Hyundai Forums banner

Timing Belt Replacement?

97K views 67 replies 43 participants last post by  billd75 
QUOTE (shdowflare @ May 22 2010, 12:26 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=325296
So I see the timing belt is to be replaced every 60k... what are the downsides to holding off on this? I asked my mechanic and he said to just run it until it wears out and needs to be replaced. What do you guys think? Is this good advice? Apart from a voided warranty, what else is at risk?

THanks!
Get a new mechanic, seriously. It's a timing belt not a power steering or alternator belt we're talking about. If it breaks, you'll be looking at new valves, lifters, guides, maybe a camshaft or two, pistons and possibly cylinder bore damage if a valve breaks off its stem.

This is what will happen if you "wait until it wears out"

Happened on my 1991 Passat Syncro. I got EXTREMELY lucky because the belt stripped right when #2 exhaust and #3 intake (IIRC) valves were overlapping and I was idling. It didn't damage anything except my pride for not replacing it when I didn't know its mileage. This is a one in a million chance, most 20v 1.8t engine will bend valves.

DO NOT WAIT!!!

QUOTE (hoosieraccent @ May 31 2010, 09:27 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=328275
I had all of my other obligations taken care of by 58k when I went in for the belt change, so that was all I had them do.  I called around to shop for the best price, it varied widely from dealer to dealer.  The parts are relatively cheap, the labor is what gets you here.  One was as low as $330, one as high as $470. :blink:  The cheapest one was 1.5 hours away, so I decided to not be stuck that far from home while they worked on it. :grin:

A nearby dealer charged $420, but I found a free rental special coupon on their site.  They ended up knocking off more anyway, so I paid $380 for the timing belt and all drive belts.  Not too terrible.

I highly suggest shopping around for price and scour the dealer's site looking for any discounts or freebies.  Well worth your time.
What parts did you replace and how much was the price for parts without labor??

QUOTE (my2006accent @ Jun 4 2010, 11:36 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=329845
Hi,

New to the forum here and just reading up on the timing belt replacement. I'd like to take on this job myself but can't seem to find any shop manuals for instructions on how to go about changing the timing belt.

Does anyone have a shop manual or instructions that they can share with me?

Thanks in advance.
http://hmaservice.com/ has all you need to know. And it's free!!

QUOTE (JoeyBello @ Jun 10 2010, 12:50 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=331682
Anyone know what the dealers in USA charge for the timing belt job? I would assume like other cars they also change the water pump and stuff?? But this is the reason I sold my Acura. It had 114k and was overdue at 100k for the timing belt and water pump job. I didnt want to take the chance anymore and I also did not want to spend 1200$ at Acura...in fact the cheapest place I could find was a local shop and Honda was the same price at 899$ plus tax. Never heard of a timing belt only lasting 60k? Most last 100k. Hyundai must use some cheap parts or something.

Also what matters more? The age of the car or the miles?? I mean you can have like a 8 year old car with 50k and you can have a 2 year old car with 62k which is going to need replacement quicker?

But yeah I agree with everyone don't wait too long. And get rid of that mechanic.

Many cars require 60k intervals. I'd be scared to drive 100k on a single timing belt :|

And timing chains wear out too. It just takes longer and costs two to three times as much to replace. I'd rather deal with 2-3 timing belt changes than the PITA that is a timing chain.

QUOTE (CRzepecki @ Jul 7 2011, 01:40 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=472315
To follow up with what I just posted, I have seen vehicle's that have a suggested Timing Belt replacement of 60K and have gone till 90K-110K. It just all depends. Like one of the other posters said, it's Russian Roulette at that point.

Exactly why you should go with what the manufacturer recommends. You could drive 30k more on it and be fine then one day it snaps on the highway and the pistons kiss the valves.

Doing a TB on a modern car is quite simple. Align rotating assemblies and install belt. The ECU times spark and fuel using triggers from the crank and cam. On older cars with distributors you had to fart around with a timing light to align the dist correctly.

QUOTE (LukeSki @ Jul 23 2011, 01:31 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=480031
my accent has just reached 60K, should I be following the severe maintenance schedule since I reside in Canada? which means changing the timing belt at 60K
60k miles or 60k km? Big difference.

TB replacement is 60k miles or 96k km/6 years for severe usage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.