Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading the excellent tutorial on timing belt change, I am curious on one thing. Other than the belt, what other items were needed such as gaskets and such? Mine has 130K on it, and I am also wondering if replacing the water pump for PM purposes would be a good idea as well, even though there is no leakage from the one installed now?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Hmmm,,, (3) available engines for the Santa Fe based on info seen in your avatar box....

Which engine ?

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
It's up to you. Some people insist on it when they do the timing belt, but I think mechanics like to pad the bill with it. I never change a water pump unless it's leaking or making noise. I've found that water pumps will last the life of the car if you change the antifreeze often. The water pump relies on the lubricants from the antifreeze and the lubricants wear out.

Pulleys I'll only change if they are leaking grease or making noise.

W/O knowing what engine you have, I'll assume you have one of those timing belt tensioner that like to fail. I'd probably consider changing that.

As far as the seals (crank, cam) again I only change them if they leak. That's all about changing the oil on time.

You can get a timing belt done at Joe's garage for under $300, or you can get the full treatment for under $1000. You make the call.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ooops! Sorry, its a 2.7L I just didnt want to get into the middle of something only to find I needed a small o-ring or gasket or fumundo valve or some crap like that!

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
130 be good enough reason for water pump replace, especially if coolant not been changed regular.

2.7 is easy to do timing belt and drive belt, water pump is a little rough installing as the top part of pump body actually sits under the black tin across top of pump body, so you need to loosen the bolts that hold the tin, or grind some off the top of the pump body casting.. do not get in hurry to tighten pump bolts till you is completely satisfied body is flat to block... dont want to hear "CRACK" or have green water run out when you refill coolant..

Here is a couple general pics to what is happening..

Attachments

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
By good enough meaning leave it alone?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (Propflux01 @ Jun 12 2010, 09:00 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=332265
By good enough meaning leave it alone?

130,000 be good enough reason to change it, had 2 timing belts running it....

May consider changing the 2 idler pulleys seen in the 3rd pic... 1 is a fixed position idler pulley, the other is on the belt tension arm... you can do the pulley alone, or buy the whole tensioner arm assembly.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That sounds good then.

·
Registered
25 Posts
For what it's worth, I paid ~$600 to have hyundai replace my timing belt. About 2 months later, the water pump started leaking. With the help of this forum and specifically, sbr711, I was able to replace the water pump (by basically doing the whole timing belt over) in a day. Definitely not required, but seeing as I picked up a new pump from shophyundaiparts.com for about $100, I would much rather have done both the timing chain and water pump at the same time.

That tutorial is a huge help, it pretty much covered everything.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts