Hyundai Forums banner

Timing Belt Replacement?

97K views 67 replies 43 participants last post by  billd75 
I also got lucky when my timing belt broke. Like everyone says, do not wait. If your mechanic said to wait, either he has never worked on a car before, or he wants your money, and all of it. You really don't want to wait, like burnit said, you WILL be replacing a lot of internals if you do.

QUOTE (JoeyBello @ Jun 10 2010, 10:50 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=331682
Anyone know what the dealers in USA charge for the timing belt job? I would assume like other cars they also change the water pump and stuff?? But this is the reason I sold my Acura. It had 114k and was overdue at 100k for the timing belt and water pump job. I didnt want to take the chance anymore and I also did not want to spend 1200$ at Acura...in fact the cheapest place I could find was a local shop and Honda was the same price at 899$ plus tax. Never heard of a timing belt only lasting 60k? Most last 100k. Hyundai must use some cheap parts or something.
My dealer wants to charge me about 3-400. I have the quote around here somewhere... The vast majority of those prices is labor (not including stealership markup). I know my 98 Accord was famously hard to change the timing belt in so it was expensive. Cheaper parts is a small fraction of that cost. Even getting a half-price belt is only gonna save you ≈$50 from the total price.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.