Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I’m new to the forum.
I was wandering if somebody already attempted to install (swap) the disks of a Tiburon in place of the rear drums of the Accent, or if this is even possible by the way it is a 2009 SE 3 doors

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!
I will look into it, I'm thinking on boosting my car in the future and don't feel confortable with going faster if i can't stop better, if you know what i mean.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Isn't the tiburon a 5 bolt rotor? You can probably change that spindle and everything, but than you'll have front 4 bolts and rear 5 bolts?

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
QUOTE (mpfive @ May 13 2010, 02:40 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=322579
Isn't the tiburon a 5 bolt rotor? You can probably change that spindle and everything, but than you'll have front 4 bolts and rear 5 bolts?
You could redrill to 4x100. The Elantra from 2001 to 2006 had rear discs and is 4x100. The problem is that earlier Hyundais used a rear multilink setup whereas we have a rear beam. If the rear beam/spindle doesn't have mounting ears for the caliper carrier then you're out of luck. The spindle from a tiburon or elantra won't fit because it's more like a front suspension knuckle on which the strut bolts to.

Best bet is a kia rio or early MC.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
sometime you have to think outside of the box in this case Hyundai any 4x100 rear disk and calip will work so any honda or corolla will work with proper installation

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
The only benefit swapping to rear disc will just be for look. Like burnit said, rear disc will not stop you faster only bigger brakes will.

Adding rear disc from other cars will just make things harder and complicated, jmtc.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Drum brakes in the rear will actually help you if you add more power with the only exception being if you're making a serious track car. Which I doubt you are.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Adding rear disc brakes would help by evening out the brake bias. Can't have the front tires do all the work in braking and vise versa.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Honestly, he wouldn't notice the difference unless he was tracking the car rather often. I had a long discussion about this with my shop mechanic over doing it since I was actually going to do this and he ended up convincing me not to, since I'm not planning on tracking the car any time soon - if ever - and believe me, he's the first guy to jump on doing things to improve a car.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
QUOTE (Naky @ May 14 2010, 11:17 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=322997
Honestly, he wouldn't notice the difference unless he was tracking the car rather often. I had a long discussion about this with my shop mechanic over doing it since I was actually going to do this and he ended up convincing me not to, since I'm not planning on tracking the car any time soon - if ever - and believe me, he's the first guy to jump on doing things to improve a car.
The only other valid reason to do a disc swap is for looks if you have a show car. Plus the drums will probably last for at least 200k km. Discs, not so much.

·
Registered
302 Posts
you'll save money and trouble by keeping the drums in many different ways:

- obviously you won't waste money on the swap
- labour
- risk having future problems
- voiding warranty
- less frequent brake service (like burnitwithfire said)

like others specified, unless you are planning to track the car or for looks, i really don't see a point in it.

·
Registered
302 Posts
QUOTE (LePapirrikY @ May 14 2010, 11:54 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=323017
Ditto, except that my cluster still better than yours :D

on the other hand of course, we can always grab the rear disc assembly from LePapirrikY's car, so you know it'll fit 100% AHEM... and i'll grab a few things myself as well, like umm... a very nice cough-cluster-cough. :innocent:

·
Registered
709 Posts
Swapping brakes from another car is not terribly difficult. The rotors are the easiest part. The real issue is the caliper. Does the Tiburon have the same mounting point for the caliper? if not, you will need to have a custom mounting bracket machined to center the new larger caliper in the correct position.

If hyundai is like other manufactures in that mounting points are similar if not exactly the same, I would say that using the brakes off a larger hyundai may be a viable option.

If anyone has access to a tiburon and can take some measurements, or plans on visiting a junk yard with a ruler, this could be confirmed or not.

There are lots of options like this within Toyota and Nissan. I cant imagine that hyundai is very different.

The next issue to worry about is brake bias and the master cylinder. If the new larger calipers need more fluid to move the piston(s), then you may need to upgrade to a master cylinder with a larger plunger. This mod can also cause issues for those that have ABS. None of these issues are impossible to deal with but they are things to consider.

·
Registered
63 Posts
It's probably easier just to find the parts from a junked 2007SE or an Accent GLS. I also looked into getting the parts direct from Hyundai, but that way would probably cost close to $1000. I think they call their mounting bracket a "spindle", so you could probably buy that with the required master cylinders and e-brake cable and get away with it I'm guessing. They sell all the parts (Pretty sure from the last time I researched) through parts wholesalers, So there's probably everything down to the rotors and calipers.

It probably won't make that big of a difference though unless a person's planning to disable the ABS and do a lot of left-foot braking, in which case the discs dissipate heat better under the constant wear.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have not looked into this yet. but I am thinking the 11 inch rotor from something like a 2002 sonata might just work, you would need to see if any of the pieces will work.

Willie

1 - 20 of 22 Posts