Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to clean the throttle body on my 2015 Sonata 2.4. I am doing my research and getting two answers. Some people say just hold the throttle plate open with your finger and clean away. On the other hand some people say if you force open the throttle plate you will cause some problems with the computer where the check engine might come on and the car will idle rough and you will have to get it reset at the dealer. In this case some people say to disconect the battery and others say to have somebody turn on the ignition but dont start the car and press on the accelerator pedal so that the valve will open.
How have you done it? Whats your experience with this? Thanks.

·
Registered
8,177 Posts
I've forced my TB open by hand on my Gen Coupe. There is no other way. My Gen Coupe if you turn on the key and floor it does nothing.

I would guess if you turn on the key and floor the gas pedal and the TB opens then you should not open it by hand.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Haven't done it on my Sonata, but have had to clean the TB on by '05 Canyon because it is a dirty dirty engine. I have always just removed the TB from the Canyon because it is pretty easy access on top of engine. Never had any reprogramming or rough idle. The reason i cleaned it was to fix the rough idle and it purrs like a kitten every time I clean it up. I use carb cleaner or brake cleaner and cloth. Use my hand to manipulate the plate and the spring brings it right back with no issues.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you. I will try to see if the gas pedal does anything.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts