Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,new to forums and this sight. My question is I have a 2007 3.3 Sonata and today I've noticed a ticking sound coming from the drivers side of the engine.The car has 39000km. I have been reading some other posts in regards with the timing chain tensioner and this is what I'm thinking it might be. The ticking noise does not go away though, even after restarts. I used to run Puro filters ,but I seen the bulletin at Hyundai on OEM filters so that is what I used last oil change. It was just at the dealer for a O2 sensor(Warranty) but that should have nothing to do with it. I'm thinking of going to the dealer in regards with the TSB I've found from this forum. ANY THOUGHTS? By the way it almost sounds like a sewing machine.

Thanks.

·
Banned
7,070 Posts
QUOTE (detroit diesel @ Jun 8 2010, 09:36 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=331110
Hi everyone,new to forums and this sight. My question is I have a 2007 3.3 Sonata and today I've noticed a ticking sound coming from the drivers side of the engine.The car has 39000km. I have been reading some other posts in regards with the timing chain tensioner and this is what I'm thinking it might be. The ticking noise does not go away though, even after restarts. I used to run Puro filters ,but I seen the bulletin at Hyundai on OEM filters so that is what I used last oil change. It was just at the dealer for a O2 sensor(Warranty) but that should have nothing to do with it. I'm thinking of going to the dealer in regards with the TSB I've found from this forum. ANY THOUGHTS? By the way it almost sounds like a sewing machine.

Thanks.
Your description of the Noise does not sound like others I have read. We do have complaints about ticking, but mostly on the 2.4 :00000732:
http://www.amdmaddness.com/sonata/tsb/timi...replacement.pdf

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
QUOTE (detroit diesel @ Jun 8 2010, 11:36 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=331110

Thanks.
Hi detroit diesel, and welcome to the Hyundai-Forums!

The timing chain tensioner problem makes a loud grinding sound that lasts from a couple
of seconds to maybe 10 seconds, before oil pressure comes up.

What you're describing sounds more like valve train noise. All-aluminum engines with solid valve train
using thin oil is a recipe for noise. Are you hearing the noise with the hood up, hood down, sitting in
the cabin, engine warm or cold? It's normal to be loud with hood up, less noise with hood down, and
just a light tapping sitting in the cabin at idle. If you hear it loudly inside the cabin at idle, it's probably
abnormal. It's abnormal to hear valve train noise driving over 10mph with a warm engine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
QUOTE (detroit diesel @ Jun 8 2010, 10:36 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=331110

Thanks.
No its not quite like that

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
QUOTE (MiamiLX @ Jun 9 2010, 12:10 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=331124
Your description of the Noise does not sound like others I have read. We do have complaints about ticking, but mostly on the 2.4 :00000732:
http://www.amdmaddness.com/sonata/tsb/timi...replacement.pdf
I first started hearing it at idle at a stop light.When I got home I popped the hood and it was even louder. It is definitely not normal as you can hear it quite noticeably when the hood is closed.I have always run synthetic 5w 20, so I'm thinking it has to be the valve train.
Thanks for the welcome

·
Registered
550 Posts
QUOTE (bobad @ Jun 9 2010, 12:48 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=331287
What you're describing sounds more like valve train noise. All-aluminum engines with solid valve train
using thin oil is a recipe for noise.
I'm thinking the same thing. (Does the 3.3 use solid valve lifters and require adjustment?) Detroit Diesel, how does the engine sound when you first start it in the morning and it is still cold? Does it sound normal (tight)? Does the tapping noise increase after the engine gets hot? If yes, that may imply certain small spaces in the valve train increase after the metals heat/expand and begin to slap. You may want to try slightly thicker 5W30 oil.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
QUOTE (Blue07 @ Jun 10 2010, 04:53 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=331593
I'm thinking the same thing. (Does the 3.3 use solid valve lifters and require adjustment?) Detroit Diesel, how does the engine sound when you first start it in the morning and it is still cold? Does it sound normal (tight)? Does the tapping noise increase after the engine gets hot? If yes, that may imply certain small spaces in the valve train increase after the metals heat/expand and begin to slap. You may want to try slightly thicker 5W30 oil.
It only does it when it is warmed up.When I first start it it does seem like it is not as tight as it should be , and it does seem like you can hear a slight noise at times.I am not sure if this engine has lifters with the OHC.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My 2007 V-6 has tapped/ticked since I bought it new. Only when warm, and is worst when I exit the freeway. 99,000 miles now, still the same.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yeah I also have an 07' 3.3, 48K. On cold start-ups it does sound louder, but as soon as the engine temp is warm, it idles nearly silent in the cabin. From outside with hood closed, as others have said, slight ticking (always just thought it was the way it normally sounds). Hood popped, it's just a typical quiet idle with a faint tick....idk. I'm sure it's fine man, you don't want to start over listening for things.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts