Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Just purchase a 2011 Elantra with 140k miles on. The owner said it needs a New Timing Chain and the other related parts.

From the Owner - The car stalled one time at a light (not sure if happen more then once) and restarted.

Note: I drove it 30 min in stop and go traffic and ran Ok Did not stall.

He took it to a Local Tire Store that does all Car Repair Work.

They said that the Timing Chain was bad and needed to be replaced. Quoted him like $1500 to fix - so he sold the car.

My question is - How to check if the Timing Chain is really needs to be replaced???

Thank you

·
Banned
6,990 Posts
Does it run? If so, does it rattle for a couple seconds when starting up cold?

·
Registered
2008 Accent 3 dr 5 sp manual; 2010 Genesis Coupe 2LT track 6 sp manual
8,848 Posts
One way is to take off the valve cover and see how much deflection you can get on the chain when you push down on it in the center between the cams. Beware there is a special sequence for tightening the valve cover bolts usually when reinstalling. The gasket should be able to be reused.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I would have never bought it to begin with. Now its your headache minus money. I've never had to replace timing chains as they should never go to begin with. If they do, something is very wrong with the car.

·
Registered
8,848 Posts
On my 2L Gen Coupe motor the chain was not up to the peak rpm I guess. OE it is the same as the 2.4L Sonata motor I think. But they made a beefier chain for the newer +2012 models. It had more link pieces per link.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One way is to take off the valve cover and see how much deflection you can get on the chain when you push down on it in the center between the cams. Beware there is a special sequence for tightening the valve cover bolts usually when reinstalling. The gasket should be able to be reused.

I see the chain will go down to the Cam covers - that is not normal? Could that be the tensioner moving?

What would happen if you pull up on it - could that tell you anything? Thanks

·
Registered
2016 Elantra GT and 2011 Elantra Touring
610 Posts
A good technician with the right [expensive] scan tool should be able to look at the data from the computer when the engine is running and if he/she see the position of the camshafts relative to the crankshaft is out of limits then you know there is a problem with the chain/guides/VVT position solenoids etc.

·
Registered
983 Posts
I would have never bought it to begin with. Now its your headache minus money. I've never had to replace timing chains as
they should never go to begin with.
If they do, something is very wrong with the car.
[/QUOTE
they should never go to begin with.
With proper oil &Filter changes that holds True. but sometimes people will extend or neglect there oil changes to long and that's why? it wears the timing chain guides down. usually worn timing chains become noisy and get worse over time until they snap apart like a pretzel.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The guy I got it from took it to a Local Tire Store which said it was the Timing Chain - so who knows really if it is bad. They can make a lot of money by doing this job so could tell him anything ( I have the Quote from the Tire Shop). Thye also wanted to change the two front ball joints too and the car was just had a NYS Inspection done in Dec 2019. This was Jan 17 2020 so ball joints go in a month. So I think they just were looking for work to do if it needed or not.

I was thinking it could be the Crank Sensor is starting to go too which would cause it to stall. I drive 30 min and no issues.

That is why I was asking is there a Real Way to find out if the Timing Chain need to be replaced. Before I get into it.
Thanks all

·
Registered
8,848 Posts
It's around $150-$200 or so in parts and ~8 hours labor. $1500 sounds way too high.

If the chain breaks it curtains for the valves probably.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's around $150-$200 or so in parts and ~8 hours labor. $1500 sounds way too high.

If the chain breaks it curtains for the valves probably.
This Price was from a Local Tire Shop which I really do not Believe them - I can do the work my self no problem.

Really Looking for - How do I Know for Sure it is Bad???

I am not going to just go by them.

·
Registered
8,848 Posts
Take the valve cover off to see how much it has stretched. Taking the chain cover off and cleaning all the gasket material off is half the job so the valve cover is the only real way without actually doing the job.

The tensioner though when you see it, you can count the notches to see how far it is stretched. But it's a moot point by then.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Take the valve cover off to see how much it has stretched. Taking the chain cover off and cleaning all the gasket material off is half the job so the valve cover is the only real way without actually doing the job.

The tensioner though when you see it, you can count the notches to see how far it is stretched. But it's a moot point by then.
Ok if I take Valve cover off I will see the Chain Top and the Two Cam Gears. How do you tell if it is Stretched?

Doesn't the Chain Tensioner still have tension on the Chain and pushing it tight?

Thanks

·
Registered
8,848 Posts
Between the cams there should be little deflection when you push down. Take a pic like what I did to show the slack.

·
Banned
6,990 Posts
Check the phasers.

·
Registered
6 Posts

that looks normal , and also it looks like your engine is missing the top chain guide , see these chains have guides and if you dont have them the chain on load takes up slack where the guides guide that process, it states these are timing chains however these are not full timing chains as in they go around the crankshaft all these do is mesh the two cams together and they rarely give problems , however the timing guides fail making a clack clack noise in the engine

·
Registered
8,848 Posts
that looks normal , and also it looks like your engine is missing the top chain guide , see these chains have guides and if you dont have them the chain on load takes up slack where the guides guide that process, it states these are timing chains however these are not full timing chains as in they go around the crankshaft all these do is mesh the two cams together and they rarely give problems , however the timing guides fail making a clack clack noise in the engine
I changed the guides too. They were 100% OK. Hyundai is known for weak chains that's why the issued a new one for the Gen Coupe 2L. It would be the same chain the 2.4L uses too so they can upgrade..

·
Registered
6 Posts
I changed the guides too. They were 100% OK. Hyundai is known for weak chains that's why the issued a new one for the Gen Coupe 2L. It would be the same chain the 2.4L uses too so they can upgrade..
this is a 1.8 litre motor a G4GM motor i am talking about and regardless of what you have been told timing chains are not a common issue in hyundai they are not known for weak chains , you should use the correct specified oils for your cars and do not mix viscosity as it changes oil to water ! i would say you dont know what you are talking about as it seems you get other people working on your cars

1 - 20 of 22 Posts