Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My alternator shorted out after oil from the timing chain cover leaked onto it. This seems very much the same issue with gaskets that caused the valve cover recall/fix. Has anyone else heard of or experienced this f so did Hyundai Canada cover the cost of the repair? I have only 123K km on the vehicle so far. My concern is that there may be an overall issue with the gaskets that were factory installed and that I am now just waiting for the next one to fail.
Caused the battery to go dead and the vehicle to die on me while driving in heavy traffic.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Any updates? Do you have a documented proof that the timing cover leaked onto the alternator? Have you considered filing a claim to Transport Canada? It seems like a reason for a new recall.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My dealer completed the repair at my expense. They would not agree that this is the same type of issue that caused the valve cover recall. I had not had the time to submit a claim to Transport Canada, but I will be in the near future. Please let me know how it works out for you and I will continue to keep this thread updated with any news.

·
Registered
23 Posts
In my case, dealership inspected and found that both timing cover gasket and valve cover gasket were leaking. However, they said that the leak onto the alternator can not be from the timing cover. I called Hyundai Canada and made them aware that even though the oil leak recall was completed on my car (by previous owner) in 2014, it was still leaking. They said very clearly that this problem is known to reoccur and the recall is still valid, and recall repair can be repeated as many times as needed. Dealer replaced a valve cover gasket and installed new alternator for free.

I declined timing cover leak repair, which was quoted to cost $1600.

How much did they charge you for the timing cover fix?

·
Registered
23 Posts
If you have a proof that the timing cover can also leak onto the alternator, I would suggest definitely contacting to Transport Canada with details, they may start investigation. The nature of a problem may be very similar, why should not be it covered, because it is more expensive?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have experienced the same problem on our 2011 Veracruiz. Our problem developed long before Hyundai recognized the problem with any oil leak. At 15k I noticed oil residue down the lower front of the engine and dripping off the oil pan. The dealer said the wind from highway pushed oil back up the front of the engine from a bad oil pan seal, resealed. At 25k the residue was back and covered the alternator. They then replaced the valve cover gasket on the front cover. I cleaned everything up top to bottom and kept a close watch on it. Sure enough the oil residue slowly sowed back up and the gasket was changed again at around 70k. After the second repair the technician stated that if that didn't cure it the leak must be coming from the timing cover seal located adjacent to the valve cover. Guess what, at just over 100k the alternator went out and it was covered with oil again. The dealer refused to honer any repair because it was out of warranty. The next day after charging up the battery I drove down to the dealer. I had a heated argument with the service manager as to why the alternator failed. Reluctantly the manager agreed and they replaced the alternator and the same valve cover gasket for the third time, still not the cure. Within 20k miles I noticed the oil buildup again and discovered the poor work that was performed on the last repair. Smashed the electrical plug to the ac compressor (located directly below), broke every possible retaining clip that holds the wiring harness in place, left out bolts and severely scuffed up the back side of the radiator. Because of this I took it to a different dealer and explained how unhappy I was with the previous dealers repairs and hoped they would do better. Kept the car for nearly three weeks and supposedly had the factory rep involved. They performed the factory recall procedure, replaced alternator and valve cover gasket and added some RTV. You guessed it, still leaks. I'm currently battling with Hyundai and dealer to have the timing cover gasket repaired and a third alternator installed (currently failed again) and saturated with oil. What do you wan't to bet its the timing cover and not the valve cover gasket.

·
Registered
23 Posts
silvertimber, keep us posted about the outcome of your battle and good luck.

The valve cover gasket on my VC failed again (after 2 months / 6k miles). Poor quality job, it was obvious that leak was from the valve cover (easy to visually examine it with a mirror). Dealer replaced it again for free (just the gasket, the alternator was working properly). I would advice everyone with the oil leak issues to buy 12V car battery monitor so you notice alternator charging issues earlier before it kills battery. In addition, check for oil leaks (alternator should not have any oil residues) every time you fill up a gas tank.

Hyundai technical service bulletin about the valve cover gasket leak is here https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2014/RCRIT-14V415-5784.pdf. Good idea to have it checked and be prepared before visiting a dealer or contacting Hyundai.

My VC also has a timing cover leak, but all Hyundai dealers I visited insist that (at least in my case) it can not affect the alternator. It's obvious that these engines have some very serious design flaws.

·
Registered
882 Posts
silvertimber, keep us posted about the outcome of your battle and good luck.

My VC also has a timing cover leak, but all Hyundai dealers I visited insist that (at least in my case) it can not affect the alternator. It's obvious that these engines have some very serious design flaws.
Before consulting Hyundai you should check PCV valve first. I don't believe that the new valve cover seal failed so fast. The valve cover is on the top of engine, while oil is at the bottom. If valve cover is leaking, it indicates that the internal engine pressure is too high like pressure pot, and may have internal leaking somewhere else. The gas from cylinders sometimes past the engine’s piston rings and go to the crankcase, and PCV is the part that releasing the crankcase pressure

·
Registered
23 Posts
Before consulting Hyundai you should check PCV valve first. I don't believe that the new valve cover seal failed so fast. The valve cover is on the top of engine, while oil is at the bottom. If valve cover is leaking, it indicates that the internal engine pressure is too high like pressure pot, and may have internal leaking somewhere else. The gas from cylinders sometimes past the engine’s piston rings and go to the crankcase, and PCV is the part that releasing the crankcase pressure

That is generally true, and I agree, it is a good idea to have PCV valve inspected/replaced. However, "strange" is that the leak develops only above the alternator. This is well known design flaw and is the reason of the recall. People have had this problem multiple times even on new VCs.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've joined this club too. Had the VC redone about a month ago, but the leak was still there. Today the dealer checked it and says that the leak is actually from the timing cover and also the oil pan. I'm holding off having those done--$2000 is a bit more than I'm ready to sink into this quite yet. Interestingly, oil on the alternator again is what sent me in, so they seem to be saying the oil on the alternator is getting there because of a timing cover leak. Sure would love to see a recall covering 2009 for this!

EDIT: I just noticed this was in the Veracruz forum, not Santa Fe. Still sounds like the issue is the same though, so I'll leave it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Similar Issues....All covered

Had a similar issue. 2009 Sante Fe 3.3L GLS. Valve cover replaced as per recall once at 80k. But they neglected to replace the alternator, had the car die at 82k and had it towed in. They apologized and replaced alternator and battery. Fast forward, 40k. Valve cover leaking again. Replaced as per recall still stands and it was the same issue. Fast forward 50k. Car now has 165k and the valve covers are leaking again as well as the timing cover. Took it to a delaership. Quoted me $3000 to fix it all. I said bs because this is the same recurring issue. They agreed to cover just valve covers but charge me for timing cover ($2100 still). I fought them and called Hyundai Canada. After much hassle, everything was covered. Timing cover, new alternator, new battery, and valve covers replaced free. Now time to get rid of this heap of junk.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts