Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I've got everything else worked out for an android had unit to replace the h290 radio radio in my 2002 Sonata GLS, but I have to get the camera cable to the back. It's thin, flexible, 3c, round. I want to follow the antenna cable on the driver's side. I have the covers off in the trunk. I have cut the cable and will splice it back inside the trunk, near the reverse lamp. So i want to feed the wire from front to back. I don't readily see how to get into the wire passage, except near the driver's seat. I would like not to disassemble the interior just to learn.
Any tips how to push or fish it through more easily? Must I remove the rear seat side and bottom? If so, how?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
To answer my own question - it's done and satisfactory. Antenna took a bad route under console and driver's seat, so i ran the camera cable across under the dash and through or along the driver's-side wiring under the doors. The provided cable was too short, so i had to splice in some extra 3c cable (used audio patch cord). Splicing should be done with solder, and insulation with heart shrink tube, where possible.

The rear seat had to go. First removed the small fold-down portion. Must remove the outside hinge from the body, as it retains other things. Otherwise you can unscrew the seatbacks from the hinge.

Then you have easy access to remove two screws for the seat bottom. Then find two forward clip releases at the front base of the seats, push in, pull up.
Then remove the screw that holds the side cushion and push up, off hook.

Pull soft door moldings/seals away from door bottoms. Pull rigid upper covers out carefully and straight, for least harm to fasteners. Pry step moldings up carefully and straight, same reason.

There are conduits under the step moldings. You can use them or go around them. Use stiff wire with tape to tease the cable through the back deck, alongside the antenna cable. Use tie-wraps where you must to keep the cable out of harm's way.

Splice the black wire from video power to a black wire on the trunk, because the trunk is not grounded. Splice the red wire to the red wire on the video cable. Cut the video cable generously to follow other cables to the reverse lamp. Tease it through the trunk conduit. Splice the red conductor to the reverse lamp+ and the red conductor in the cable going forward. Splice the yellow (video) and black (ground) through. Connect the red to reverse "backup" at the head unit.

Check all the molding clips. You'll have to reshape some of them to reuse them. Assemble seats and covers and moldings in reverse.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts