Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Tucson SEL Hybrid
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This vulnerability is beyond ridiculous, especially for a tenured car manufacturer such as KIA and Hyundai.

"Thieves have targeted KIA models from 2011 to 2021 and Hyundai models from 2015 to 2021 because of a “vulnerability” that allows them to remove the steering column cover, then use a USB cable to steal the car. The vandals can quickly release the wheel lock, then use the USB cable to override the system, turn it like a key, and drive off."

KIA and Hyundai corrected the problem in it's 2022 models so you're 2022 Tucson (or whatever) should be safe from this particular issue.

I didn't see this information posted anywhere else on this site, and I know some of you own older models, so I posted here. Sorry if it's a duplicate.

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Tucson hybrid limited
233 Posts
This vulnerability is beyond ridiculous, especially for a tenured car manufacturer such as KIA and Hyundai.

"Thieves have targeted KIA models from 2011 to 2021 and Hyundai models from 2015 to 2021 because of a “vulnerability” that allows them to remove the steering column cover, then use a USB cable to steal the car. The vandals can quickly release the wheel lock, then use the USB cable to override the system, turn it like a key, and drive off."

KIA and Hyundai corrected the problem in it's 2022 models so you're 2022 Tucson (or whatever) should be safe from this particular issue.

I didn't see this information posted anywhere else on this site, and I know some of you own older models, so I posted here. Sorry if it's a duplicate.
thanks for the information. have a great day.

·
Registered
2021 Stormy Sea Santa Fe Calligraphy 2.5L Turbo 8DCT HTRAC 20" wheels
1,729 Posts
Fortunately, I believe all models of the NX4 are push button start, so it doesn't apply to them.
Yes, you might still have a car still there but at least busted windows, maybe a torn up stalk until they figure out there is no key there and it's push button start and most all of your valuables you stored in the car gone.

I don't think the 16 year old goons are inspecting to see which model year a Kia or Hyundai is or trying to look into a possibly (like mine) tinted front window to see if there is a push button or key.

That's why I'm still very concerned when I park my '21 Calligraphy (push button) anywhere. Who's going to cross check when they are smashing and grabbing?

I think the best defense is to get a great big sticker for your side windows saying, this car doesn't have a key, move the F*** on!

Reactions: Flipr

·
Registered
28 Posts
So these ignition keyways didn't actually have any physical lock with pins, etc., they just relied on detecting the chip in the key. I remember when that chip was an extra bit of security to deactivate an immobilizer, not the only thing preventing the car from starting.

I wonder how a usb type A plug is overriding a radio frequency exchange between key and vehicle?

·
Registered
2022 Tucson Hybrid Limited USA Market, Amazon Grey/Black With full OEM Spare
276 Posts
The key start tumbler will turn with a large standard screwdriver busting the pot metal cylinder.

The USB cable has nothing to with it as the keys have no chip.

Push button start need the fob.

·
Registered
640 Posts
That's insane. And the concern is that they'll see any Hyundai or Kia car and break into it and mess stuff up before they realize it can or can't be done.

Sounds like a massive recall or class action suit just waiting to happen...

·
Registered
2022 Tucson
393 Posts
That's insane. And the concern is that they'll see any Hyundai or Kia car and break into it and mess stuff up before they realize it can or can't be done.

What US law or Federal requirement or ad claim did Hyundai not follow?

·
Registered
2022 Tucson Hybrid Limited USA Market, Amazon Grey/Black With full OEM Spare
276 Posts

It's just kids doing whatever it takes for views on social media.

The USB act is just that. After the ignition switch housing is broke off from ripping the housing off, any tool to turn the cylinder will work.

Grand theft auto is a crime, this has nothing to do with a recall or lawsuit.

That's like suing Kwick set locks because someone broke into your home with a screwdriver to break the lock tumblers.

I don't see it happening.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Let me be clear--I'm not saying Hyundai/Kia has done anything illegal or even negligent, I'm saying that the nature of our litigious society is to push the blame wherever we can aside from ourselves and to file lawsuits for anything and everything.

The article doesn't say what they did to fix the 2022+ models--does anyone know? If it involves putting immobilizers on everything then yeah I don't see that happening, but if it's something that could be fixed with a software update then a simple recall or TSB could help kill the trend.

·
Registered
2022 Tucson
393 Posts
Let me be clear--I'm not saying Hyundai/Kia has done anything illegal or even negligent, I'm saying that the nature of our litigious society is to push the blame wherever we can aside from ourselves and to file lawsuits for anything and everything.

The article doesn't say what they did to fix the 2022+ models--does anyone know? If it involves putting immobilizers on everything then yeah I don't see that happening, but if it's something that could be fixed with a software update then a simple recall or TSB could help kill the trend.
Nothing to fix on the 2022+ models. All trims all models both Hyundai and Kia were and are built with an immobilizer that prevents what could be done on earlier models. I see the Hyundai dealer here offers a free steering wheel lock for some past years and models.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
but if it's something that could be fixed with a software update then a simple recall or TSB could help kill the trend.
Well, you can't fix a hardware change with a software update. Just like in some higher end cars, the new cars 22 on have a chip in the key that also has to communicate with the car that not only is a key inserted but it's a registered key. Else, you could still ripe off the column and use a screwdriver to start the car. But if they chip in the key doesn't tell the computer via new hardware in the column (a transceiver) that it's an authorized key, the computer won't let the car start.

Software can't fix something that the hardware just can't do.

Some people just have to read up on what an immobilizer is in today's technical world. It's not like a giant lock or pin that drops into place, it's a binary (YES/NO) in the computer that sends the signal to ECM telling it that it's OK to supply gas and spark.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Well, you can't fix a hardware change with a software update.
Right, which is why I wondered what the difference was exactly with the 2022s

One of my cars has an immobilizer so I definitely understand how they work. With mine even if the key is a little loose in it's housing it can't communicate well with the computer and the car will start but then immediately stop again.

·
Registered
'22 Tucson
70 Posts
Pardon me just cheating here, but my intelligence has been compromised by reading [likely too much] about the need for a 'Faraday Bag' to keep nasty beings nearby in a parking from grabbing and copying your remote's 'frequency' when using it to lock/ unlock the car. A case of a little knowledge for me spelling doom. And to think I started out just looking into a nice pretty fob holder for the wife.
Are the '22es now immune to this sorta malarkey same as the 'bashed column-usb hack'?.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
The '21s and '22s that have the key fob (not sure of the real key version) uses NFC (Near Field Communications) so it's not just a frequency but also a communications dialog that occurs between the fob (and maybe key, they can make NFC transmitters really small i.e. the key card just has a chip) and the computer.

If I had to take a wild guess, with today's technology, I'd wager that the key probably also has an NFC chip as all NFC devices use the same frequency which is 13.56 MHZ and the difference is the encrypted two way communication that occurs. That's also the reason if your battery dies in a key fob car, you hold the key fob against the start button and press the start button with the key fob held against it. The start button supplies enough RF power to energize the internal NFC chip.

But as I said, I have a '21 with the fob's so I haven't done any research on what Hyundai did on the late '21s (started in Sept 21) and the 22's for the ones that have keys. They only started to install immobilizers sometime in September of 21 in all their cars.

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
So I guess it's media misleading the readers by saying you can start it with a USB plug leaving out the fact that they have busted the lock tumblers and anything that would fit the hole could now start the car. I'm pretty sure that all cars sold here and have been for some time require a security system that relys more than a ignition barrel tumbler to work with the key.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Someone tried stealing my Hyundai Tucson 2020 by picking my car lock then stuck something into my ignition but my car shut off they got mad tried to steal my Cadillac converter failed thankful to still have my car I have a break lock also a wheel lock but I’m parking in garage

·
Registered
'22 Tucson
70 Posts
For ::Bookworm::, thanks good post.

Outside of a rocket system to fire at any and all flatbed towtrucks coming within 50', high visibility deterrence is the most effective protection. Everyone of my 3 other cars have their own steering wheel lock, and I'm hunting for the right one for the wife's Tucson right now. Thieves are stupid but not daft. Why spend even 1 minute trying to bust a wheel lock when there are thousands more parked nearby without one. I like the the design of this one, though I'd have to make it a lot more quickly and easily visible from the outside. Automotive vinyl spray dye and colored electrical tape come to mind:
Product Tool Font Household hardware Auto part

I have The Club for 2 cars, and this comes in a close second place:
Bicycle fork Material property Tool Font Test tube

And I have one of this general design for an old hotrod Monte Carlo. Of course one must always remember to pull the tilt all the way down first. A bit more cumbersome to use, but guarantees excessive grief for any thief:
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive design

1 - 20 of 31 Posts