Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been busy getting quotations on replacing my timing belt on the 1.6L DOHC. I have been given a price of $325.00 (CDN) plus taxes of course.
I assume this is good for a reputable mechanic, as I lack the balls to try it myself. Brakes/bearings/tune-ups I can do, this I am not so sure. If I could get my hands on a repair manual, maybe I would try.

Question is - The mech mentioned maybe replacing the water pump while he was in there. Is this a good idea for preventative maintanence or just another way to pad the price. I know replacing it IS technically good as there would be no additional labour cost to get into the engine, but in the long run, how many man-hours of labour am I saving? Is it worth it really to do it all at once?

Also, I'm going to be replacing the transmission fluid soon. What type is recommended for my manual tranny? I have no probs other than the usual slight grind of synchros from 1st to 2nd, which sounds like a common problem in this car. I heard the is a double cone synchro kit that can be installed to help this.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
jeremy,
what year is your car ??
It may not be a bad idea to replace the pump as well, specially while it is exposed. The belt is $61.45 & the pump is $ 68.68 CDN.
if your car is still within 5year/100K km, then let Baytown do it now.
BTW;
the gear oil is a "fill for life" type oil, but if you like to change it, then fill it with 75W80 or 90 GL4 (available at the Hyundai dealer, spacially produced by PC)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is a 2001, but I'm at 120,900 kms. I know that seems like a lot, but I travel from Barrie to Markham each day for work, good for about 800 kms/week plus any driving about town/vacation time/ etc.
Warranty is no help. I bought the car at Newmarket Hyundai in April, and it had 90,000 on it, but I have no way of knowing if the maintenance was done. It did not come with manuals or maintenance records.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Originally posted by jeremythewicked@Nov 11 2004, 06:26 AM
It is a 2001, but I'm at 120,900 kms. I know that seems like a lot, but I travel from Barrie to Markham each day for work, good for about 800 kms/week plus any driving about town/vacation time/ etc.
Warranty is no help. I bought the car at Newmarket Hyundai in April, and it had 90,000 on it, but I have no way of knowing if the maintenance was done. It did not come with manuals or maintenance records.
[snapback]2599[/snapback]​

were in Markham ??
give me the VIN#

·
Registered
422 Posts
Oooohhh Duke,
I don't know about fill for life.
The fluid is meant to stay in until your major services which are at 90 000km's (aus)
It is a synthetic blend which Hyundai began to use due to high amounts of synchro failure.

The job is quite in depth, I have completed at least thirty or fourty of these box rebuilds since I have been at my place of work.
It would be a rather tricky job to do at home.

Mate, if I were you I would have a go at the belt myself.
The hardest thing is to get the tension right, which is at a set tension by the tensioner spring anyway.

The water pump usually ain't that hard either.
The only tricky bit is, that if you have the original water oump in the car, and you change to a new one, you will find that one of your bolts will no longer fit!
The bolt needs to be longer.
But that might just be in this bloody country, we seem to get alot of **** stuff sent here. And the stuff we do get is limited and expensive!!

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Oooohhh Duke,
The fluid is meant to stay in until your major services which are at 90 000km's (aus)
It is a synthetic blend which Hyundai began to use due to high amounts of synchro failure.

Petro Canada is batching the GL4 oil here under license, and HMC is recommending that it is a "fill for life" type oil. However, I personally would change it at the 96K km service.
Same with the ATF, which should be replaced at 136K km only (as from 2002 MY), I would strongly recommend to sick with the 48K km replacement interval.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Originally posted by duke@Nov 12 2004, 01:30 PM
Oooohhh Duke,
Petro Canada is batching the GL4 oil here under license, and HMC is recommending that it is a "fill for life" type oil. However, I personally would change it at the 96K km service.
Same with the ATF, which should be replaced at 136K km only (as from 2002 MY), I would strongly recommend to sick with the 48K km replacement interval.
[snapback]2657[/snapback]​

The main reason the manual gearbox oil is so important on a Hyundai, is that some of the parts are brass or bronze & it is crucially important that the lubricant has a zero Sulphur content......as this element attacks copper, brass & bronze!.

Any oil with a mineral base or content cannot be trusted in this respect.....so either use the Hyundai product, or, if you can get it, Redline MT 90 (which is pure synthetic & will make your gearbox feel like new!).....you will need to buy 3 U.S. quarts.

For automatics, as has been said, use Hyundai-supplied ATF.

Cheers,
Nick. :)

·
Registered
422 Posts
Yes Duke, I agree that the "fill for life" approach should not be taken seriously.

I believe that the oils should be in the car for no longer than 60k (aus).

However, in Australia, we are specified to change the Long Life fluids at 90k service?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My girlfriend has a 2003 Accent, and her maintenance schedule says that the manual tranny fluid should be changed at the 96,000 km service. So it shall be done :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
it might be wise to get the new water pump installed as mine was defective when i bought my 00 accent and gave up woking after just 26000miles i got replaced by the dealer under warranty he said a batch of these cars with bad pumps had been sold here so it may be the same where you are.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts