Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Everyone,

:cheers:*

I recently picked up my F20Turbo on 11/4 and enjoyed every bit of it so far. Im sure other Turbo owners will agree and have noticed the delay between mashing the "GO FAST" pedal and the car taking off.

I was browsing around and didnt see anything relating to this and thought I'd ask here for some input.

A buddy of mine has one and swears by it in his Honda Fit. A throttle controller. His description is: "It essentially makes your throttle more sensitive, requiring less input to rev faster"

So long story short it allows you to adjust the response time in a throttle system to make it faster OR you can turn it down to make it less responsive for better MPG I guess. This will likely reduce the lag that many of us feel (especially us turbo guys) between pressing the gas pedal and the engine actually revving...

Has anyone used or tried this for our cars?

Thanks in advance!
`Phill

Has anyone used or tried this for our cars?

Thanks in advance!
`Phill

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
It's called turbo lag and its not unique to Sonatas. Basically it takes a second for the turbo to spool up after mashing the gas pedal.

Throttle controller? Sounds like something on a late night infomercial.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
It's called turbo lag and its not unique to Sonatas. Basically it takes a second for the turbo to spool up after mashing the gas pedal.

Throttle controller? Sounds like something on a late night infomercial.
While turbo lag exists; that's not what he is talking about. He is referring to the TPS signal and modifying it to hit "peak" earlier in the pedal press as well as modifying the backside (not sure how thats going to be done) to not "smooth" the input and accept if for as its delivered.

Some makes see results from this and others its nothing.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Bearcats!

Yep not talking about Turbo Lag. I may just pull the trigger on this to see if there is a change. not to expensive and easily reversible.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Hmm, ive never noticed a delay in my 2.4. Throttle response feels instantaneous to me.

·
Registered
330 Posts
You may also be experiencing the electric throttle response delay versus the old fashion throttle linkage to the carb or FI. Most cars have had electric throttle pedals for about 10 years but if you were used to the immediate response from a linked pedal that could make a difference.

Is your Eco button on? One of the properties of the Eco button is delayed pedal response.

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,291 Posts

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
So that thing plugs into the OBD port and alters the computer's parameters?

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Okay I just saw the video on youtube. It connects inline with the throttle harness. It looks cool but I'm skeptical. Seems like its meant to make the gas pedal more or less sensitive. I guess it gives the driver the illusion of the car being more sporty.

·
Banned
1,090 Posts
No idea what or how what you're talking about actually does, but many car makers retard the vehilce, some calling it "torque management" in order to prevent hard acceleration. With the powertrain warranties that they are today, I do see why they do it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
2.0 터보;1877145 said:
You may also be experiencing the electric throttle response delay versus the old fashion throttle linkage to the carb or FI. Most cars have had electric throttle pedals for about 10 years but if you were used to the immediate response from a linked pedal that could make a difference.

Is your Eco button on? One of the properties of the Eco button is delayed pedal response.
Nope! no eco on when driving. I usually keep it off since I dont really notice a difference with MPG.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Not sure how it would be done on this car with a push button start, but on my truck you could do a sequence of turning the key and pushing the pedal like 3 times and turning the key a few more times and it would basically restart the throttle response. With the programmer I had on it before it would read about 70-80% pedal when it was pushed to the floor, afterward it would read 100-101% and it was actually a big difference in how the truck felt when starting from a red light. Not sure if you can restart that on this car or not. Maybe unplugging the battery for a little while would do the trick.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I would think if transmission failure happens, Hyundai would decline warranty claim if they find out one of these toys was being used.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts