Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hi recently put a timing belt on the car. sonata 2.4 204000 miles. car ran great for two days. felt belt was correct. had all the marks lined up . only mark not sure was rear counter shaft. it had a paint mark. there is also a small hole on the gear but didn't use that. two days later i went to start and it vibrated or had a miss. sounded throaty in the exhaust. also seemed to be from 1 cylinder.when i first installed the belt i rotated motor 6 times by hand to make sure all ok. fired it up and let it idle . was smooth as silk. i just took it all apart to see if marks were off. seemed ok. a week later i reinstalled the belt and again felt it was correct. turn over by hand no restriction. still had odd vibration. then check engine light came on. then it hardly moved. no power. checked plug in 1 cylinder and plug had oil and black soot. not sure if i damaged the crank position sensor. i also installed two new spark wires. coils i have to order . but i still cant explain why car ran good for two days . then on start up had vibration/miss any ideas ? i have no car at this point and parts are best ordered from where im at.

·
Registered
565 Posts
It might be just a coincidence, it might be that you messed something at that cylinder - spark plug, wire booth... did you use electrical grease after that?
Humidity can get over night in a worn boot (cycles of hot/cold) and short the spark to the chassis.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
it was a new spark wire. issue was there even after. i was wondering if a coil went bad. that could be the cause . or crankshaft sensor. i checked for spark leakage. and doesn't appear to be. however i did not actually check for spark by pulling plug and insert in wire.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I'm not sure I understand exactly when you replaced the two wires and/or why..? Was there a previous problem so that you replaced these two when you did the timing belt? Or, two days later when the irregular running seemed to kick in?

Either way, it sounds like you need to test out these wires for possibly being defective, or the wrong resistance for your car. Wire sets usually are rated as low resistance or high resistance. I do not know at this time what that engine is spec'd for (I do need to find out before I do my Sonata this spring). Just thinking that you may have purchased wrong rated wires. Or a weak/bad electrical connection where the wire joins the boot end or or the cap end.

Also if there is even a minor and hard to detect crack in the distributor, the extra cold weather we have had lately will magnify the problem.

Hope you isolate the problem soon.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Resistance of the wires is always high because of electrical noise issues. That's not a problem. But the new wire can be bad from factory too... I saw cases.
It will have a gap in crimping area and the spark will initially 'jump' over, but it will also burn out that gap wider... until is too much.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
there is no distributor. wires were put on after problem and they didnt help. so either a bad coil or crank pos sensor was damaged after timing belt was installed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
can anyone please provide info on where the timing mark is on the rear coutnter shaft? is it the paint mark or the small hole near the center ? you can email me the info poppabear5935 at gmail dot com

1 - 8 of 8 Posts