Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting a new thread (again) because the issue has shifted away from what I thought it was earlier.

I may have been able to find a data reading that means something. When the vehicle hesitates (loses power, drops RPM for a bit) I noticed today that the TP(%) went immediately to 0.0 even though the accelerator was still down. After a second or so it went back to its normal reading. This happened a few times today. So it's as if the TPS is telling the system that the throttle is totally backed off when it's not, and (I would assume) it thinks it does not need the fuel it needs to maintain speed.

Is this pointing to a failing TPS? Or is there something else I should be looking at?

And for you fans of the movie Office Space, yes, this is a TPS report . . . ;)

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
Starting a new thread (again) because the issue has shifted away from what I thought it was earlier.

I may have been able to find a data reading that means something. When the vehicle hesitates (loses power, drops RPM for a bit) I noticed today that the TP(%) went immediately to 0.0 even though the accelerator was still down. After a second or so it went back to its normal reading. This happened a few times today. So it's as if the TPS is telling the system that the throttle is totally backed off when it's not, and (I would assume) it thinks it does not need the fuel it needs to maintain speed.

Is this pointing to a failing TPS? Or is there something else I should be looking at?

And for you fans of the movie Office Space, yes, this is a TPS report . . . ;)
What else could do that?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Put the new sensor in and the vehicle immediately threw a code:

P0122
Throttle/Pedal position
Sensor/Switch A Circuit Low

Engine also idled extremely high at times. Got a pending code:

P0507
Idle Air Control System
RPM Higher Than Expected

The new TPS is a Beck Arnley from Rock Auto. Guess I'm sending this one back and paying more to get a better brand from the local parts store. Not sure what else it could be. Putting the old one back on until then. 😒

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looking at different Hyundai parts vendors online -- are they all using the same part number? Some sites say it fits this vehicle (2003 Santa Fe, 2.4L) but some say it does not. It's a bit confusing -- don't want to get the wrong part.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quick update: got an OEM sensor from HyundaiPartsDeal -- installed last weekend and the vehicle has been running great! Was able to drive it up to my daughter in Flagstaff today (and get my own car back from her).

Thanks to everyone (esp. grcauto and AUTOSPARK) for all your advice these last several months. You've been a tremendous help.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have always selected Beck Arnley parts when purchasing from R/A and never had a problem, however when it comes to sensors I try to stick with the manufacturer of the OEM sensors.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts