Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once I am in my 2013 Sonata GLS, I am very comfortable. However, I have large legs from years of working out and even with the steering wheel at it's upper most adjustment location, I still have to squeeze between it and the seat. The seat is all the way down too. Is there any way to get more "up" adjustment out of the steering wheel? B)

·
Registered
186 Posts
You didn't notice this when you shopped for the car?

The tilt wheel also telescopes to and from the dash. Have you tried moving the wheel in or out as well to clear your thighs? Out (all the way) and Up (all the way) will give you the most clearance.

Otherwise, the wheel adjustments are mechanical with physical limits to that adjustability. Short of replacing the wheel with a flat-bottom wheel, your last option is...

generous use of the TV Remote in place of the stair-climber at the gym.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Test drive should've revealed this problem..?

Your legs must be HUGE ...:eek:

Squatting in excess of the weight of the car ...? :trophy::auto:

·
Registered
108 Posts
"The tilt wheel also telescopes to and from the dash. Have you tried moving the wheel in or out as well to clear your thighs? Out (all the way) and Up (all the way) will give you the most clearance."

Have only had my 2011 SE for 3 1/2 years and never realized that it telescoped in/out from dash. Thanks for that, I use the tilt all the time.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You didn't notice this when you shopped for the car?

The tilt wheel also telescopes to and from the dash. Have you tried moving the wheel in or out as well to clear your thighs? Out (all the way) and Up (all the way) will give you the most clearance.

Otherwise, the wheel adjustments are mechanical with physical limits to that adjustability. Short of replacing the wheel with a flat-bottom wheel, your last option is...

generous use of the TV Remote in place of the stair-climber at the gym.
The flat bottomed wheel might be a good solution. Does anyone make an aftermarket wheel that would include the audio/cruise/etc. controls? I have tried moving the wheel in and out and it does help.
Also, it's not impossible for me to get in, I just have to make sure whatever is in my pockets, like my phone or glasses doesn't get squished. Once I am in the car, I am comfortable.
I am a big guy overall so it's not just my legs. Thanks for the suggestions!!

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
I am a big guy overall so it's not just my legs.
Also, adjust the seat all the way back before you enter the car & sit down. If the Sonata tilt & telescope is anything like the Elantra's, the tilt & telescope adjustments could have been greater. Guess the S. Korean "car size maker" wasn't as big as some Americans.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I was a soccer player for 14 years, and also have some seriously huge thighs, yet I do not come close to having this problem. My only conclusion, is you have exceptionally short arms, and that you simply are not aware of how freakishly short your arms are, and thus have your seat way too far forward, so you can reach the steering wheel, therefore giving you trouble with thigh size... :)

Joking aside, I am telling the truth about having large legs myself and do not come anywhere close to having the troubles you are having. I am actually going to take a diameter measurement tonight just to see if I have as huge of thighs as I think I do.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts