Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2013 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid in the Limited package (minus the panoramic sunroof) and am looking for some thoughts on whether the maintenance package I purchased is worth it for other heavy users out there since the Sonata Hybrids have only been offered for a few years now and I can't find a lot of data out there for use other than 5 year costs for "normal" use.

I'm commuting in heavy stop-and-go traffic ~2000-2500 miles a month so I anticipate my maintenance schedule is heavily accelerated compared to standard use. I purchased a 10year/100k mile package for $1700 from my dealer which I believe covers the standard maintenance outlined in their recommended schedule

, but I’m able to cancel this plan at any time for a “pro-rated” return (based on whether or not I’ve used any services, which I haven’t). Does anyone out there have thoughts on whether or not this plan will pay back or I should cancel it?

·
Registered
67 Posts
You could figure that out yourself. Look at the maintenance schedule, and then call your dealer and ask them for the price of each said maintenance items. Now do math... How much would it cost you to maintain your vehicle for 100k miles?

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Based upon your mileage you will have 100,000 miles in 4 years. that kind of driving results in less maintenance on average than normal city/highway combined users. If this were me I would not get the package, other than oil changes (hybrids go longer on these as well) tires, brakes, oil/filters not much will go wrong in 100,000 miles. especially in 4 years. 10 years maybe, 4 years no. No age related issues so just miles. I would say get a refund

·
Registered
34 Posts
I purchased that plan for $1000 even - with zero deductible per event. Worth it I think, but for $1700, I'd call and ask them to either bump you to 120,000 miles or you are just going to cancel. I do not know if they would do that, but I have heard of someone who bought it that way. Wish I knew when I was negotiating. :)

Saw it as a $1000 gamble against "anything" in that 60,001 mile-100,000 mile window of time. Since the hybrid is a-changing, it is logical to pay into this kind of gamble…many items in electric of gas side can tally more than $1700. :)

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Or trade it for bumper to bumper 10 yr 100,000 mile warranty.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I got it when I bought my car for that very reason. I've had my car for 2.5 years (2011) and have 79,000 miles on it. I have used the extended warranty to replace the camera on the car. That was around $600 so I only have $400 to break even. I figure something else will likely happen. It may mostly be highway miles but it is mechanical so never know what will wear out!

Chuck

·
Registered
69 Posts
Is that the additional warranty they offer you that gives you choice of deductibles? I got one one but I have a $50 deductable and was wondering if it covers brake pads.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I got the best one that they offered. No deductibles. I don't think it covers things that normally wear out though. How many miles do you have that your pads are worn out already? Mine are still good!

Chuck

·
22,788 Posts
Best extended warranty in the world isn't going to cover your brake pads. You're on your own, there. You can outfit a pretty nice tool chest with some nice looking stuff AND get a repair manual to install them yourself with what the dealer is going to charge you for this R&R. "If" there IS a repair manual available. It's not rocket science, but it does require some mechanical know-how and attentiveness to detail. Brakes are a very serious component and their repair/replacement shouldn't be taken lightly. Especially these new ABS systems of the day.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts