Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the Throttle body and injectors cleaned the other day. The mechanics called it an IV drip. They placed a bottle with cleaner in it and hung it off the hood latch and connected a vacuum hose. Should have seen the black smoke coming from the exhaust as the carbon was getting cleaned out.

Attachments

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,291 Posts
How much did they charge you for that? It looks pretty invasive!

I had mine done at the dealer for free (long story but they forgot to inform me of a recall and I made them comp me for a drive back) and they list it for $169.99. And I talked to the tech who said they do it by soaking a rag in injector cleaner and cleaning the butterfly plate.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
The smoke was probably from the cleaner burning in the engine. That doesn't look like a very effective way to remove carbon deposits. Does it run any better?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Only thing "cleaned" was your wallet.

Others refer to it as a "transfer device".. transfer dollars from your pocket to their pocket.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
I performed this @ 30K with the correct tools, and through a vac line that went right behind the TB. I failed to take pics, but it cleaned out a ton of oil deposits from the PCV system. (used a borascope) I also cleaned the throttle body as well, IMHO car is more responsive.

I agree with SBR. If done incorrectly, its a waste of time.

Also FYI. No abnormal exhaust fumes out my tail pipe.

·
Registered
647 Posts
If it hooked to a vacuum line then it was injected downstream of the throttle body, which should not get dirty anyway because the fuel is directly injected into the combustion chamber. The injectors could only be cleaned if it was injected into the fuel. I wonder what that black smoke did to the O2 sensors and catalytic converters? It's best to follow the manufacturer's instructions, which never mention this kind of voodoo.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
After the procedure, yes, my car was more responsive. But as Destro mentioned, I think I'll give Seafoam a try.

·
Registered
687 Posts
After the procedure, yes, my car was more responsive. But as Destro mentioned, I think I'll give Seafoam a try.
Advance Auto Parts Coupon for Online Orders $50 off $100+ Purchases
Advance Auto Parts Coupon for Online Orders
Buy Now ►
I bought this item
Update: $50 off $100 is no longer valid, however you may still save $40 off $100+ purchases.

Advance Auto Parts offers various coupons listed below. Shipping is free if you spend $75+ or you may select free in-store pick up to save on shipping. Thanks Straycat76
Note: Some exclusions may apply
$50 off $100+ Purchases (First 500 Customers)
Apply promo code DOW42 at checkout.
$40 off $100+ Purchases (Next 1000 Customers)
30% off Site-Wide (Next 2000 Customers)

Seafoam is usually 52 dollars for a gallon I believe. Use this, get two gallons, pay roughly 60 dollars for 2 gallons.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Advance Auto Parts Coupon for Online Orders $50 off $100+ Purchases
Advance Auto Parts Coupon for Online Orders
Buy Now ►
I bought this item
Update: $50 off $100 is no longer valid, however you may still save $40 off $100+ purchases.

Advance Auto Parts offers various coupons listed below. Shipping is free if you spend $75+ or you may select free in-store pick up to save on shipping. Thanks Straycat76
Note: Some exclusions may apply
$50 off $100+ Purchases (First 500 Customers)
$40 off $100+ Purchases (Next 1000 Customers)
30% off Site-Wide (Next 2000 Customers)

Seafoam is usually 52 dollars for a gallon I believe. Use this, get two gallons, pay roughly 60 dollars for 2 gallons.
Thanks guy, I appreciate it.

·
Banned
1,090 Posts
I usually get the 16 oz. cans; much easier to use. they also have an aerosol can, called deep creep, which is good for spraying out linkage.

·
Registered
343 Posts
So, I assume Seafoam goes in the gas tank, then? I can't say I've ever heard of it, but it's a darn sight better than paying someone $80-$100 to clean out the injector head...

·
Registered
687 Posts
you're right, seafoam has the same effect - nothing.
You're one person compared to countless others who say the opposite. Is 6.99 not at least worth peace of mind?

I've noticed two types of people against Seafoam. Ones who haven't tried it and ones who tried it with an old vehicle so far gone that they say "Seafoam made it worse." Which are you?

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
You're one person compared to countless others who say the opposite. Is 6.99 not at least worth peace of mind?

I've noticed two types of people against Seafoam. Ones who haven't tried it and ones who tried it with an old vehicle so far gone that they say "Seafoam made it worse." Which are you?
its called placebo effect. look it up if you're not sure what that is.

i'm not sure why people want to dump chemicals into their engines. there is no evidence to show its going to do anything other than waste your money.

weather it will work on carbon or not, show me it actually does something. show me it doesn't deteriorate seals. show me it serves a purpose other than lighten your wallet.

so has anyone ever told you what seafoam really is? marine fuel stabilizer, hence the name seafoam. its purpose is to keep water out of fuel in an environment where water is a big problem. that serves a purpose. there's nothing to prove it does anything beyond that besides anecdotal evidence - please see placebo effect.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Also, if the injectors are truly being coated in the fuel on extended intake stroke, then all you need is a top tier fuel. Notice I didn't say Premium. Top tier.

I think, however that carbon build up due to DI is still a bit of a mystery as nobody knows for fact sure that the fuel is getting to the backside of the valve like in traditional EFI type applications in the Theta motors.

If it is, then doing a "cleaning" is result of using cheap fuel.

·
Registered
687 Posts
its called placebo effect. look it up if you're not sure what that is.

i'm not sure why people want to dump chemicals into their engines. there is no evidence to show its going to do anything other than waste your money.

weather it will work on carbon or not, show me it actually does something. show me it doesn't deteriorate seals. show me it serves a purpose other than lighten your wallet.

so has anyone ever told you what seafoam really is? marine fuel stabilizer, hence the name seafoam. its purpose is to keep water out of fuel in an environment where water is a big problem. that serves a purpose. there's nothing to prove it does anything beyond that besides anecdotal evidence - please see placebo effect.
In your grasping to show your internet wisdom, you forgot to actually read where I said:
You're one person compared to countless others Is 6.99 not at least worth peace of mind?
Millions of people swear by the flu shot too. Millions of people swear against it. Which is right? No one knows. But for the millions who get it the peace of mind is well worth it. Same for Seafoam. Until I see evidence that it DOESN'T work, I'll believe it does. Much like everyone I know.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts