Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a small problem with my new Getz 1.3 GSi.

Like some of you the fuel consumption is higher than expected. Higher than my last car which was a Ford Focus 1.6 estate (wagon). I also have the problem of a very responsive throttle. When even pressing the throttle pedal only about 5mm the revs jump up to about 4000rpm. Is this normal?

I think the two problems may be related, anyone else got both too?

Thanks,

David.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Took the car to the dealer the other day. Turns out the throttle cable needs replaced as it's faulty. Going back in a couple of days as they had to order one in.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update. Got the throttle cable replaced. It's made absolutely no difference at all. I will be taking it to another dealer for a second opinion.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Originally posted by DVF@Aug 14 2004, 06:24 AM
I am having a small problem with my new Getz 1.3 GSi.

Like some of you the fuel consumption is higher than expected. Higher than my last car which was a Ford Focus 1.6 estate (wagon). I also have the problem of a very responsive throttle. When even pressing the throttle pedal only about 5mm the revs jump up to about 4000rpm. Is this normal?

I think the two problems may be related, anyone else got both too?

Thanks,

David.
[snapback]765[/snapback]​

can we have the figure of your FC,
if it is about 8.8L/100km,
i think it is normal.
and u mentioned about the throttle cable, in my humble opinion, it is due to the fuzzy logic gear box, and u can refer to the gearing ratio, it is normal, when the car no power, it will down shift to lower gear to make the car move.
your is 1.3/1.6?

cheers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hey i don't know if this will fix it but, ask your hyundai agent about an ECU FIX for your car they have a problem with their computer and that should fix it. let me know how you get on.

Attachments

·
Registered
422 Posts
Getz4Play, I think that you may be refering to the hard start problem that the Getz experiences, this will not eliminate this problem, however good on ya for being on the ball!

I would take your car to Hyundai Dealer and have them to check the codes with a Hi Scan.
It's almost guarunteed that you will find a TPS code.
Let us know when you have taken the car and what they said it was!

Throttle Position Sensor.

:D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry folks, been away for a while. I will hopefully be taking the car to the other dealer tomorrow as I have time now.

Wisely, the car is a 1.3 with a manual gearbox, and being the lower spec model it doesn't have the trip computer, sorry.

To elaborate on the problem, or explain it differently, the power level remains the same no matter if very light or full throttle is used. This makes it seem to other people that I'm running around on full throttle all the time when I'm really just trying to drive normally.

Thanks for the replies. Will update soon.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Went in to another dealer the other day. Tried one of their showroom models. It was the same :angry: :angry:

Must just be a characteristic of the car. Oh well.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've also experienced problems like this. When i first had the car the car the throttle response was great couldn't fault it. This was in the summer and since the winter months it has deteriorated, until it got really bad when i put it into hytech in Glasgow and the relaced a sensor in the engine and it was ok again, but it seems to be getting worse yet again.

Really irritating as i absolutely love this car.

Have you experienced problems like this or throttle response being good one minute and not so good the next?

·
Registered
422 Posts
Most definitely heard of this, 9 times out of 10 it is a failed MAP sensor.

But in saying that it may only be in the early stages of failure and the way I would test it without the Hi-Scan may not suffice in this case, but then again it might.

The way that you can usually tell that it is a MAP sensor failure is, when you press down your accellerator fairly quickly at take off, it seems to bog down, and seems to be really struggling to make power, then it hits a certain spot in the rev range and merges back into normal running again.
But without being actually able to see and feel what your car is doing, that is just an educated guess!

Hope this helps you out.
But your car is still under warranty, have your nearest dealer check it out for trouble codes!!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Magic that is the exact symptoms i'm experiencing, on take off it moves then the power drops dramatically and then picks up slowly until almost normal but still doesnt feel right. A very good guess muchly eppreciated your the first person to be able to realise the problem no-one else notices the difference. Thanks very much :D

Is this the sort of problem you experienced DVF?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No, my problems the exact opposite. Too much power at light throttle, makes it extremely difficult to hold the engine at a constant speed.

I'm still not convinced it's normal though. I'll need to try another few to be sure!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hmm... I just wanna go faster and faster maybe we should swap engines DVF

Taking her in today to book a wee inspection. so will let you know what they say etc...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Put a wee bit of engine flush stuff Nitro-boost dunno what its called something like that.

Went out and ragged the B*** off it and now seems to be ok. Need to be a wee bit more gentle with the gearbox in the winter the guy at the Hyundai has the 1.6 sport and was having same problems as me.

So sorted and me happy. :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
You did not say what miles per gallon you were doing, or kms per litre. I have just purchased a 1300 Getz and I am getting 36 mile per gall' urban and 38 miles per gall on the motorway ( this is driving at a constant 70 mph on the motorwayand not more than 40 mph urban .) Although it say you should do more in the book I am happy with this performance because to obtain the specified milages you have to drive extra carefully. Doe any one have any comments.
Ivor216

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't have the trip computer in my car so I couldn't tell you what the mpg is. Doesn't seem out of the ordinary though.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Hi ivor216.
I have a Hyundai Getz 1300 CDX and the FC is well below what I was led to believe was the norm, after fitting a K&N Air filter my FC has gone from a diabolical 24 mpg to a urban average of 21.5 mpg and that is through the on board computer, which I think is very poor for a 1300 engine, I have been in touch with Hyundai, as you can expect they say that the FC in the manual is over a simulated urban mile??? which may not equate to any normal urban mile ????? can anyone explain to me what is a normal urban mile !!!!!
Well done Hyundai, for managing to talk bull and getting away with it again. :clap:

·
Registered
422 Posts
Well done Hyundai, for managing to talk bull and getting away with it again.

This is just a generalisation for fuel consumption.
Not the exact specification for fuel mileage.

It all depends on your driving style, traffic and quality of fuel being used.

It is quite simple as said by many of the members on this forum, if you are unhappy with the product..... then change to another vehicle manufacturer.

Hyundai make millions of customers satisfied every year, I am sure that they will not miss one customer who is winging about 2.5gallons per 100 miles! :glare:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

I bought my Getz in Oct 2004, the 2nd day they launched it in India. When I bought it I faced the same problem, the response was very bad specially I felt it when I hit the highway.

Now my car has done 6000 KM and in the 6 month II service I change the air filter. Now I have K & N air filter, now the revs are much better and has good top end also. My last outing on the highway I hit the 160 KM/Hr mark and she was smooth and stable. And my my milage with Air Conditioning is 14 Km/l

If your car is brand new then I suggest you wait till the second service and you will feel the differnece... till then done push her.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts