Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Morning everyone.

Just wondering if anyone has experienced this problem and if so, do you know of any fix there may be.

I was driving home last night doing around 70mph on the motorway with the Cruise Control on. I was on a flat piece of road and the Cruise Control knocked itself off.

I switched it back on and it stayed on for a few minutes, then knocked itself off again. I did this a couple of times, but each time the Cruise Control knocked itself off in a shorter time. Up to the point where it then would not come on.

I just thought it was strange and carried on driving as normal, but I then noticed the car was lacking power.

It did feel like an old non-Turbo diesel used to feel. Very sluggish.

As I left the motorway and stopped at the junction, I went to move off and there was no throttle response and I stalled. I restarted and then had to build the revs slowly and I crawled the last couple of miles home.

When I arrived home, I switched off and on a couple of times and the throttle had no response at all.

I went back out to the car a couple of hours later to try it and it was fine!!!!

I'm a bit puzzled by this. All I can think is a possible vapour trap in the fuel system or something has blocked the fuel filter and then later settled.....

Any ideas anyone. The car had over half a tank of fuel in it, so I can't see it being anything from the bottom of the tank.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Sounds like an issue with the throttle wiring - it's an electronic connection between pedal and engine, not an old-fashioned cable.

Check that all connections around the throttle and brake pedals are sound.

Has you car been recalled for the brake switch replacement and/or fuel pipe replacement - check the VOSA website for recalls R/2012/018 and R/2013/056 http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/searches/search.asp

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that.
I don't think either of those recalls relate to my vehicle.

I am just going to go out and have a look. Like I said, it was fine when I went out a couple of hours later, but I hate intermittent faults. You can never rest easy can you???? ;(

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
The fuel hose recall applies to 2010-2012 model years of Santa Fe but the brake light switch recall, which may be implicated in your problem, applies to 2006-2011 Santa Fe.

With a 2.2 diesel, one or both of the recalls apply - contact your local Hyundai dealer with your VIN number and they'll check.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well.

I went out and checked it over today. Ran it for a while. Took it for a run on the motorway. With and without the Cruise Control. And it's fine!!!!!!!

Weird one!

Suppose I will just have to monitor it. I have been unable to find anything on the net that comes close to it and I rang the local dealer who couldn't offer anything.

I'm mithed!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
"I restarted and then had to build the revs slowly and I crawled the last couple of miles home."

With all of that, I'd be surprised that the MIL wasn't lit, and a whole lot more surprised if there isn't a code stored and waiting for you in the ECU. If performance gets badly hammered, the cruise will give up adding throttle after a point (as it also sometimes can on a steep hill, for similar reasons), so I'd ignore anything to do with the cruise for now, and focus on where your engine power went.

If you own a scanner, check it out, else find someone who will perform a basic code scan for you and report back.

·
Registered
65 Posts
There might be a problem on EGR. I have had similar experience without cruise control mode, sudden decrease of power while speed about 60 Kmh. As you have mentioned, this is very strange and back to normal on next start. On your diagnostic, better to check EGR too

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cheers guys.

I have run it today and still fine. I am having it code checked on Tuesday, so we will see then. Even if it is fine from now on, it would still be great to see what has gone on.

One such suggestion was that there may be a faulty throttle potentiometer. We will see........

1 - 9 of 9 Posts