Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i am looking to buy a 2007 Sonata 4 cylinder with 145K miles. There is a ticking noise coming from the motor. Sounds like a lifter tick. You can here it all the time even after its warmed up. They are asking $1500 for the car so if its not a super expensive fix, it would still be worth buying. I just dont know much about these cars.

Also, is there anything else i should look for before buying the car??

Any help is appreciated! Thanks

·
Banned
1,850 Posts
There is a ticking noise coming from the motor. Sounds like a lifter tick. You can here it all the time even after its warmed up.
There probably is no middle ground here:
If it really is lifter tick it might go another 145K.
If it is a loose or worn bearing, it might not go another 145 miles.

Have it evaluated by a dealers shop or independent mechanic.
Even then you can't be absolutely sure but it's better than wild guesses over the Internet !! ;)

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
but for 1500.00 if it lasts you 25 days it's cheaper than a rental car.
I've driven my 06 2.4 for seven years, it has ticked for all seven AND I paid more than $1500.00 for it. Still gives me 30+ mpg on the highway.

·
Registered
838 Posts
If this is the 2.4L engine, maybe it is just a valve lifter that needs adjustment? They use solid lifters, not the common hydraulic lifters, and use different size replaceble shims to adjust them.

I don't know the procedure to do this, but I bet it would quiet your engine right down, if this is what is causing the noise?

IMO, this is the most likely issue.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts