Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone

Posted ages ago about my NF making a rough noise pretty much all the time, sounds like the chains are loose when letting go of the accelerator peddle, like there's some slack.

However there are no error codes. Is this normal? If there was a problem with the tensioner or chains would it throw a code?

Anyway, I'm thinking they should probably be replaced. How much is the full kit and where can I buy it from? I'm in Australia, wish I bought these earlier when the exchange rate was better :(

How much roughly would install be? Anyone in Australia know a good place to get this done?

Keen to hear.

Kind Regards

Elyse

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Dunno 'bout mechanics or costs in AU, but I'm sure a bad timing chain or tensioner wouldn't throw an error code.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To clear this up, are these the parts for a full timing chain replacement or just tensioner? Seems really cheap, around $130... just need to add labour to that.

Any ideas?

Thanks so much for everyones help.

·
Registered
143 Posts
The parts listed in the TSB are for the chain tensioner replacement only.

What is the powertrain warranty in Australia??

To clear this up, are these the parts for a full timing chain replacement or just tensioner? Seems really cheap, around $130... just need to add labour to that.

Any ideas?

Thanks so much for everyones help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am a hyundai mechanic for a local dealership in australia, the timing chain's on the 3.3L NF sonata are not the easiest to do as space is very limited, between the engine and strut tower/chassis rail, this will increase the labor times. The warranty times are what is claimable for the dealership from the manufacturer, sometimes we can carry out the job quicker then the times, sometimes it takes alot longer.

And to answer timk22's question, powertrain warranty in australia is generally 5 years unlimited km's.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
TSB only covers Tensioner replace.. add price for (2) chains and added labor accordingly

We nominally charge around 11 hr shop labor for the tensioner replacement as customer pay(have to double check our price guide Monday), possibly 13-14 hr for chains/tensioner/re-seal job

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Where can I find the part numbers for the chains??

So possibly looking at about $1300+ , then another $200 or so for parts. Might as well just sell this heap of junk and get a decent car.

·
Registered
143 Posts
243123C100 - US $51 ea online price (need 2). No idea how much in Australia.

Check out Hyundai Parts - Authentic OEM Hyundai Parts direct from Jim Ellis Hyundai | Jim Ellis Hyundai Parts for parts info. Plug in make/yr/model and look around. Has diagrams and part number info.

Where can I find the part numbers for the chains??

So possibly looking at about $1300+ , then another $200 or so for parts. Might as well just sell this heap of junk and get a decent car.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts