Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 2004 V6 with 105,000 miles on it, stock. I've owned it for a year now. No recent work done to the car. Ran through about a foot of water, not long after that I shut it off to get gas. Now it cranks normally but won't start.

-the fuel pump runs when i turn the key on
-engine starts to run for a few seconds when cranking and spraying carb cleaner into the intake
-checked injectors and they don't have power
-checked ECU relay, fuse and they are fine

Can anyone give me suggestions of solving this issue? Thanks

·
Registered
13,346 Posts
Hi, I have a 2004 V6 with 105,000 miles on it, stock. I've owned it for a year now. No recent work done to the car. Ran through about a foot of water, not long after that I shut it off to get gas. Now it cranks normally but won't start.

-engine starts to run for a few seconds when cranking and spraying carb cleaner into the intake

I think you found the problem. Did you look at both fuse panels? Have a good look, and check the fuses with a meter.

The harness may have shorted when you went through the water, which would blow a fuse and possibly everything is still wet inside the harness. Let things dry out and look at fuses again. It may also be on a fusible link, one of the big "block" fuses under the hood.

Oh, and don't drive through standing water any more...

Reactions: tibu2

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think you found the problem. Did you look at both fuse panels? Have a good look, and check the fuses with a meter.

The harness may have shorted when you went through the water, which would blow a fuse and possibly everything is still wet inside the harness. Let things dry out and look at fuses again. It may also be on a fusible link, one of the big "block" fuses under the hood.

Oh, and don't drive through standing water any more...
Yes i checked on both panels and the fuses are fine, after i drove through the water the car didn't presented any symptom of failure he was working perfectly fine. I just continue my way for about 15 minute and when i went to the gas station i turned of the car to get gas, When i went to turn him back on he just cranked normally but he didn't turn on. It have been 4 days and he wont turn on.

·
Registered
13,346 Posts
Yes i checked on both panels and the fuses are fine, after i drove through the water the car didn't presented any symptom of failure he was working perfectly fine. I just continue my way for about 15 minute and when i went to the gas station i turned of the car to get gas, When i went to turn him back on he just cranked normally but he didn't turn on. It have been 4 days and he wont turn on.
I'd get a hold of a code scanner and see if the ECU is giving any error codes. It's always a possibility that getting things wet caused an issue with the ECU, but what doesn't make sense the car ran fine for 15 minutes afterwards....that's the stumper...

Reactions: tibu2

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd get a hold of a code scanner and see if the ECU is giving any error codes. It's always a possibility that getting things wet caused an issue with the ECU, but what doesn't make sense the car ran fine for 15 minutes afterwards....that's the stumper...
Yes that's my confusion too. My cousin connected his scanner and the scanner threw an o2 sensor code and also threw codes of all the cylinders. I don't know exactly the code numbers.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
14,716 Posts
the fuel pump runs when i turn the key on
Yeah, but does it run while your cranking the engine? That's what's important, not that it will prime the fuel rail when you switch the ignition on.

The fuel injectors are supplied power from their own dedicated fuse. You said you checked the fuses, but did you check that there is 12V being supplied to the INJ fuse on the engine bay fusebox while the ignition is switched on?

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,451 Posts

I agree with old's cool. You found the problem.
You just have to back track it to the source of the problem.
Why are the injectors with no power?
It could be a fuse. Or as Autospark says, check to see if the fuse have 12 volts to supply power to the injectors.

With the engine off, check to see if the injector power is shorted to ground?
If not then would supplying the 12 volts let you start the engine?
Sort of proof that the problem is no power to the injectors.
Of course there could be other problem such as no injector signal.
But right now, begin with finding power to the injectors.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update
Today I replaced the cam and the crank sensor and the car started, after like 15 min we decided to turn it off, and when we went to start it he wont again, he is doing the same thing but know he is blowing out the fuse h/lp that is a number 15. We put a multimeter on it and he is going negative. It seems that some wire of the crank sensor is making an electrical shorting. How should i proceed?

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,451 Posts
Visual inspection of the wiring at and near the crankshaft sensor.
See if any wires are wet or any wires are rubbing against metal/exhaust?
Sometimes just moving the wires will let you start the engine
But it won't actually solve the problem

You could put a test light across that fuse (using a blown fuse and carefully wrapping some wire onto it
Put the fuse in and hook up the test light.) It should light up bright.
Then start moving wires around. When the intensity of the light changes then you know you are on track

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Visual inspection of the wiring at and near the crankshaft sensor.
See if any wires are wet or any wires are rubbing against metal/exhaust?
Sometimes just moving the wires will let you start the engine
But it won't actually solve the problem

You could put a test light across that fuse (using a blown fuse and carefully wrapping some wire onto it
Put the fuse in and hook up the test light.) It should light up bright.
Then start moving wires around. When the intensity of the light changes then you know you are on track
Thanks i will try that tomorrow.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts