Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Tips and Tricks

I'm putting this sticky together for those who have a 2010-2012 Santa Fe. I decided to put this together because I find the owner's manual very vague and too packed with warnings (I counted 257!) so just keep in mind that your Santa Fe may not have all the features listed here. Some of these tips may not work in 07-09 models although some may. Please also be aware that trim levels mentioned here are for USA-spec vehicles. For Canadian vehicles, the GLS is the GL model and SE is the Sport trim.

Steering Wheel Audio Controls:

Powering On and Off
> If the stereo is off, press 'MODE' to turn it on.
> If the stereo is on, you can press and hold 'MODE' to turn it off.

Seeking/Scanning
> To seek up or down instead of moving through the presets, press and hold the up or down button on the wheel until a beep is heard. The radio will start seeking or scanning in that direction.
> Release the button to stop seek/scan.
> Tap either button to return to your presets.

XM Satellite Radio Text Function
- Often times the song title is too long to fit on the display at one time and gets cut off, often in mid-word. This will allow you to view the rest of the title (and on the Decades channels, the year the song came out!).

> Tap the 'INFO' button twice to bring up the text display.
> Rotate the tune knob to the right one click.
> After one or two seconds, the second portion of the text will appear.

Note: This is for non-navigation radios only. The radio can only display two 'pages' of text so some titles may be too long for the radio to display. Failure to display the entire title does not necessarily constitute a malfunction of the radio.
Note 2: In the event both artist and title are too long to display at once, the radio will scroll the artist first and title second.

OR...

If you would like the display to always show artist and title information, follow these simple steps:

> Press 'SETUP' and scroll to 'XM' and press the tune knob in.
> If you like it showing the category and channel, choose 'CAT/CHAN' but if you want it to show song information all the time, select 'TITLE/ARTIST'.

iPod Text / CD Text Function - When using the proper Hyundai iPod cable or playing a disc with CD Text capability, full song, artist and album information can be accessed.

> Press the 'INFO' button repeatedly to cycle through song title, artist, and album as well as other information.
> In CD mode, this will also give you information regarding the disc's total number of tracks.

Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror - SE & Limited Only

> If the green light is on, the mirror will dim automatically in response to following headlights in dark conditions. To disable this, press the power button and the green light will turn off. Keep in mind the mirror will default to automatic mode the next time the ignition is cycled.
> To turn off the compass display in the mirror, press the compass icon button (on the far right on Homelink mirror). Press it again to turn the compass back on.

Adjusting the Compass Zone & Calibrating the Compass - SE & Limited Only - The compass was set at the factory for the magnetic zone in Alabama but on the off chance you don't live there, you might notice your compass isn't spot on. Click here for a compass zone map and follow the instructions below to set the zone to your place of residence.

> Press and hold the compass button for no less than three but no more than six seconds. The display will switch from your present heading to the zone that the compass is set to. Chances are it will still be set to the zone that Alabama falls in and as a result, show the number 8.
> Tap the compass button until you come to the number where your location falls on the map. For example, my town of Portland, Oregon is in zone 4.
> When you reach your zone, release the button and the compass will revert to its heading within 5 seconds.

My compass was slightly off after I set the zone so you might need to calibrate yours. Here's how to do that. I suggest doing this in a wide open space like a parking lot or cul-de-sac where you can make several complete circles with the car without hitting anything.

> With the heading displayed, press and hold the compass button. The zone number will come up but continue to hold it until a 'C' appears in the display.
> Start driving in a circle at no more than 5 mph (8 kph) until the heading reappears in the display.
> You may need to make up to three rotations although mine popped back up after less than one.

Note: After a long journey where the vehicle has passed through one or more zones, you will likely notice a loss of compass accuracy. This is normal. Calibrating it upon arrival at your final destination should solve any inaccuracies you may observe.

Programming Homelink for a Rolling Code Garage Door Opener - Limited Only - The owners manual is very poorly worded in regards to this and because of its lack of useful instruction, I struggled to program my Homelink for well over half an hour. I'm putting this in here to save you from needless aggravation and wasted time. Please be aware that all garage door openers manufactured in 1996 or later are rolling code designs.

> Make sure the car is away from the door and that pets and children are clear of the area.
> Turn the ignition to 'ON' but don't start the engine.
> Take your existing pre-programmed clicker and hold it up to the mirror. Choose the button on the mirror that you wish to program (1, 2 or 3) and press and hold it while pressing and holding the existing clicker. The red light on the mirror will flash slowly.
> Continue to hold both buttons until the red light on the mirror flashes rapidly, then release both buttons.
> Locate the 'Train' or 'Learn' button on the opener motor itself and press it. You should have between 30 seconds and one minute to complete the process, depending on the make and model of garage door opener.
> Return to the car and press and hold the button you programmed to the clicker. Your garage door opener light should flash and/or make a clicking sound to indicate the programming was successful.
> Test the button on the mirror to confirm successful programming.
> If you continue to experience difficulties, consult the manual for your garage door opener.

Bluetooth Phone Contacts not Syncing to Car - Android - Some Android system phones will require authorization for the car's Bluetooth system to access contacts and recent calls, even after pairing. Should you experience this, follow these instructions and you should be good to go.

> After you pair the phone with the car, you'll see a message scroll across the top or pop up that says something to the effect of 'SantaFe is attempting to access your contacts list'.
> Drag down the top menu bar and tap on the Bluetooth message (Motorola phones)
> It will ask you if you want to give the car permission to access the contacts and recent calls lists.
> Say yes and make sure the box is checked to 'Allow Every Time'.

Bluetooth Phone Contacts not Syncing to Car - iPhone - The iPhone usually applies these settings by default but should you want to change them or having difficulty accessing contacts, check the following.

> Select 'Settings' and choose the 'General' option.
> Select 'Bluetooth' and click on the blue arrow in the 'SantaFe' bubble.
> Make sure 'Sync Contacts', 'Phone Favorites', and 'Phone Recents' are all set to 'ON' and that 'All Contacts' is checked in the 'Other Groups' bubble.

Power Glass Sunroof - SE (if equipped) & Limited Only

> The sunroof is one-touch for open, close and tilt up so only a brief push in the desired direction is needed.
> You will have to hold the switch to close it from the tilted position.
> The sunroof is not part of the delayed power accessory so ensure it is completely closed before parking the car, especially if you park your car outside.

Note: The sunroof contains an anti-pinch function that will stop and reverse the closing sunroof if any obstruction is detected during the auto-close.

IMPORTANT! The sunshade can still be closed even if the glass is tilted up. Ensure the sunroof is completely closed before leaving the car or entering an automatic car wash.

Front Wiper De-icing Grid - This feature will help thaw the rubber wiper blades from the windshield in cold, snowy or icy weather but is also helpful for clearing snow build-up on the blades even with the wipers on at speed.

> Ironically enough, this feature is activated by the rear defroster switch.
> This feature will turn itself off automatically after 15 minutes.

The engine must be running in order to use the rear defroster/deicer grid feature.

Heated Exterior Mirrors - This is a very handy feature if the mirror glass gets coated in frost, snow, ice or condensation. Do not use a scraper or credit card to clear the mirror glass as you'll risk scratching the surface.

> This feature is activated by the rear defroster switch.

Keep in mind it will take longer to clear the mirror of ice accumulations than it will light frost or condensation.

Rear Wiper - The manual makes pretty much no helpful mention of this either so I'll try to clear things up.

> There actually is an intermittent mode for the rear wiper and it cycles every six seconds.
> Turn the rear wiper barrel to 'ON'.
> The rear wiper will cycle continuously three times and then enter the delay mode.

Clock

> To convert the clock to 24 hour time, press and hold the 'R' button until the clock flashes '24:00', then release.
> To revert to 12 hour time, repeat the process until the clock flashes '12:00'.

Be aware that the car counts in 24 hour time even when displaying 12 hour time (i.e. 8:32 in 12 hour time may be shown as 08:32 or 20:32) so keep in mind you may need to reset the hour after conversion from 12 to 24 hour time.

Changing Outside Temperature Display - GLS & SE Only

> Pull up the outside temperature display in the trip computer by pressing 'TRIP'
> Press and hold 'RESET' for five seconds or until the display switches temperature measurements.

Automatic Climate Control - Limited Only

> To convert the display from Fahrenheit to Celsius (or vice versa), press and hold the 'MODE ˇ' and 'DUAL' buttons.
> To revert, repeat the process.

Note: This process will also convert the outside temperature display to the new measurement system.

Delayed Accessory Power

> This will allow you to close any windows left open for up to 45 seconds after the ignition is switched off.

Note: The power delay will immediately cancel if a door is opened.

IMPORTANT! The sunroof is not included in the delayed accessory power so make sure it is completely closed before turning the ignition off.

Automatic Door Locks - This feature can be set by your dealer, usually at no cost.

Lock Settings - Car can be set to lock...
> When shifted out of park (factory default)
> At 20 kph (12.5 mph)
> At 25 kph (15.5 mph)
> At 30 kph (18.6 mph)
> At 35 kph (21.7 mph)
> At 40 kph (25 mph)
> Disabled

Unlock Settings - Car can be set to unlock...
> When shifted into park (factory default)
> When key is removed from ignition
> Disabled

Note: The dealer's diagnostic computer shows the speed figures in KPH so you will have to tell your dealer what speed you want in KPH, even if you are in the USA.

As I think and discover more of these helpful little features, I'll edit them here and you know of one I missed, don't hesitate to let me know. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you for the tips.

I was wondering if there is any way to make the audio system remember "shuffle on" setting? Currently, as soon as I turn off the car or Audio system, it "forgets" the "shuffle on" feature and goes to "shuffle off" mode. This is very annoying and something I miss from my Camry (modified stereo). It does this with CD and USB sources.

I am considering a third party Navigation screen with hard drive (probably not a screen in the back) partly due to this problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Great info in here. Does anyone know if you can make it so the door locks automatically lock when the car is shifted into gear and then automatically unlock when the car goes to park or the key is turned off?

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My 2010 did that from the factory and I believe it can be set via Hi-Scan at your dealership.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi-Scan is Hyundai's diagnostic computer but it also has the ability to personalize certain features of the car. You will need to go to the dealer to see if they can activate the feature; it's not something a standard OBDII hand-held can take care of.

·
Registered
39 Posts
What else can the Hi-Scan do? Can it make the remote unlock all doors with one push of the remotes button?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (lovemysantafe @ Oct 22 2010, 08:43 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=365550
Hi-Scan is Hyundai's diagnostic computer but it also has the ability to personalize certain features of the car. You will need to go to the dealer to see if they can activate the feature; it's not something a standard OBDII hand-held can take care of.

Hi-Scan is only usefull up to about 2007-2008 for general stuff anymore... almost obsolete..

GDS is the way to go, Laptop with all HYUNDAI software,,, I have the software installed to the full size PC in my work area :banana: , so I dont have to share the laptop anymore :banana: ... I even gots my own Vehicle Communication Interface.. :banana:

Pics :

1 - PC in my area.. I have USB cable inside cabinet that hangs out on desk top, then I can use my card reader (seen hanging),, thumb drives, external CD player

2 - VCI

3 - Laptop they bought for the "Value Kit" GDS... Took it home to install GDS software and update here on Road Runner

4 - Software disc in back, update disc on top, then had to get on-line and get rest of downloads from Hyundai site

5 - Actual GDS as supplied from Hyundai,, Panasonic Tough Book, dock station, printer, all on roll around cart

Attachments

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for correcting me, sbr. What can GDS do in terms of personalization?

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
QUOTE (hfthomp @ Oct 22 2010, 12:32 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=365463
Great info in here. Does anyone know if you can make it so the door locks automatically lock when the car is shifted into gear and then automatically unlock when the car goes to park or the key is turned off?
Only the first half of your request is possible, and per above, it's a dealer programmable thing - nothing you can do. They can even select (within a range) the specific locking speed.

The 2nd half - have never seen the "Park" unlock feature on any vehicle, and is probably considered a bad idea by the manufacturers. Can't you picture a few places where you'd get stuck in traffic or at RR tracks where you'd consider shifting to Park while you wait, and would really prefer that your doors remain locked?

·
Registered
65 Posts
QUOTE (canderson @ Oct 23 2010, 11:46 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=365642
Only the first half of your request is possible, and per above, it's a dealer programmable thing - nothing you can do. They can even select (within a range) the specific locking speed.

The 2nd half - have never seen the "Park" unlock feature on any vehicle, and is probably considered a bad idea by the manufacturers. Can't you picture a few places where you'd get stuck in traffic or at RR tracks where you'd consider shifting to Park while you wait, and would really prefer that your doors remain locked?
My Torrent locked when shifted to Drive and unlocked when you put the vehicle in park. I'll have to check, but I'm quite sure my Santa Fe does that as well. I say that as when I pick up my wife after work, I either have to unlock the doors OR put the vehicle in park for her to get in.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
QUOTE (canderson @ Oct 23 2010, 07:46 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=365642
Apparently Hyundai thought it was a good idea because my '10 locks when you shift out of park and unlocks when you shift back into park. Considering I put my car in park when I'm at the ATM, it might be a security issue.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
QUOTE (lovemysantafe @ Oct 24 2010, 01:48 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=365833
Apparently Hyundai thought it was a good idea because my '10 locks when you shift out of park and unlocks when you shift back into park. Considering I put my car in park when I'm at the ATM, it might be a security issue.
That really surprises me. Wasn't even an option on the models prior. I wonder if this is programmable as was the locking speed before? I'd sure be asking my dealer about it. I can almost understand unlock in park AND with the key out of the ignition, but not just in Park. Too many reasons not to want it unlocked. Ever get stuck at a railroad grade in a lousy part of town?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have a 2010 Santa Fe SE. How do you activate the "Delayed Accessory Power"?
My vehicle does not automatically close the windows.

Does my vehicle come with Homelink as standard? How would I know if i got it?

Thanks.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No car will automatically close the windows when you turn the ignition off and the delayed accessory should be standard. Remember that if you open a door, the power delay is immediately canceled.

·
Registered
56 Posts
QUOTE (lovemysantafe @ Oct 24 2010, 05:48 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=365973
No car will automatically close the windows when you turn the ignition off and the delayed accessory should be standard. Remember that if you open a door, the power delay is immediately canceled.
Oh I misunderstood what delayed accessory power meant. I got it now.

Hey how would I l know if my vehicle comes with Homelink as standard? How would I know if i got it?

·
Registered
75 Posts
QUOTE (ojtwelve @ Oct 24 2010, 05:43 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=365972
I have a 2010 Santa Fe SE. How do you activate the "Delayed Accessory Power"?
My vehicle does not automatically close the windows.

Does my vehicle come with Homelink as standard? How would I know if i got it?

Thanks.
I could be wrong, but I think what it actually means is that you can press the window switches to close the windows within 45 secs of the ignition being turned off, it does not mean the car will automatically do this, or do it if you hold down the lock button on the keyfob remote (some previous cars I've owned would allow this).

As to others comments about the unlock when in park and lock when in drive, I too can confirm that my 2010 Santa Fe GL does this. I'm somewhat annoyed that there isn't a way for me to change the settings and I'd need to visit the dealer to do it. My mother-in-law's civic has a similar feature, but it's possible to change the settings of it yourself, and it lists the various modes available in the owners manual, along with the procedure to do it. I wish we could do that.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
QUOTE (ojtwelve @ Oct 24 2010, 03:00 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=365980
Oh I misunderstood what delayed accessory power meant. I got it now.

Hey how would I l know if my vehicle comes with Homelink as standard? How would I know if i got it?
Look at your rear view mirror and you will see three buttons running along the bottom with an arrow going into a garage on each one. As far as I know, only auto-dimming mirrors had the feature. I'd take a picture of mine for you but unfortunately it's at a body shop and I won't get it back until tomorrow. :(

·
Registered
25 Posts
Good sticky, I was going to tackle the (expletive) garage door opener this weekend, and found the manual to be not helpful!

1 - 20 of 81 Posts