Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2000 Tiburon for a pretty good price, and it runs great except for one minor problem. Occasionally, it will not shift past park even with the brake fully depressed. Also, once I'm ready to shift it back into park, the stick will not push up past reverse, I have to put it into neutral, reach underneath and manually move the little metal piece forward, freeing it up and allowing me to put the car into park.

If anyone has experienced a similar problem or has any suggestions, they would be appreciated. I can offer more information if needed but not sure what else to look into to fix this problem. I'm hoping it's something really simple.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My car is a 2009 Elantra. I had a similar problem in that I couldn't shift into park after driving. The stick wouldn't go past neutral. I immediately took it back to the dealer. He had me step on the brakes and noticed the lights were not coming on. Apparently I had a bad brake switch. It was replaced and it seems to have fixed the problem. Apparently there was a recall/service advisory on this bad brake switch issue. If this is your problem, get it fixed ASAP. I didn't realize that I was driving without brake lights! The advisory also mentions that tapping the brakes while in cruise control may not work.

Hope this helps!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts