Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Patient: Hyundai 5D SANTA FE STW 2.0D CRDI VGT AUTOMATIC-S-81VP-4X4/262, year model 2004.

The car sat for a couple months unused at our yard, I charged the battery, started it, started fine but the throttle pedal acted as if the throttle cable (which this does not have) were loose, as in not getting full throttle, the revs climbing sluggishly but otherwise worked fine. The next morning the car started normally, worked perfectly fine got full throttle response etc, off to the gas station full load of diesel, rolling out from the pump the throttle pedal is completely dead having no response what so ever and the check engine light came on. It curiously enough also raised the idle revs high enough to just barely engage the automatic trans so I was able to limp back home at a brisk jogging speed. Got home, broke out the test laptop (OBDAutodoctor) and not only does the computer claim there are no codes, it also claims the MIL light isn`t even on! WTH?! My other car just busted a universal joint yesterday and I drive for work so I NEED to get one or the other on the road STAT!!! PLS ANY thoughts appreciated! And as said this is a DIESEL so not entirely sure if it even HAS a throttle position sensor, or even a throttle flap body for that matter! I took apart the intake side after the intercooler and found what I thought to be a throttle body but it was just some flap controlled by vacuum without any electronics, not entirely sure what that is or does.

·
Registered
6,905 Posts
Your diesel doesn't have a throttle body. Can you scan all modules?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm afraid I can't. Weirdly enough if I hook the autodoctor software into my Fiat Scudo for example, I can get all sorts of live sensor data etc basically monitor whatever I can think of, but if I try to get into the Hyundai's brain all I get is engine power, torque and battery voltage. It even claims no OBD codes present even though there clearly are some since the MIL is lit!

·
Registered
6,905 Posts
I'm thinking you may have a speed sensor that is causing you to go into limp mode. That's likely a tranny issue. not engine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually got a garage scheduled already. Had an appt for the fiat reserved but gonna fetch it out and swap the driveshaft myself as that I CAN do at home, let them figure out the santa.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
14,726 Posts
It curiously enough also raised the idle revs high enough to just barely engage the automatic trans
That's what it does when there is a problem with the throttle. The engine speed is basically fixed at fast idle to allow you to "limp" home.

You should try disconnecting the brake pedal switch to see if that makes any difference. Brake switch failure is quite common on Hyundai cars, and when the engine PCM sees a brake switch input and a throttle pedal input at the same time (which can happen when the brake switch is faulty) it can cause the throttle to drop into limp mode which sounds like what your experiencing. I've also had a car that would drive fine during the day but wouldn't respond to the throttle at night. In that particular case the fault was traced to an incorrect bulb installed in one of the rear lamps that was shorting the tail & brake light circuits together.

If I helped you fix it, why not...

Your support is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually got a garage scheduled already. Had an appt for the fiat reserved but gonna fetch it out and swap the driveshaft myself as that I CAN do at home, let them figure out the santa.
A golden nugget of information there, much obliged and be sure to check it out as soon as I get the fiat back in order!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A golden nugget of information there, much obliged and be sure to check it out as soon as I get the fiat back in order!
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Repair shop finally had time to look at the car. The throttle pedal module is indeed dead and has to be replaced.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts