Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After replacing the timing belt (reputable shop) two weeks later the cam shaft bolt broke causing extensive engine damage.

Of course I was hoping the shop would say that this damage would be covered since they had just worked on the area that failed.

The shop said it was bad luck and the bolt just broke. They did give me employee pricing on the parts and reduced labor rate. So they are giving me somewhat of a break.

Of course to me it seems that within two weeks of fixing a system, it breaks, it would be cause effect.

Any ideas? Should I be thankful they are giving me reduced pricing?

Or is there anything else I am not thinking of.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
92 Posts
You're probably screwed. More than likely the bolt was improperly torqued but it would be tough to prove that in a court of law. I'd love to see that broken bolt though as I'm pretty sure it's a Grade 8 or 10.9. I've never broken one anyway.

Do you by any chance have any pictures of the timing belt area or any of the components?

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
I don't understand. I don't turn cam shaft bolts when I change a timing belt. If anything, you want to avoid moving the cams when doing the timing belt unless a belt is installed. And turning the engine on a cam bolt is kinda a no-no too anyways, I always use the crank to rotate the motor. So I'd say it's plausible the mechanic did not touch the cam bolt.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I don't understand. I don't turn cam shaft bolts when I change a timing belt. If anything, you want to avoid moving the cams when doing the timing belt unless a belt is installed. And turning the engine on a cam bolt is kinda a no-no too anyways, I always use the crank to rotate the motor. So I'd say it's plausible the mechanic did not touch the cam bolt.
You're 100% right. I just sort of assumed that they removed the camshaft pulley to change the seal while they were in there and probably messed up torquing the bolt on re-installation. Or maybe they didn't touch it at all.

@steve2576 - Do you know if the shop changed any of the seals while they were in there or was it just a timing belt and water pump replacement?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Maybe something else seized such as a water pump or idler bearing which caused the cam bolt to break. I find it too much of a coincidence that this occurred a short time after the timing belt change but then again anything is possible.

·
Registered
66 Posts
who cares. just get a lawyer and apply pressure. the shop will settle thinking that it is better to have a bad settlement than a good case. you have the receipts, and every shop gives some kind of warranty. your lawyer will just probably send a couple of letters and that would be it. the reason why shops charge so much $ is just for that. they want to cover their a$$es. but they have insurance and a risk of ¨malpractice¨. dont wait and just let them receive a letter from your attorney.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Can't you slip it in under the Hyundai warrantee? Or is that expired?

This doesn't sound like much of a break from your repair shop?
If it really is no fault of you or the shop, then I understand they have to stay in business, IMO, I think only a 50/50% split, would be a decent break.

·
Registered
66 Posts
no 50-50. for what i undestand, hyundais are an interference engine. if they worked the engine and a major failure happens, they are the ones to deal with it. sure they will try to get that one off their backs. just go for it.

·
Registered
390 Posts
@Juanky, Just because the shop touched the car doesn't mean they caused the failure. God luck proving that beyond a reasonable doubt but I'm sure an attorney would be more than happy to take on the case and give false hopes to their client in how easily the case can be won. All that will wind up happening is the lawyers making a whole lot of money and the customer and the shop getting screwed. Find a way to solve it between the both of you and call it a day. It will be cheaper.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
66 Posts
pemdas. i half agree with you. but the truth is that if the failure happened one week after the job, then, they cant just say caca happens. sure failures occurs, but being left out hanging because caca happens... no. go talk to the shop management, but go with a lawyer. alone, they will do their best to shake you off and.... well, you know the rest. we dont know the extend of the damage. but that is one of the reasons why shops charge more than a hospital stay. example. how much does a front windshield costs? probably 100 bucks. but you get charged about 300 hundred, just in case the thing breaks and they have to get another one and still make a profit. how much does it takes to replace your house front entance door? the door costs 400? they will charge you about 750-800 to install it. why? just in case they screw it up. it is just the way it is. whatever risks you take to give a service, you pass it on to the customer. 9 out of 10 you are good. the one that did not work out so well, that is the one they will non say ¨sorry, dont worry¨. you have to fight for that one, or just stay quiet and replace the engine from your pocket money and tell your kids ¨no, i wont put you in school because the mechanic screwed up and i have to sacrifice you.¨ no.

·
Registered
390 Posts
The reason why the costs are high is because there is labor and overhead for a business to operate such as rent, insurance, utilities, licensing, equipment, salaries, etc. If a business charged much less they would be out of business so I don't completely agree with you.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
The bolt broke in the middle of the threads. Very clean break, no evidence of cross thread that I could see. Do not have a photo. Thanks for the reply.

They did not replace the Water Pump just the Belt work ( I have read it is good practice to replace those things however).

The warranty does not transfer probably it is a 2004 with only 67K miles on it, what is why I bought it and did the maintanance, figured the car would be good for 70K. But I should probably check into that, I bought it from an individual directly.

The whole attorney / thing I may look at depending on how much this job is. I have no idea as I am not a car mechanic, but work in the power industry, so I understand things when someone who does that type of work explains it. So I know they send the heads out to have them checked and then they are going to give me a price.

My understanding is it could be minimal but probably not.

It could require repairs of the broken items probably a 1k to 2k fix

Or a new engine 1500 plus the labor is what I think I see so I suppose 3-4 K if it requires that?

I appreciate the feedback and ideas from all. This is obviously very stressful as I just put 2100 dollars in the thing (new brakes, some other stuff and the timing belt). Then two weeks later that happens.

·
Registered
66 Posts
my intention is not to antagonize, just share my point of view, and this kind of discussion benefits everybody. one side has an opinion, and in this case i have another totally different. at least now steve have informiation he can use to make a decision. we all can agree and disagree as long it happens in a respectful and cordial way, like in this case.

·
Registered
92 Posts
That stinks Steve. From what you're saying it sounds like they didn't touch that cam bolt at all and it may have just been bad luck. Hopefully SBR711 will chime in as he's the resident Hyundai mechanic around here. Maybe he's seen something like this before?

Depending on what you have into it and depending on the price to make it operable again you may wind up finding it's best to walk away from the whole thing. Unless you plan on keeping it many many more years.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you are going to repair the vehicle request all damaged pieces, including both pieces of the broken cam bolt. These things will damage better than half of the valves any time the timing belt breaks and the cams stop while the crankshaft continues to turn.

·
Registered
838 Posts
The concept of what could be damaged is overwhelming if you were rolling at the time.
1) The camshaft, & lifters
2) most, if not all valves
3) some or all pistons
4) possible some bent connecting rods
5) the oil pump may have stopped at the same time, creating more damage.
6) possible damage to the torque converter, & transmission, from abruptly stopping.

·
Registered
66 Posts
for what i undestand, santa fe 4 cyl, is an interference engine. i will corroborate that this saturday because i will replace my timing belt. i need to cyl 1 to tdc on the compression stroke. once there cyl 4 should be on the exhaust stroke so a valve should be fully open. i will turn that crankshaft all over the place and let you all know.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the help everyone. Here is the final outcome.

The dealer is replacing the engine and block? or is that all one.

Anyway they are completing all the work for 3000 dollars + Tax , so 3210

The sales manager said normally this would be about a 6K job ( I have no idea if that is true but it seems fair that 3K is way less than what they could have charged me)

The good news is I get a 12 month / 12,000 Mile warranty. I figure if it doesn't break again by then I should be good.

So I plan on keeping the thing I have 11210 total in it, but like I said it only had 67K on it. So I figure the engine is basically new, the timing belt etc. is new, the brakes are new (had them done with timing job), and the rest of the car seems to be in perfect condition.

So I am hoping this thing should last a few years.

But if anyone knows what it normally costs to replace an engine 3.5/2004 santa fe, I would be curious just to make sure they were telling me the truth.

If they are truely doing the job for around 1/2 price then I think I will leave it be and call it bad luck.

Again thank you all for the help and your information helped me make a better decision than I would have on my own I think.

Sincerely,

Steve

·
22,793 Posts
Can't even begin to estimate what it costs to have that work performed at a dealership. But I would certainly ask for a comprehensive line item list of everything that was done to the car while it is in there. Nice to have that documentation, just in case. You never know.

·
Registered
838 Posts
IMO, a remanufactured V6 short block is probably at least around $2000 or more alone. Exchanging parts, & building your replacement engine can easily top $1000. Plus, replacing need parts, & all fluids, is another expense.

So, you're at over $3K without excessive labor charges, plus a garantee, I'd say it's a bargain! ;)

A short block is just a stripped down version of a new engine. Normally there's no intake, or exhaust manifold, water pump, pulleys, or anything else external. The rest comes off your engine to complete the job, labor! ;)

If you took it to a heartless dealer, Yes, it might cost you $6000!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts