Hyundai Forums banner
61 - 68 of 68 Posts
I have a 2007 Accent with almost 94,000 on it and never replaced the timing belt (yet). It runs great, no major problems at all since I bought the car brand new in 2006. I hope I didn't jinx myself!!
I would suggest paying the money to replace the timing belt. I just had mine done on my car and it has 84,000. It ended up costing $480 from the dealership but the peace of mind is worth it. I would want to get it done within your 100k mile warranty too.

-Danielle

I have a 2007 Accent and I never replaced the timing belt as of yet. It has almost 94,000 on my car. I bought it brand new in 2006. After reading all these post , I'm not feeling good about my car. It runs great and I don'twant to fix something that is not broken.
Well, when it breaks, this is what happens. It's an 'interference' engine where the timing belt keeps the valves and the pistons from occupying the same space at the same time, a very undesirable event. So don't wait until it breaks.

I am using this guide for my timing belt replacement.
http://www.hyundai-forums.com/184-m...940-timing-drive-belt-diy-pdf-w-pictures.html

I hit some snags but they were my own fault. I'm will post some updates when I'm done.
I just did my timing belt at 67k. I followed this write up and had the timing belt with tensioner and idler changed, engine and transmission oil changed, new air filter and new spark plugs in less than 4 hours. Total parts were around $100. (I got all the hard parts from Rock Auto)

I didn't change the water pump because my wasn't leaking yet so that's on the shelf for the next belt change. I will also do the accessory belts next time as well.

Sticky on everything about the timing belt on my Hyundai repair site. At top if forum. Want to see how Hyundai does the belt, tensioner, idler, belts, water pump its all there. I was talking to a mechanic the other day and feel sorry this fellow waited to long and the belt snapped and he needs 1200 dollars to redo all the push rods valves. This is why you change it. Its made of rubber and will fail. Anything over 4 years or 90-100,000 KLM you are playing Russian roulette!

Ouch. Nasty damage!

QUOTE (shdowflare @ May 22 2010, 10:26 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=325296

The possability of a total engine replacement is the downside to this strategy. I think your mechanic is a m*r*n for giving you such advice. Timing belts break when they wear out. This link shows the consequences of a broken timing belt on Kia Rio, which is more-or-less a Hyundai Accent clone:

http://www.kia-forums.com/236438-post5.html

I would replace the belt now if it is due.
Wow. So that's what it looks like when a timing belt snaps on an interference engine. Man, that is ugly! Yeah, change to belt at recommended intervals! You are a fool if you don't and that mechanic you talked to poster, sucks.

61 - 68 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.