Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Greetings All!

With 8 Years and 120,000 miles I reckon its time for the Timing Belt replacement. I've done some searching and haven't found the condensed yet comprehensive list of all parts to be on hand for the HD Elantra. Someone put together a list for the Accent so not wanting to be upstaged by those scalawags thought we could do the same.

I have the
- Gates TCKWP284A Timing Belt Component Kit with Water Pump
- Gates K040336 V-Belt
- Gates K040350 Multi V-Groove Belt
- NGK 2477 ZFR5FIX-11 Iridium IX Spark Plug, Pack of 4
- NGK (7962) XX90 Premium Spark Plug Wire Set
- Antifreeze
- Thermostat

What else am I missing before delving deep into busted knuckles and spilled beer?

And yes I know way overdue but literally 99% easy going highway miles and the accessory belts literally look new. Seems I use literally liberally.

Doug

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Use the blue-white NGK Laser IRIDIUM,, that what in it OE (white porcelin tower with "IR" in blue)

8yr and you dumping coolant for a pump,, why not add a new thermostat and start fresh cooling system ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yes! Great Call. Thermostat. I've updated the list. What else?

Ohhh and maybe I should leave brand and model of parts agnostic and just list the parts.

·
Registered
2014 SFS 2.4l
422 Posts
Check upper/lower radiator hose while you're at it to see if anything is cracking and needs replaced.

Check PCV valve and replace if needed. As cheap as it is, you might just do it anyway.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
882 Posts
get a marker from Walmart tools department, which you can mark on oil surface

high temp gasket maker for timing cover

thin metal putty knife for removing old grease

new engine oil

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Check upper/lower radiator hose while you're at it to see if anything is cracking and needs replaced.

Check PCV valve and replace if needed. As cheap as it is, you might just do it anyway.
Excellent thought on checking the hoses before hand!!!

get a marker from Walmart tools department, which you can mark on oil surface

high temp gasket maker for timing cover

thin metal putty knife for removing old grease

new engine oil
Thanks camper. Will there be a loss or contamination of engine oil? I just changed it last week.

Its time to watch a video or two. My parts should be arriving today.

Thanks again,

Doug

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
is the timing belt a reasonably easy job on this model?

Maybe 1.5 hr here,, but I have rack, and done more than my fair share of them.. you really dont need to take much apart, I dont remove lower cover,, it'll move enough to let you get where you need to be..

Paint mark belt to cam cog,, and to crank cog... flip belt off

Transpose marks to new belt,, flip it back on via marks, set idler, and carry on

·
Registered
13 Posts
Maybe 1.5 hr here,, but I have rack, and done more than my fair share of them.. you really dont need to take much apart, I dont remove lower cover,, it'll move enough to let you get where you need to be..

Paint mark belt to cam cog,, and to crank cog... flip belt off

Transpose marks to new belt,, flip it back on via marks, set idler, and carry on
Sbr711 - so your process here is just the belt, not the waterpump, right?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Sbr711 - so your process here is just the belt, not the waterpump, right?
To do water pump, you need to strip more off front of engine,, and verify you got all remnants of OE pump gasket from block surface, otherwise you will end up with leaks,, my neighbor (dumber) did that.. light a nd a few sharp razor blade to carefully remove bits of old debris,, he had a few small bits and it leak on him,, he had to take it all back apart, and I show him his itty bits of missed cleaning,, seen people break water pump too from not flat mating when new pump install

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.