Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys looking for advice. I bought a 02 accent base
model hb 5 speed 109k miles for a winter car (have a mustang in garage.) It ran good until tonight when the timing belt snapped. I know this because while driving it made some ticking noises and then shut off and when you try to start it the noise that comes indicates no compression so the belt must've snapped and bent the valves. I do not need this car, nor will I put in the $$ to fix the valves/swap in a new motor since the car's value isn't worth it but has this happened to anyone else? What did you do?

Did anyone sell it with a shot motor? For how much? Or junk it for how much? I know I've lost a little bit of money (spent $1500) but trying to regain what I can. Maybe I should part it out? The rest of the car is in good shape.

Replies much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
22,793 Posts
Parting it out is one method. Selling it to a salvage yard only brings $25-50 and a free tow out of the driveway. Dragging it across the scales as scrap pays much better than that. Finding someone with a similar year Accent that would like to get a better body and swap their engine into yours, might benefit both of you.

It's just a shame that the belt gave way.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had a similar incident, except I received a 2000 Accent that the timing belt had let go. It was given to me, as, like you, the owner didn't want to invest the money in fixing it. If you are mechanically inclined, it would be worth it for you to pull the head and examine it. In my case, all 4 exhaust valves were replaced, along with having the entire head reconditioned. No other damage was done. All this cost me 350 dollars for the labor on the head and new gaskets. Of course, I did all the labor besides the head repair.

If you still don't want to fix it, find someone that does, and give it to them for 50 bucks. No reason to junk a perfectly good car that can be repaired. I've put 3000 plus miles on this one and am as happy as can be.

Good Luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts