Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody,

Newbie here, just bought my 2011 Sonata SE (harbor gray) last saturday and I'm OBSESSED. Love everything about this car, having a lot of fun, and (since I'm financing over 72 months) looking to dress it up a bit.

I was wondering if anyone had purchased any of the head/fog/tail light trims, or the b/c pillars?

Normally I'm not all about throwing a lot of extra chrome on a car because it can look tacky, but I think the dark gray blends well with it. What's already on there doesn't stand out to much and I think a little more might look good.

I was thinking chrome headlight and taillight, with black foglight and rear deflector, and since I'm considering tinting the windows, the black gloss pillars. I was hoping to see some pictures of them installed since they don't have much of a return policy.

I'm also pretty set on the strut bar from what I've read, but was still curious about the SLR performance chip. Seems like a good value for increased horsepower and mpg....can anyone vouch for them?

·
Registered
817 Posts
I purchased the mud guards from Shark

and they were shipped promptly and were as exactly as advertised.

I recommend them based on my experience and what I've read from others here.

Oh, where's my manners?

:00000732: to the board BringinSEback.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea forgot to add those in my post. I noticed today a little splash up that would've been taken care of with the flaps. I was thinking the flaps with the black foglights and rear deflectors then chrome head/taillights and tinted windows/gloss pillars would break up all the chrome so it didn't look like too much...

Ha thanks JohnWho

·
Registered
365 Posts
So far I have ordered the Rear Decklid Spoiler, Mudguards, and the Matte Black Grille from Shark Racing. So far, I have gotten the spoiler, waiting on the mudguards and grille. They have been great at e-mailing shipping information as soon as your order ships and you can track the packages online, they give you a link.

·
Registered
365 Posts
QUOTE (BuCwiLd @ Oct 11 2010, 07:39 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=362848
how long ago you ordered the grille?
I only ordered the grille a couple days ago. It's in customs the last time I checked. I ordered the spoiler/mudflaps 2 weeks ago. The spoiler came express mail. The mudflaps are coming but slower. The grille has an express mail tracking number, so it will probably be here any day.

·
Registered
623 Posts
QUOTE (BringinSEback @ Oct 11 2010, 07:12 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=362836
I was thinking the flaps with the black foglights and rear deflectors then chrome head/taillights and gloss pillars
Save your money and get the LED tail lights instead. You'll thank me later. :thumbsup:

It's the single exterior modification that makes your car look far more expensive. Of course do whatever floats your boat.

Oh and :00000732:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So you're thinking the chrome trim on the lights is no good? I feel like the color can handle more chrome, but like I said, I'd like to see some before buying with no return policy. The tail lights do look good though. I'll probably end up changing my mind so many times on the smaller stuff that eventually I can just get some nicer big stuff haha

Ok, didnt see the word modification....i see what you're saying. a few bigger things as opposed to a bunch of little pieces...

·
Registered
623 Posts
QUOTE (BringinSEback @ Oct 11 2010, 08:16 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=362870
So you're thinking the chrome trim on the lights is no good? I feel like the color can handle more chrome, but like I said, I'd like to see some before buying with no return policy. The tail lights do look good though. I'll probably end up changing my mind so many times on the smaller stuff that eventually I can just get some nicer big stuff haha

Ok, didnt see the word modification....i see what you're saying. a few bigger things as opposed to a bunch of little pieces...
If you feel the car needs more chrome, then go for it! I'm just saying by the time You spend $275 or so on smaller things, you'd have a good jump on getting the lights, which to me really take the car upmarket. You have six years to customize, do whatever makes you happy. Figure your priority items and go from there. Shark is a great place to buy and their products are top notch.

·
Registered
17 Posts
QUOTE (Ayces @ Oct 11 2010, 10:36 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=362876
If you feel the car needs more chrome, then go for it! I'm just saying by the time You spend $275 or so on smaller things, you'd have a good jump on getting the lights, which to me really take the car upmarket. You have six years to customize, do whatever makes you happy. Figure your priority items and go from there. Shark is a great place to buy and their products are top notch.

I agree with Ayces, I ordered the LED tails from shark racing and they were on my door step in 4 days from Korea. They are amazing and pictures don't do them justice.

·
Registered
365 Posts
QUOTE (BuCwiLd @ Oct 11 2010, 07:49 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=362858
this is why im leaning toward korean imports if i did get the sonata for parts. there stuff is usually in stock in Arizona or Florida
I haven't had a good experience with Korean Imports. They told me the trunk emblem I ordered was backordered and possibly discontinued and asked if I wanted the larger size, which was way to big. I said no, and then waited a couple days before they e-mailed me back offering me a different emblem in the right size. I said ok and still am waiting for my emblem.

On the other hand Shark Racing:
Ordered spoiler 9/26 on my doorstep 10/2 (WA state)
Ordered grille 10/7 delivery notice came today.
Still waiting on mudflaps ordered on 9/26 with the spoiler though.
I am more happy with Shark Racing, because Ken responds the same day to e-mails and inquiries, much better customer service IMO. It took KAI about 5 days to respond to an email.

·
Registered
603 Posts
QUOTE (armycop @ Oct 12 2010, 02:15 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=363012
I haven't had a good experience with Korean Imports. They told me the trunk emblem I ordered was backordered and possibly discontinued and asked if I wanted the larger size, which was way to big. I said no, and then waited a couple days before they e-mailed me back offering me a different emblem in the right size. I said ok and still am waiting for my emblem.

On the other hand Shark Racing:
Ordered spoiler 9/26 on my doorstep 10/2 (WA state)
Ordered grille 10/7 delivery notice came today.
Still waiting on mudflaps ordered on 9/26 with the spoiler though.
I am more happy with Shark Racing, because Ken responds the same day to e-mails and inquiries, much better customer service IMO. It took KAI about 5 days to respond to an email.
Ive heard similar things about KAI as well. Not that theyre a terrible company or anything, theyre just inconsistent. The reason I like Shark Racing is that not only are they a site sponsor, but they post on the forums and will publicly help people with any issues they might have. You just cant beat service, especially when ordering over the Internet.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Just checked the mailbox.... MUDFLAPS! WOOHOO!!! Two thumbs up for Shark Racing. They are OEM Hyundai F/R mudflaps and were way cheaper than any other vendor and much cheaper than the dealer.

·
Registered
817 Posts
QUOTE (armycop @ Oct 13 2010, 02:08 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=363131
They are OEM Hyundai F/R mudflaps and were way cheaper than any other vendor and much cheaper than the dealer.
My dealer wanted $95 just to install them!

If you plan it right, it should take you, maybe, 20 minutes.

We have another thread on them, somewhere.

Ah, h e r e it is.

Oh, and in another thread on the mud flaps (they reallly should be consolidated), - h e r e - I posted this "trick" that makes it simpler to do the front ones:
There's a trick to the front ones - install them both at the same time. Move the wheels all the way to one direction and you can easily get to the two outer screws on one side and the inner screw on the other side. Then turn the wheels all the way the other direction which will give you easy access to the inner and outer screws on the opposite sides.

Once you've removed the screws, install both front mud guards at the same time. You'll have access to the outer screws on one side easily and the inner screw on the other side (Finger tighten the two outer screws on that side just to align them). Then move the wheels all the way to the opposite direction and you can tighten the screws that are now more clear of the wheels on each side.

Total time maybe 20-30 minutes according to how slow you screw and how many beers you drink.
(Sorry about quoting myself.)

·
Registered
365 Posts
Picked up my matte black grille at the post office today! Will be going on this weekend with the mudflaps. Now I have all my orders from Shark Racing. Time to buy some more!!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
505 Posts
Ken rocks, that is all there is to say.

He has taken care of me every time I have asked him for something, and gone above and beyond what he needs to do.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I ordered a badge from KAI thinking it's coming from the US and should take a couple weeks through snail mail. Turned out it was BO for 2 weeks and then finally arrived 4 weeks after that and guess what it shipped from Korea and not the US.

Shark has been great. Saving up the cash to make another purchase. But agree with others that the LED tails steps it up a notch.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts