Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This 2010 Santa Fe is our first Hyundai.
My long time independent mechanic, who works on Hyundai, told me to watch out for premature timing belt failres.
The timing belt is "scheduled" for 60K and he has seen more than a few break 45K to 50K destroying the engine. He told me Hyundai did not stand behind these failures with the 100K warranty. I know there are two sides to every story...
Are these failures related to problems that are in the past with Hyundai? Was this a certain engine in a certain vehicle? Is the new V6 engine new enough technology that this will not be a problem? I am more concerned with the non-warranty-coverage problem. We are good at getting things replaced when recommended.

I appreciate any input.
don h

·
Registered
212 Posts
QUOTE (don h @ Jun 1 2010, 08:56 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=328426
This 2010 Santa Fe is our first Hyundai.
My long time independent mechanic, who works on Hyundai, told me to watch out for premature timing belt failres.
The timing belt is "scheduled" for 60K and he has seen more than a few break 45K to 50K destroying the engine. He told me Hyundai did not stand behind these failures with the 100K warranty. I know there are two sides to every story...
Are these failures related to problems that are in the past with Hyundai? Was this a certain engine in a certain vehicle? Is the new V6 engine new enough technology that this will not be a problem? I am more concerned with the non-warranty-coverage problem. We are good at getting things replaced when recommended.

I appreciate any input.
don h
Whoa! "Scheduled for 60k"??!! For replacement or inspection? I assume the latter. When is it scheduled for replacement? I haven't even bothered to look at the maintenance schedule on this since I assumed it would be years from now before I had to worry.
My Honda's were every 160,000kms! And my last Accord was only on it's third belt when I sold it at 450,000kms.

Is the Santa Fe an interference engine? If I have to 'worry' about timing belt replacements every 50,000k, the for sale sign will literally go on this thing next week.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Santa Fe 2.7L V6 uses timing belts. 3.3L and the new one use timing chains. No replacement needed. Not totally sure, but I believe the 2.4 4cyl also has a chain.

Check with your Hyundai service. The independent guy may not be up to date.

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
QUOTE (MajBach @ Jun 1 2010, 11:42 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=328443
Whoa! "Scheduled for 60k"??!! For replacement or inspection? I assume the latter. When is it scheduled for replacement? I haven't even bothered to look at the maintenance schedule on this since I assumed it would be years from now before I had to worry.
My Honda's were every 160,000kms! And my last Accord was only on it's third belt when I sold it at 450,000kms.

Is the Santa Fe an interference engine? If I have to 'worry' about timing belt replacements every 50,000k, the for sale sign will literally go on this thing next week.
He means 60,000 miles, which is the industry standard for timing belts (including both Hondas I owned).

To the best of my knowledge, the only "non-interference" engines (ie: those which can sustain a timing belt failure without bending valves or causing other internal damage) are used in certain Ford and Saturn vehicles. For everyone else, including Honda owners, a snapped timing belt is gonna cost you.

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
QUOTE (don h @ Jun 1 2010, 10:56 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=328426
he has seen more than a few break 45K to 50K destroying the engine. He told me Hyundai did not stand behind these failures with the 100K warranty.
He is right; Hyundai does not warranty timing belts. Nobody does.

To clarify the service requirement, Hyundai says "inspect at 37,500 miles; replace every 75,000 miles or 60 months" (whichever comes first). I suspect that the handful of "premature" failures your mechanic has seen did not adhere to this schedule, particularly the time component. After all, who brings a broken Hyundai to a private mechanic within the first five years? Your mechanic is probably seeing all the exceptions to the rule; I wouldn't sweat it.

PS: It should be noted that even a chain might need replacement at some point. And that'll cost ya. My father-in-law spent $1100 replacing the chain on his 4-cylinder Altima... that's two or three timing belts right there.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
QUOTE (trucker @ Jun 1 2010, 08:49 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=328449
Santa Fe 2.7L V6 uses timing belts. 3.3L and the new one use timing chains. No replacement needed. Not totally sure, but I believe the 2.4 4cyl also has a chain.

Check with your Hyundai service. The independent guy may not be up to date.
Couldn't have said it better myself. Sounds like your independent guy needs to do a little homework.

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
QUOTE (lovemysantafe @ Jun 1 2010, 03:09 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=328511
Couldn't have said it better myself. Sounds like your independent guy needs to do a little homework.
And I need to read these posts a little more carefully. I thought we were talking about a 2.7 for some strange reason, not a 3.5.

Carry on, and enjoy your timing chain!

·
Registered
986 Posts
I believe the subie boxer engines were non-interference as well.. could be wrong. Very few of them out there.. non-interference I mean.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
QUOTE (Don67 @ Jun 1 2010, 09:55 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=328453
He means 60,000 miles, which is the industry standard for timing belts (including both Hondas I owned).
Except for my 300M (3.5l) which was replaced at 100K per mfgrs recommendation. And yeah, it wasn't much interference, but a dead belt would still get the pistons and valves in a heated argument!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts