Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My timign belt broke the other day and when I replaced it and checked the compression it read 0 on all cylinders so i guess bent valves! what are the chances of having piston damage? Also if someone has a good web site with step by step of how to remove the cylinder head that would be great! thanks!

·
Administrator
2021 Elantra Limited
3,854 Posts
:00000732:   Sorry to hear about the bad luck..  You can try to sign up for an account at www.hmaservice.com and see if the online service manual is of any help.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
QUOTE (hoosieraccent @ Jun 24 2010, 05:05 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=335918
:00000732:   Sorry to hear about the bad luck..  You can try to sign up for an account at www.hmaservice.com and see if the online service manual is of any help.
I did my Elantra timing belt last month. I found the hmaservice.com site almost useless, and basically winged it.

Just curious... are you sure you got the pulleys lined up correctly when you replaced the timing belt?

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (jsinton @ Jun 24 2010, 06:13 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=335926
I did my Elantra timing belt last month. I found the hmaservice.com site almost useless, and basically winged it.

Just curious... are you sure you got the pulleys lined up correctly when you replaced the timing belt?
thanks for the help, yes that is how I have it lined up.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (neil1218 @ Jun 24 2010, 05:26 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=335921
Thanks! I checked that web site and didnt see anything for that.

Typical Hyundai --> Disconnect battery,,,, remove cylinder head......... re-assemble in reverse order.. :thumbsup:

Not very hard to get head off, leave the cams in I think, your choice, remove intake or leave it on, but exhaust manifold is best removed.

Might be able to slide intake away enough to allow remove of head itself, be lighter and smaller..

Note the cams is tied together with chain.... mark that joker !!! mark a link and tooth on exhaust cam, do same for intake cam... that way you assemble links to marks on gears, no problems.... Elantra manuals is wrong,,, BEEN THERE

·
Registered
546 Posts
QUOTE (neil1218 @ Jun 24 2010, 04:57 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=335917
My timing belt broke the other day and when I replaced it and checked the compression it read 0 on all cylinders so i guess bent valves! what are the chances of having piston damage? Also if someone has a good web site with step by step of how to remove the cylinder head that would be great! thanks!
What procedure did you follow when doing the pressure test? I guess I'm the only one who thinks 0 psi on every cylinder is odd, even after a broken T-belt?.?.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE (rsquared @ Jun 27 2010, 01:18 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=336460
What procedure did you follow when doing the pressure test? I guess I'm the only one who thinks 0 psi on every cylinder is odd, even after a broken T-belt?.?.
with the new belt on I took all the spark plugs out screwed the compression gauge in, turned the engine over with gas pedal in. I did this on all 4 and they all read 0.

·
Premium Member
15,116 Posts
QUOTE (neil1218 @ Jun 28 2010, 06:35 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=336655
with the new belt on I took all the spark plugs out screwed the compression gauge in, turned the engine over with gas pedal in. I did this on all 4 and they all read 0.
you will need to pull the cylinder head off, you have bent valves ( l presume you have fitted the timing belt correctly)

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (neil1218 @ Jun 28 2010, 06:11 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=336898
is there a way i can check for piston damage with the head off ?

Look at them for dings where valves collided.... Usually not a big deal, only to valves that have bent tulip to stem. Be aware on valve giudes in the ports, make sure they not have ends broke off.

Got pictures yet ??

·
Registered
212 Posts
QUOTE (neil1218 @ Jun 28 2010, 01:07 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=336801
130,000!!!! I thought that it was chaged by its last owener but after talking to her it was never chagned so it was long over due lol.
Sorry you had that happen but it makes me feel less edgy about having 29k and a little over 5 years on mine. Hope things go well and as inexpensive as possible for you.

·
Registered
546 Posts
QUOTE (neil1218 @ Jun 28 2010, 06:11 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=336898
is there a way i can check for piston damage with the head off ?
With the head off you will be able to see all 4 pistons, and any damage done. I still find it odd that all cylinders have 0 compression. Have you checked your gauge?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
QUOTE (sbr711 @ Jun 28 2010, 08:31 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=336943
Look at them for dings where valves collided.... Usually not a big deal, only to valves that have bent tulip to stem. Be aware on valve giudes in the ports, make sure they not have ends broke off.

Got pictures yet ??
no pics yet havent had a lot of time to work on it yet I will work on it tomorrow.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
looks like I need to take the rear motor mount off thats connected to the intake manifold.. is there a easy way to do this?? lol probably not. I got it unbolted from the manifold but you cant just simply push it out of the way so it looks like I need to get the bolts out from the block as well :(

1 - 20 of 47 Posts