Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How often should I have the timeing chain changed? My Accent has now well over 100k on it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
422 Posts
This component should never have to be replaced, however in reality they fail quite often.
There is no specific time period in which the timing chain should be replaced.

They are quite difficult to replace if you are determined to carry out the repair properly, which i hope you do! :mellow:

If you are prepared to carry out this repair, then reply to this post and I will put up a list of tools that will be required to carry out the repair properly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by Dr. Hundi@Oct 24 2004, 12:18 AM
This component should never have to be replaced, however in reality they fail quite often.
There is no specific time period in which the timing chain should be replaced.

They are quite difficult to replace if you are determined to carry out the repair properly, which i hope you do! :mellow:

If you are prepared to carry out this repair, then reply to this post and I will put up a list of tools that will be required to carry out the repair properly.
[snapback]1959[/snapback]​


I'll be having my mechanic do it. I wouldn't know how to change the oil in my car. Thanks for the tip.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
422 Posts
OK, that's fair enough.
Just be sure to purchase both a timing chain and chain guide.
Just replacing one or the other will not rectify your dilemma.

Good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
Originally posted by NJ Tom@Oct 23 2004, 03:33 PM
How often should I have the timeing chain changed?  My Accent has now well over 100k on it.
[snapback]1947[/snapback]​

..
My experience and all my friends' experience is 100 000Kms is a must to change the timing belt, otherwise you are going to put your car in so many troubles if that belt slipped or cut when you are driving.

So avoiding all trouble... I THINK 85 000 Km is queit good for changing that stupid belt....and it is stupid because it is very very very difficult to change by yourself...you have to go to a mechaninc..


thanks all. :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
329 Posts
For clarification - Dr Hundi an I exchanged comments on this in another post -

If the engine has a single camshaft, there is only a timing belt that turns the cam shaft.

If its a dual overhead cam (DOHC) there is a timing chain as well as a a timing belt. The timing chain is at the opposite end of the engine and joins the two cam shafts.

The timing chain itself will last as long as the engine but the parts that guide the chain can wear out causing a lot of noise and leading to eventual failure. If Usually this is a rattling sound like holding a screwdriver against a bicycle chain, as opposed to the squeeling sound that a worn timing belt or idler bearing will cause.

It should be fairly easy to tell from which end of the engine a noise is coming from.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
422 Posts
Once again Gordo you have not failed to impress! :)

The timing belt replacement interval is at 90 000km's.

At this service, every servicable item is replaced, bar the fuel filter and drive belts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Originally posted by NJ Tom@Oct 24 2004, 10:37 AM
I'll be having my mechanic do it.  I wouldn't know how to change the oil in my car.  Thanks for the tip.
[snapback]1969[/snapback]​


My hyundai accent has a timing belt rather than a chain, as I though all accents did. My owners manual says it should be replaced after 60,000 miles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,851 Posts
The upper chain guide was omitted in 1998, and the upper guide must be remover on the earlier models with 1.5ltr DOHC engines.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top