Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Florida and the last week has been the first really cold wave of the year with freezing temps. I noticed my Sonata took 10-15 minutes to get all warm and toasty inside. And then it felt like it was a sauna inside and I had to turn heat way way down. But it does feel like a slower warm up then my old car.

Just wondering how the folks in the northern climates are doing to maximize heatup.........do you set the air control at maximum (4) and the heater control (red) to maximum? Do you put the air towards the "reclining man" pointing only downward so the heat can rise or do you do the combo towards your face and down?

·
Registered
486 Posts
I have been hitting both defrost buttons with fan & temp on high. Just as my older Honda Accord's, jump it it and go as soon as I can see out of the windshield,. By the time I get down the street and around the corner I have low heat, another 1/4 mile and it at almost full heat by then. My Sonata warm up seems the same as any other car I have had, surely NO worst.....Works as designed...... :beathorse:

·
Registered
349 Posts
I go out and start the car and let it run for about 5 minutes one these really cold mornings, I usually set the mode to combo so the arrows point to the floor and face and set the fan on about 3 the temp is in the red. Like I said I usually let it run for 5 minutes and then then go, within a 1/4 mile or so I've got heat blowing. I don't feel like this car takes any longer then others to warm up.

If its really important to have heat at the flip of the fan button invest in a engine block heater, most people would not install one on a gasoline engine but why not? It keeps everything toasty warm and you have heat with in a minute of starting the car. I'm sure there is one available you would just have to look around.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Turn temp all way up, fan speed 3, use inside air... using outside air initially just keeps blowing cold air through cold watered heat exchanger and keeps it cold longer... using cabin air initially will allow the water temp to come up a bit quicker.. then turn over to outside air if desired after water is hot.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Hey sbr711, you are a hyundai tech right? can you check on the availability of an engine block heater for the 2011 Sonata 2.4L. Maybe one from a prievious year fits since its still a 2.4 block? If you can let me know what you can come up with, part number would be awesome too so I can order it. All my parents vehicles had one and it makes a world of difference so I might have one put in my car.

·
Registered
94 Posts
At night I leave my heated seat turned on and use "Auto" set to temp. In morning use my compustar to start it and has read out of interior temp. After 15 min jump in and go.

·
Registered
78 Posts
21 below this morning. Started it about five minutes before I left and had heat starting by the time I got in and full heat a couple miles down the road. Doesn't really seem any different than most cars I've ever owned. I have had worse though ........ :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
i posted yesterday, that i had full engine temp and warm cozy interior temp (75) within 5 minutes of starting the car and leaving work to head home. it was around 20-23 degrees yesterday here. i find it warms up BETTER than my civic does.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Not used to this cold in fl either! I just started up my car for 5 mins and had the heat on, perfect by the time I sat in the car. This is where remote start would be nice!

·
Registered
328 Posts
QUOTE (SExy__Sonata @ Dec 14 2010, 07:55 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=379633
Hey sbr711, you are a hyundai tech right? can you check on the availability of an engine block heater for the 2011 Sonata 2.4L. Maybe one from a prievious year fits since its still a 2.4 block? If you can let me know what you can come up with, part number would be awesome too so I can order it. All my parents vehicles had one and it makes a world of difference so I might have one put in my car.
SS,

I'll chime in on the block heater comment to say it's still unavailable to U.S. dealers...meaning, it's not something your U.S. delaer can order and may never be.

My good friend lives in Canada and purchased one for me and it is on the way to Chicago as I write this. Should have it in a couple more days, and then I'll make an appt. at my local dealer for the install. The local service manager basically said "Get that part if you can, and we'll put it in for you. Don't know why Hyundai isn't letting us have it."

I've had block heaters for a couple previous cars and I think it's a fantastic accessory, not only for comfort but for long engine life.

I'll be sure to post something when I get it put in, since it is such a rare and hard-to-get item, especially for us **** Yankees.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
QUOTE (eyecue @ Dec 14 2010, 08:55 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=379661
Not used to this cold in fl either! I just started up my car for 5 mins and had the heat on, perfect by the time I sat in the car. This is where remote start would be nice!

remote start? in florida? for the cold? seriously???? :bwekk:

·
Registered
328 Posts
QUOTE (snapper41 @ Dec 14 2010, 04:13 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=379611
I have been hitting both defrost buttons with fan & temp on high. Just as my older Honda Accord's, jump it it and go as soon as I can see out of the windshield,. By the time I get down the street and around the corner I have low heat, another 1/4 mile and it at almost full heat by then. My Sonata warm up seems the same as any other car I have had, surely NO worst.....Works as designed...... :beathorse:
Agreed.

The temp guage seems a little slow to respond...perhaps it is "stepped" or graduated a little conservatively or whatever, but heat begins to emerge from my vents in a very normal time frame even if the guage still hasn't budged. Today it was 15 degrees in my garage this morning in Chicago.

Like you, I don't let my car idle to warm it, at least not since my last car in the early '80s that had a carbureator. Modern injected engines warm much more quickly, and with FAR less pollution, by simply driving it GENTLY for the first couple/few minutes and then proceeding normally.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (SExy__Sonata @ Dec 14 2010, 07:55 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=379633

I do not show 1 available in our USA catalog here..

I do show 2010 being --> 00286-F6000 BLOCK HEATER-4CYL 06 @ $67.50 ,,, sooo, I do not know right off if the GDI block carries same traits as the std block... maybe kleek can compare number to part he receives to the 2006-2010 number I have..

May be same basic heat element, but different power cord to accomodate the chassis ??

·
Registered
717 Posts
Uhh I park my car in my garage at night. Then in the morning I turn the car on and drive to work. My garage is insulated so it only drops down to around 55. No need to let it warm up for 5 minutes.

·
Registered
328 Posts
QUOTE (sbr711 @ Dec 14 2010, 12:42 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=379722
I do not show 1 available in our USA catalog here..

I do show 2010 being --> 00286-F6000 BLOCK HEATER-4CYL 06 @ $67.50 ,,, sooo, I do not know right off if the GDI block carries same traits as the std block... maybe kleek can compare number to part he receives to the 2006-2010 number I have..

May be same basic heat element, but different power cord to accomodate the chassis ??
sbr711,

When I was on the hunt for this accessory, I called a Hyundai dealership near my friend's home in Nova Scotia and got the following part # for the 2011 Sonata engine block heater: 010-AM-00001 The price is $99.95 CAN, if I recall.

With the part on order, I asked my Chicago service manager to look it up so he could at least see what the installation instructions are, but he was not able to access that number. However, I'm sure the installation will either be very obvious or the part will arrive with an instruction sheet for my local dealer to follow. Supposedly, it does NOT go in a freeze-plug, however.

(Edited to add price)

·
Registered
349 Posts
I did a google search and found a pdf file that was a sales brochure for the 2011 Canadian Sonata and in it showed a picture of a few accesories available which one happened to be the block heater it 100% looked to be a freeze plug style heater but then again I only have a picture and not the item in my hands or instalation instructions. I would be curious to see if the 2010 Sonata heater would fit our 2.4L engine because from what I understand they are both 2.4L only one is GDI which I don't think would change the block.

Klooks, if I can't find one that will work would you mind being a middle man and get you friend in Canada to order one for me? Let me know, Thanks.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I'm surprised no one has brought up the "recirculate button" (for non auto climate control folks)...I might be wrong but I use it all the time to keep the warm air when starting up

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (Klooks Kleek @ Dec 14 2010, 01:31 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=379744
sbr711,

When I was on the hunt for this accessory, I called a Hyundai dealership near my friend's home in Nova Scotia and got the following part # for the 2011 Sonata engine block heater: 010-AM-00001 The price is $99.95 CAN, if I recall.

With the part on order, I asked my Chicago service manager to look it up so he could at least see what the installation instructions are, but he was not able to access that number. (Edited to add price)

I tried to look up some other numbers posted elsewhere that originate in Canada.. NOT ON FILE... Canada must be using different numbers on some of the stuff... the number you have does not fit the std 5 digit perfix - 5 digit suffix we use here in USA.

I dont have a 2.4 here currently in shop for me to look at.. but I will try to get visual on each..

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
QUOTE (kton @ Dec 14 2010, 03:14 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=379798
I'm surprised no one has brought up the "recirculate button" (for non auto climate control folks)...I might be wrong but I use it all the time to keep the warm air when starting up
and then change to fresh air after warm-up, right? helps keep the windows from fogging, which is why the 'a/c' compressor kicks on in the 'auto' cars....to condition the air and keep windows from fogging.

·
Registered
328 Posts
QUOTE (sbr711 @ Dec 14 2010, 04:20 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=379804
I tried to look up some other numbers posted elsewhere that originate in Canada.. NOT ON FILE... Canada must be using different numbers on some of the stuff... the number you have does not fit the std 5 digit perfix - 5 digit suffix we use here in USA.

I dont have a 2.4 here currently in shop for me to look at.. but I will try to get visual on each..

Thanks, I'll bet that's exactly what stymied my Chicago dealer, too.

Part should be here relatively soon...maybe by Friday? I really don't know what method of shipping my friend selected other than postal mail, nor do I know how expeditious Canada/US delivery is and what level of service he selected. Poor guy is father of new twins, had to fill out a customs declaration and get it to the P.O. on his lunch hour...he probably took on more than he expected bewtween picking it up at the dealership and getting it to the P.O. during their hours of business.

I'll post a pic when it gets here, and then I'll be off to the dealer to get it put in.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts