Hyundai Forums banner

Timing Belt Replacement?

97K views 67 replies 43 participants last post by  billd75 
QUOTE (ausom accent 9 @ May 23 2010, 11:32 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=325684
Why dont they just put chains on these things????
Fortunately they finally are beginning to... As Hyundai phases out their old engines the belts are going as well.  AFAIK, in the North American market at least, only the Alpha and Beta are left with a belt.

I had all of my other obligations taken care of by 58k when I went in for the belt change, so that was all I had them do.  I called around to shop for the best price, it varied widely from dealer to dealer.  The parts are relatively cheap, the labor is what gets you here.  One was as low as $330, one as high as $470. :blink:  The cheapest one was 1.5 hours away, so I decided to not be stuck that far from home while they worked on it. :grin:

A nearby dealer charged $420, but I found a free rental special coupon on their site.  They ended up knocking off more anyway, so I paid $380 for the timing belt and all drive belts.  Not too terrible.

I highly suggest shopping around for price and scour the dealer's site looking for any discounts or freebies.  Well worth your time.

Just the belts, burn...  Next time I'll have the water pump and tensioner/whatever various other components replaced.  I figure if something needed attention they would have told me when they had it torn apart. :whistling:  Still under bumper-to-bumper via my HPP until 100,000 mi anyway so if anything breaks I hope that should cover it.

24312-26050: BELT - VALVE TIMING $64.21 

25212-26000: V-RIBBED BELT $15.11

97713-1E000: BELT "V" $35.16

57231-21900: BELT"V"-POWER STEERING PUMP $15.27

QUOTE (JoeyBello @ Jun 10 2010, 12:50 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=331682
Anyone know what the dealers in USA charge for the timing belt job?
Check a few posts back, there's a post from me and someone in Canada (who got a really good deal.)  This job is mostly labor, so that's going to be what you need to look out for.

I would assume like other cars they also change the water pump and stuff??
It's never a bad idea to do so since the same amount labor is required to replace. But with that said, none of the dealers I spoke with seemed too concerned about it for the 60k interval.  The part retails for only $83 so it shouldn't add a substantial cost on top of what you are already paying.  I didn't bother with it, however I will take care of it at the next change interval.

Also what matters more? The age of the car or the miles?? I mean you can have like a 8 year old car with 50k and you can have a 2 year old car with 62k which is going to need replacement quicker?
On that example, both need it immediately - one for 62k worth of wear on the belt, the other with the belt deteriorating over the last 8 years.  Check your owner's manual, it lists two intervals and you go by whichever applies to your situation.  If you drive very little and haven't reached the 60,000 miles mark yet, it needs to be replaced every 48 months.  If you drive a lot, it will need to be replaced at 60,000 miles.  Under severe conditions, they specify replacement intervals of 37,500 miles (still 48 months time-wise.)

It is 60,000 miles in my manual (every 37,500 miles for severe service!)

Inspections are called for every 30,000 miles.

It is true that other manufacturers have longer lasting timing belts (saw one car I was looking at recently that called for 150k intervals on the belt!) but sadly Hyundai was not one of them. It has 90's era maintenance requirements since the Alpha II was really just 90's era engineering plus a few modern tweaks.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.