Hyundai Forums banner

Timing Belt Replacement?

97K views 67 replies 43 participants last post by  billd75 
Yeah, you really need to change the belt. I changed mine the other day, it wasn't too bad to do. The old belt had plenty of life left.

In a pinch, you can just do a timing belt inspection and adjustment. Take off the top timing belt cover only. You can see the condition of the belt. Is it new looking or cracked, etc? Is the belt oil contaminated? Are the teeth sharp and clean? Is the timing belt case clean inside?

Now check the belt tension and readjust that. Should be 5mm of deflection on the belt when pressing 2kg of force on the long run. Lots of belts just slip a tooth because it's too loose. I've seen them so loose, it was a wonder how the car still runs.

If the belt condition is good and tension is right, then you'll be ok for a while. Just don't forget about it.

QUOTE (JoeyBello @ Jun 10 2010, 12:50 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=331682
Anyone know what the dealers in USA charge for the timing belt job? I would assume like other cars they also change the water pump and stuff?? But this is the reason I sold my Acura. It had 114k and was overdue at 100k for the timing belt and water pump job. I didnt want to take the chance anymore and I also did not want to spend 1200$ at Acura...in fact the cheapest place I could find was a local shop and Honda was the same price at 899$ plus tax. Never heard of a timing belt only lasting 60k? Most last 100k. Hyundai must use some cheap parts or something.

Also what matters more? The age of the car or the miles?? I mean you can have like a 8 year old car with 50k and you can have a 2 year old car with 62k which is going to need replacement quicker?

But yeah I agree with everyone don't wait too long. And get rid of that mechanic.
Most timing belts are 60k. See gates.com for a comprehensive list of timing belt info.

Acura is really no better, just more expensive.

My view is you don't need to change the seals, pump, or tensioner on the first belt change. I wouldn't even do it on the second. Especially on a little car like an Accent, it's easy to change the tensioner or the waterpump later on. I paid -$1- for my last timing belt.

Hyundai says change belts at 5 years or 60k, which ever first.

QUOTE (WpnAccent09 @ Jul 8 2011, 12:20 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=472737
yea i wouldnt bring my car to the dealership to change a belt .. doing you self saves you alot of money plus theres alot of room by the pulleys so even people with gigantic hands like myself can replace the water pump & belt.
i remember when i had my contour, i swear the motor was crammed in there, me and my dad could barely fit the ratchet and our hand to where the bolts where holding the pump on biggest pita ever i hated that car!
FORD = FOUND ON ROAD DEAD
and thats exactly how that car ended
Whilst in Vietnam, they told me FORD stands for "fix or repair daily". I thought Vietnamese must be pretty smart.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.