Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Phoenix Az. I have 19 K mi. on my 2006 Tucson. I bought the vehicle new, and it will be 5 yrs. old next month. Dealer said timing belt is due for replacement. The cost will be $418.
Is this a little premature? Sometimes the dealers say the desert heat can shorten their life.

Our Toyota Sienna had the belt replaced at 40,000 mi. and 6 yrs. and I asked for the old belt and it looked like new.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
10 Posts
QUOTE (billy301 @ Dec 16 2010, 05:10 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=380607
I live in Phoenix Az. I have 19 K mi. on my 2006 Tucson.
Well there is a time component to the belt change interval. For my '05 Tucson (2.0 L engine), it's 72 months or 90,000km, whichever comes first (although the dealers insist it's 96,000km).

JX7000

·
Registered
212 Posts
It is a calculated risk you take as if the belts breaks, engine damage is likely. Warranty will not cover it. That said, mine has about 35k/6years. Both time and mileage play a factor in wear with mileage being the bigger issue. The question is if you take the risk, when do you replace it? For me, being the original owner, only driver, light use, its an acceptable risk to go to 50k/7years. A new water pump at the same time is a good option as much of the labor overlaps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts