Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So its been about 70,000 miles since the timing belt was last changed on my car. It is a 2010 Accent GS manual. The service book says to do it at 60,000 or 90,000 miles depending on if driving conditions are normal or severe. I am not sure what constitutes severe driving conditions but I do not push or drive the car hard for the most part. I do though live in New Jersey where it can get crazy driving at times if that counts as severe. But either way, I am for recommendations about what should I do. Can I push it off a little while longer or am I a ticking time bomb? The last person got it done at a Hyundai dealer so I was just going to go back there. I got quoted at around $800 for the entire job (belt, pullies, water pump and coolant, etc.).

·
Premium Member
2,182 Posts
It's up to you. Remember the interval is miles or time whichever comes first. Since it's an interference engine if the belt fails there's a chance the engine will grenade. Personally I ere on the side of caution and Florida, where I live, is a hellish climate I do everything on the severe schedule.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Does the 2007 have a timing belt? I didn't even think about that on this car.....lol Guess I should plan for that soon as it has 176k miles on it and it sat for like 2 years before I got it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Eh, its listed under the same platform under the forums here so it might. Defiantly check the service book though. As far as I know, these cars have interference engines so its bad news if the belt breaks. :(

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I called a dealer and got quoted $599. That is for replacing the internal timing belt and external belts, but not the pullies or water pump/coolant. Those are apparently inspected at the time of install and the guy said they usually aren't a problem. Thoughts? I thought it was always recommended to replace everything at the time to prevent pre mature wearing of the belt?

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
Those belts will go 100K without problems.

They should automatically do the water pump.

The Gates (good quality) kit contains with the belt, water pump, tensioner, idler, gaskets, seals for cam/crank and is under 60 bucks.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
So I called a dealer and got quoted $599. That is for replacing the internal timing belt and external belts, but not the pullies or water pump/coolant. Those are apparently inspected at the time of install and the guy said they usually aren't a problem. Thoughts? I thought it was always recommended to replace everything at the time to prevent pre mature wearing of the belt?

Personally, I would replace the internal pulleys, since they are already in there and they're not too expensive. I just my timing belt for the first time myself in Febuary, and the car had about 100,000 miles (180,000 kms), the first time the timing belt was changed, Hyundai did it and did not replace anything, except the timing belt, and when I took it apart and compared the old pulleys and the new ones, it was a world of difference.

As for the water pump, how many miles/kms on the car and what year is it? My experience is that after about 120,000 miles (200,000 kms) or 8 years, you're on borrowed time with the water pump.

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
Does the 2007 have a timing belt? I didn't even think about that on this car.....lol Guess I should plan for that soon as it has 176k miles on it and it sat for like 2 years before I got it.
My mother in law had over 250K miles on her Subaru with original belt.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts