Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled into my driveway this evening and heard a slow ticking sound that got faster and faster until it was a slight buzz like a ball bearing dropped from a few feet on to hard surface.
I turned off every accessory (radio, climate control) and the noise continued. I don't have anything in the center console or glove box other than the owners manual.
What the french toast is that?

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
Bad relay maybe? Still under warranty? This should be covered by the 5/60

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bad relay maybe? Still under warranty? This should be covered by the 5/60
Yeah, I've had it 2 months...I don't think the car has relays for anything under the dash given the amount of digital modules it has with transistor outputs.

It might be the gauge needles? I know they use tiny stepper motors - maybe it was recalibrating.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Try to listen closely and follow sound to pin point origin of sound.. go from there.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Try to listen closely and follow sound to pin point origin of sound.. go from there.
It's only done it once and have no idea how to replicate it. I did pinpoint it...to "behind the cluster." So, until I can take the dash apart (haha), it will have to remain a mystery.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Rattles and other unpleasant sounds are notoriously difficult to pin down. I had what I thought was a rattle coming from the passenger side rear of the car. I even sat in the back seat and was convinced it was coming from the trunk area. I my search I noticed one day that the rattle was gone when I had the sunroof open slightly. With that clue I finally tracked the rattle down to the pop up wind screen. A few well placed pieces of sticky felt and the rattle was no more.

Sound can easily travel through body panels so it can take a lot of effort to track down the absolute source of unwelcome noises.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Rattles and other unpleasant sounds are notoriously difficult to pin down.

Sound can easily travel through body panels so it can take a lot of effort to track down the absolute source of unwelcome noises.
There is no doubt of its location. I have very good ears and a logical mind: I'm an electrical engineer working in acoustics. My sunroof seal rattles a bit due to stiction and I identified it immediately. I fixed it by spraying a bit of dry silicone on the seals.
What I heard was definitely a ticking sound but as you may have missed, it was not constant and occurred with no accessories on and the vehicle was stationary (but running). Its period decreased yet the frequency remained the same. My description is as accurate as you'll ever find. Have you ever dropped a marble on to a hard, smooth surface from maybe two feet? As the marble loses altitude, it contacts the surface with shorter periods of time between each bounce. It finally ends with a distinct buzzing sound.
It hasn't done it again...

·
Registered
550 Posts
I had a rattle a few months ago thought it was coming from the passenger side seat belt area hard to tell. I took it to the dealer and they heard it as well but needed more time with the car. I made a appointment to take it back but since then I have not heard the rattle again. Not sure where it was coming from. Thought it was the dash then maybe the rear, or the sun roof. Strange. No very quiet. I rarely use the sun roof. Maybe had it open twice. Not sure if it was coming from there or not. The last four months not rattles at all.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I had one rattle that I thought came from the drivers side A pillar..... Wrong it was the the pull up sun screen on driver side rear seat. Pulled it up and down several times and that eliminated the front rattle sound
Another area I have found on several cars I have owned is front passenger seat belt
(when empty) rattles against B panel trim
Funny how noise in a car can deceive you in thinking it is in one area and it turns out in a completely different area

·
Registered
550 Posts
Another area I have found on several cars I have owned is front passenger seat belt
(when empty) rattles against B panel trim
Funny how noise in a car can deceive you in thinking it is in one area and it turns out in a completely different area

Yes that is where I thought my rattle was coming from maybe from something not tight inside the panel. It's gone now!

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have read somewhere that the EPS (electronic steering) will Click or Tick at times while doing a diagnostic.

·
22,787 Posts
Funny how a rattle can drive you up the wall! Divert your attention from the road. Almost cause you to have an accident, or cross over the painted line on the shoulder while reaching over, hitting, tapping, looking in/at places. That's how it was for me until I removed granddaughter's sunglasses from the passenger side panel slot. Which I found quite by accident while vacuuming. That girl is on a mission to drive me insane! ;)

·
Registered
2014 HSH Limited, black. With rear vents and heated seats! 165,000 km (103,000 miles) :)
52 Posts
Did you ever figure out what it was? I'm hearing a ticking behind the dashboard somewhere between the ignition and the steering wheel.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts