Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. My 2008 sonata has 312000 miles on it. I use the car on the highway with a carpool and am getting concerned about a break down, because more than just me will be stranded. Is there any way to tell if a timing chain is on the way out?

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
At this point in time, unless you hear noise from a loose chain, I'd leave it alone as it would require the front cover to be removed and once in there, with the mileage, you'd certainly need replacement guides, tensioners etc.
Our old '08 Optima with the 2.4, 294,000 miles, still runs fine, drive it 'til it dies.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
A good indicator of a warn timing chain is a code P0017. This is telling you that the cam and crank are out of sync which will log if the timing chain or gears have worn outside their limits. Also listen for noises after the engine has reached operating temperature at a high idle speed.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanx for the input, guys. For now, I’m driving my wife’s 2004 xg350, 108000 miles. It’s a pig. Needs a new cat and plugs, I assume. The rear plugs scare me. Not that much of a mechanic.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts