Hyundai Forums banner
21 - 40 of 68 Posts
Anyone know what the dealers in USA charge for the timing belt job? I would assume like other cars they also change the water pump and stuff?? But this is the reason I sold my Acura. It had 114k and was overdue at 100k for the timing belt and water pump job. I didnt want to take the chance anymore and I also did not want to spend 1200$ at Acura...in fact the cheapest place I could find was a local shop and Honda was the same price at 899$ plus tax. Never heard of a timing belt only lasting 60k? Most last 100k. Hyundai must use some cheap parts or something.

Also what matters more? The age of the car or the miles?? I mean you can have like a 8 year old car with 50k and you can have a 2 year old car with 62k which is going to need replacement quicker?

But yeah I agree with everyone don't wait too long. And get rid of that mechanic.

Total shot in the dark here.. but if the belt is made of rubber, I'd say age and mileage are equally as important as rubber doesn't stand the test of time, especially through different changes in weather.

QUOTE (JoeyBello @ Jun 10 2010, 12:50 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=331682
Anyone know what the dealers in USA charge for the timing belt job?
Check a few posts back, there's a post from me and someone in Canada (who got a really good deal.)  This job is mostly labor, so that's going to be what you need to look out for.

I would assume like other cars they also change the water pump and stuff??
It's never a bad idea to do so since the same amount labor is required to replace. But with that said, none of the dealers I spoke with seemed too concerned about it for the 60k interval.  The part retails for only $83 so it shouldn't add a substantial cost on top of what you are already paying.  I didn't bother with it, however I will take care of it at the next change interval.

Also what matters more? The age of the car or the miles?? I mean you can have like a 8 year old car with 50k and you can have a 2 year old car with 62k which is going to need replacement quicker?
On that example, both need it immediately - one for 62k worth of wear on the belt, the other with the belt deteriorating over the last 8 years.  Check your owner's manual, it lists two intervals and you go by whichever applies to your situation.  If you drive very little and haven't reached the 60,000 miles mark yet, it needs to be replaced every 48 months.  If you drive a lot, it will need to be replaced at 60,000 miles.  Under severe conditions, they specify replacement intervals of 37,500 miles (still 48 months time-wise.)

Anyone know what the dealers in USA charge for the timing belt job? I would assume like other cars they also change the water pump and stuff?? But this is the reason I sold my Acura. It had 114k and was overdue at 100k for the timing belt and water pump job. I didnt want to take the chance anymore and I also did not want to spend 1200$ at Acura...in fact the cheapest place I could find was a local shop and Honda was the same price at 899$ plus tax. Never heard of a timing belt only lasting 60k? Most last 100k. Hyundai must use some cheap parts or something.

But yeah I agree with everyone don't wait too long. And get rid of that mechanic.

Many cars require 60k intervals. I'd be scared to drive 100k on a single timing belt :|

And timing chains wear out too. It just takes longer and costs two to three times as much to replace. I'd rather deal with 2-3 timing belt changes than the PITA that is a timing chain.

QUOTE (Zombywoof @ Jun 9 2010, 08:43 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=331189
Nissan does. That's why my other car is a Sentra.

TOO FUNNY!! mine is too! I have a 94 4 door ...its my DD/Hyper miler!

I just had mine done cost $435 dollars at the dealership....they replaced the all the belts and seals/gaskets related too it...said the next time they will replace the water pump, tensioner and what not....

Most timing belts are 60k. See gates.com for a comprehensive list of timing belt info.

Acura is really no better, just more expensive.

My view is you don't need to change the seals, pump, or tensioner on the first belt change. I wouldn't even do it on the second. Especially on a little car like an Accent, it's easy to change the tensioner or the waterpump later on. I paid -$1- for my last timing belt.

Hyundai says change belts at 5 years or 60k, which ever first.

QUOTE (JoeyBello @ Jun 10 2010, 10:50 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=331682
My dealer wants to charge me about 3-400. I have the quote around here somewhere... The vast majority of those prices is labor (not including stealership markup). I know my 98 Accord was famously hard to change the timing belt in so it was expensive. Cheaper parts is a small fraction of that cost. Even getting a half-price belt is only gonna save you ≈$50 from the total price.

Speaking of timing belts, mine went at 64K as I was pulling into the driveway, @ 3mph. I have been a Service Manager for quite a while and out of all the Honda's, Hyundai's, and other Various DOHC motors I only came across 1 that actually had Valve Damage. Because the guy was driving down the freeway when it happened. I snapped 1 on my 03 Accent when I had it, and there was no internal engine damage. I still have yet to fix my car due to funds, barely working right now, but I have no doubt in my mind that when I replace the belt and fire it up everything will be ok. Yea, mechanics love scaring people into getting their stuff changed out, but it ultimately comes down to how it was being driven when the belt went. The chances of actual internal damage is about 50%. Wanting to take that chance is up to you. If you feel more comfortable changing it out before it goes then do it. But if it isnt changed by 65K-70K then your chances of it snapping are greatly increased, especially if you beat the crap out of your car like I do mine. I honestly didnt think my timing belt would last that long, after sitting for a year and a half in the desert drying out and forming cracks. To each their own.

To follow up with what I just posted, I have seen vehicle's that have a suggested Timing Belt replacement of 60K and have gone till 90K-110K. It just all depends. Like one of the other posters said, it's Russian Roulette at that point.

QUOTE (CRzepecki @ Jul 7 2011, 01:40 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=472315
To follow up with what I just posted, I have seen vehicle's that have a suggested Timing Belt replacement of 60K and have gone till 90K-110K. It just all depends. Like one of the other posters said, it's Russian Roulette at that point.

Exactly why you should go with what the manufacturer recommends. You could drive 30k more on it and be fine then one day it snaps on the highway and the pistons kiss the valves.

Doing a TB on a modern car is quite simple. Align rotating assemblies and install belt. The ECU times spark and fuel using triggers from the crank and cam. On older cars with distributors you had to fart around with a timing light to align the dist correctly.

QUOTE (burnitwithfire @ Jul 7 2011, 02:30 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=472355
Exactly why you should go with what the manufacturer recommends. You could drive 30k more on it and be fine then one day it snaps on the highway and the pistons kiss the valves.

Doing a TB on a modern car is quite simple. Align rotating assemblies and install belt. The ECU times spark and fuel using triggers from the crank and cam. On older cars with distributors you had to fart around with a timing light to align the dist correctly.
yea i wouldnt bring my car to the dealership to change a belt .. doing you self saves you alot of money plus theres alot of room by the pulleys so even people with gigantic hands like myself can replace the water pump & belt.
i remember when i had my contour, i swear the motor was crammed in there, me and my dad could barely fit the ratchet and our hand to where the bolts where holding the pump on biggest pita ever i hated that car!
FORD = FOUND ON ROAD DEAD
and thats exactly how that car ended

I just did the TB on my son's 20088 Accent. I started at 11AM and finished at 4:30 with a few swim breaks along the way. I'll knock an hour off if I ever have to do it again. I went slowly and took my time. It was a piece of cake compared to my V6 Toyota 4Runner--that takes 218 ft-lbs to do the crank bolt.

I also did the PS and alt belts, and the idler and tensioner pulleys along with a coolant flush. Will do water pump next time. (No A/C on this car.) The on-line manual is all you really need, although the drawings stink.

I can tell you from first hand experience to do it on time. I pushed my luck and got burned. I got 102k miles out of my 2008. I was tryting to push it until my truck was paid for. The dealer wanted $379.00 for replacement. I spent $300 on a tow bill and diagnosis (including new timing belt), $80 on a rental car, $50 for a tow dolly, $350 for a used motor, $75 for belts oil and filter, $100 for an engine hoist, and over $200 for gas (to drive my truck while the car was down) I replaced the motor myself and if you add it all up I spent over $1000! Not to mention the week and a half it took to do it in the 100+ Texas heat while still working full time. You can easily triple this cost if you have someone else repair the damage. So....$300 to $450 range to have the belt replaced, or a couple grand for not getting it done.

On the bright side, I put the new belt in the used motor so I'm good for the next 2 years and I figured out how to pull the motor without dropping it out the bottom.

QUOTE (WpnAccent09 @ Jul 8 2011, 12:20 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=472737
yea i wouldnt bring my car to the dealership to change a belt .. doing you self saves you alot of money plus theres alot of room by the pulleys so even people with gigantic hands like myself can replace the water pump & belt.
i remember when i had my contour, i swear the motor was crammed in there, me and my dad could barely fit the ratchet and our hand to where the bolts where holding the pump on biggest pita ever i hated that car!
FORD = FOUND ON ROAD DEAD
and thats exactly how that car ended
Whilst in Vietnam, they told me FORD stands for "fix or repair daily". I thought Vietnamese must be pretty smart.

QUOTE (LukeSki @ Jul 23 2011, 01:31 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=480031
my accent has just reached 60K, should I be following the severe maintenance schedule since I reside in Canada? which means changing the timing belt at 60K
60k miles or 60k km? Big difference.

TB replacement is 60k miles or 96k km/6 years for severe usage.

21 - 40 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.