Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning to replace the exhaust on my '02 1.6L. I've got the new muffler, the two other pipes (the one with the flex and the one with the resonator), and the gaskets. All BOSAL parts from Rock Auto. What I don't have are the bolts. I picked up some 10mm bolts, washers, and nuts at Home Depot that should fit the new parts, but I'm not sure about the bolts that will attach the exhaust pipe to the cat, which I'm not replacing. Those look thinner. I could get some other sizes, but I don't know if the threads will be the same. I suppose I could just bore out the holes to fit what I have... So, any thoughts on that?

The other thing is that the whole system is pretty rusty. I tried the other day to loosen some bolts and nothing would budge. I've been spraying with WD-40 to try and break through the rust and maybe I'll pick up something more powerful at the local auto parts store. I've heard about heating them, but I don't have a torch. Any other suggestions? I'm not afraid to cut the whole thing off assuming I can leave the flanges at the cat convertor intact.

Also, the O2 sensor...does it just unscrew from the top of the pipe, or do I need a special tool like with the "upsteam" sensor? I'm at 96,000 miles, so should I go ahead and replace it or wait for it to go bad?

Any other tips?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
QUOTE (mpattdu @ Jul 8 2010, 02:51 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=339902
I'm planning to replace the exhaust on my '02 1.6L. I've got the new muffler, the two other pipes (the one with the flex and the one with the resonator), and the gaskets. All BOSAL parts from Rock Auto. What I don't have are the bolts. I picked up some 10mm bolts, washers, and nuts at Home Depot that should fit the new parts, but I'm not sure about the bolts that will attach the exhaust pipe to the cat, which I'm not replacing. Those look thinner. I could get some other sizes, but I don't know if the threads will be the same. I suppose I could just bore out the holes to fit what I have... So, any thoughts on that?

The other thing is that the whole system is pretty rusty. I tried the other day to loosen some bolts and nothing would budge. I've been spraying with WD-40 to try and break through the rust and maybe I'll pick up something more powerful at the local auto parts store. I've heard about heating them, but I don't have a torch. Any other suggestions? I'm not afraid to cut the whole thing off assuming I can leave the flanges at the cat convertor intact.

Also, the O2 sensor...does it just unscrew from the top of the pipe, or do I need a special tool like with the "upsteam" sensor? I'm at 96,000 miles, so should I go ahead and replace it or wait for it to go bad?

Any other tips?

Thanks!
Don't use the Home Depot bolts. They're not rated for that use, it's cheap metal. Go to Autozone or Napa and get some bolt that are rated for muffler use. It's a special Asian mm size.

I always simply cut the old pipes off, I never consider trying to use the bolts. Sometimes I'll heat them up if I have to. You can get a pretty cheap propane torch from Home Depot (last time I bought a kit, I think it was only $12 with the propane) in a pinch for the CAT bolts, or just cut the heads off the bolts is applicable. Lot's of heat always works. Don't heat the fuel line or catch the car on fire. I always keep a fire extinguisher handy (I had a bad experience once.)

You need a special split socket for the O2 sensor unless you can get a box wrench on there. The problem is the wires. Usually you don't need the split socket, as you'll cut the pipe off so it's pretty easy to get to.

Yes, consider changing the O2 sensors if you can afford it. It's a good time.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice. I kind of figured I'd have to cut it all off. Will check my local store for proper bolts.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Factory assemble has studs at cat outlet to flex pipe inlet... 10x1.25 nuts used

Outlet of flex pipe to center pipe has studs,,,, 10x1.25 nuts used to secure

Do not recall how the center pipe to muffler joint is arranged, but I have a handfull of the Hyundai 10x1.25 exhaust nuts... dealer should have them in stock with all the frames being done in Sonata, as we do not reuse the old rusted hardware..

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks sbr711. I think the pipe to muffler connection uses the same studs. (Those have actually rusted completely through on my Accent.) I thought about checking my dealer for new studs, but the after market exhaust pieces I bought have larger, non-threaded holes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts