Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just paid my mechanic to change the timing belt on my 04 sonata - has 85k miles. He told me when I was paying that I might need new motor mounts. When I started it up and drove thru the lot, it had a new massive vibration that wasn't there when I dropped it off. He now says that mount was probably cracked and when installer lifted engine it broke it entirely. I know that on many cars you must loosen the mount bolts before you begin. My question is - did the installer screw up by forgetting to loosen mount bolts, thereby breaking a perfectly good mount(s)?

·
Registered
113 Posts
I doubt that you can break a mount that way on this car. Usually you only unbolt the mount on the far right and then lift the motor enough to change the belt. I've done hundreds of 2.4 timing belts and never broken one yet. I would say that the balance shaft is not timed correctly. Very easy to get this off a couple of teeth and it will vibrate the fillings out of your teeth when you rev the engine. If it vibrates when you raise the rpms in park then its not a mount.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts