Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2017 SFS 2.0 T Ultimate
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 15k maintenance is coming up which also happens to coincide with a scheduled oil change and tire rotation.

Dealer has a "special" for:
Service includes: oil (up to 5 qts.) and filter change, tire rotation, multi-point inspection, inspect cabin and engine air filters, wiper blades, and visually inspect brake linings and tires. Plus tax & haz. waste fees. Synthetic extra. $24.95

That's OK/decent, IMO.
But the 15,000 maintenance schedule they advertise is $220 (ouch) for:
Inspect Air Cleaner Filter
Inspect Battery Condition
Inspect Brake Hoses and Lines
Inspect Driveshafts and Boots
Inspect Exhaust Pipe and Muffler
Inspect Front Brake Disc/Pads, Calipers
Inspect Propeller Shaft
Inspect Rear Brake Disc/Pads
Inspect Steering Gear Box, Linkage & Boots/Lower Arm Ball Joint, Upper Arm Ball Joint
Inspect Suspension Mounting Bolts
Inspect Vacuum Hose
Replace Climate Control Air Filter (for evaporator and blower unit)
Replace Engine Oil and Filter
Tire Rotation

Are the above items (sans tire rotation/oil change) reasonable for a vehicle about 1.75 years old and not quite 15,000 miles on it?

I'd think when they rotate the tires, the brakes get semi-checked, etc?

Personally $220 seems a bit pricey, but I am *NOT* mechanically inclined. Give me a server/computer/software, but I can only do like wipe fluid and put air in the tires (ha!).

:)

·
Registered
12 Posts
As a hands on tool guy, I'd say it's not worth it.

But keep in mind that the dealer is in business to make money, hence that somewhat hefty charge.

If you can afford it, want piece of mind go for it. If tight on cash, pass...

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
To maintain your warranty all that you need to do are the items marked (R) replace in your owners manual for the mileage. All others are useless inspections. At 15,000 miles all you need is an oil change/filter (assuming it was not done recently) and a cabin air filter, that is it. Tire rotation, that depends if or when you had it done last. Never ever go to a dealer and say to do the 15,000 or 30,000 mile schedule, a huge rip off, all inspections. Give them a written list of only the items you want done based upon those needed to be replaced. Plus, I do not believe they actually inspect anything anyway, if it goes bad it is still covered under warranty.

At 15,000 miles, should be less than 100 and if you replace the cabin filter yourself less than 50.

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
Complete rip off, when they put the car on the lift to rotate the tires and change the oil they can just eyeball most everything on the inspection , maybe if they did stuff like test the battery they'd be earning their money, but inspecting just means they are eyeballing stuff.
Now if you issues with stuff - noises, brakes, steering then maybe, but if you aren't driving on jeep roads and such not much on a car with 15k miles warrants inspection.
But one question - why aren't they trying to sell you a fuel injection cleaning service or have they previously tried that.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I surely didn?t spend that much on my 15k mike service at my dealership. Mine just follows the factory service schedule (not all dealers try to rip you off....you just have to find a reasonable one). I recall the only replacement other than normal service was the cabin air filter. I do agree it?s important to periodically inspect the CV drive boots. If they tear, you can get dirt in the joints which will cause them to wear out prematurely (expensive repair). That can be done while the vehicle is on the rack draining the oil.

·
Registered
2017 SFS 2.0 T Ultimate
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Complete rip off, when they put the car on the lift to rotate the tires and change the oil they can just eyeball most everything on the inspection , maybe if they did stuff like test the battery they'd be earning their money, but inspecting just means they are eyeballing stuff.
Now if you issues with stuff - noises, brakes, steering then maybe, but if you aren't driving on jeep roads and such not much on a car with 15k miles warrants inspection.
But one question - why aren't they trying to sell you a fuel injection cleaning service or have they previously tried that.
AFAIK, no noises other than the stupid rear seat rattle and the center speaker (only when it's cold).

They've not suggested a cleaning service. The "suggested" 15k maintenance is something that was on their website when I went to schedule the appointment (and Hyundai sent me a flyer in the mail "reminding" me it's time for my 15k maintenance thingy).

The 2017 Owner's Manual for 15k maintenance checklist is identical (I believe) to what's on the dealer's service website. I just kinda thought that $220 was a bit much to check/inspect things. I mean when they "inspect" a hose do they just look at it, or do they actually disconnect the hose and do some sort of magical test (air pressure, etc.)?

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Inspect is typically a visual inspection.

Personally, I have a $180 lifetime (of the car) alignment policy with Firestone and $80 or so lifetime tire balance and they do the tires and alignment every 5K miles and I DIY the oil and filter changes.

Inspect Air Cleaner Filter - Pop the cover off, look at the filter, wack the dust off on a tool chest, shop vac the air inlet. Many shops might not even look at the filter at 15K miles. Dishonest shop will bring you a dirty filter from another car and try to sell you a replacement.
Inspect Battery Condition - Typically see if the car starts easily and if there is corrosion on the battery terminals. Dishonest shop will try to sell you a battery that you DON'T need. Honest MIGHT actually test the battery on a tester.
Inspect Brake Hoses and Lines - Look at them - any shop will do this when they have the wheels off.
Inspect Driveshafts and Boots - Ditto
Inspect Exhaust Pipe and Muffler - Ditto
Inspect Front Brake Disc/Pads, Calipers - Ditto, except a lot of shops will try to sell you brake pads even if you don't need them, and if you don't work on cars, it can be hard to know if they are honest or not.
Inspect Propeller Shaft - I think only 4WD.
Inspect Rear Brake Disc/Pads - Same as front
Inspect Steering Gear Box, Linkage & Boots/Lower Arm Ball Joint, Upper Arm Ball Joint - - Look at them - any shop will do this when they have the wheels off.
Inspect Suspension Mounting Bolts - Ditto.
Inspect Vacuum Hose - Look/listen for leaks.
Replace Climate Control Air Filter (for evaporator and blower unit) - $20 part, five minutes if you DIY.
Replace Engine Oil and Filter - $25 - usually DIY or dealer - but synthetic is more at the dealer.
Tire Rotation - Note that this is rotation, NOT rotation and balance ...

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
At 15k miles if there are no tell tale symptoms - brakes or steering pulling, odd noises from the brakes or suspension and if you've not off roaded or driven the car at excessive speed over bad roads the car really should be fine - tires do need to be rotated and best use of $$ I'd recommend is use of a good syn oil. There is enough ground clearance where you can inspect the CV boots without jacking the car, rips are easy to see and if they are leaking you see tell tale signs.

At 60k miles and frequent trips up and down mtn passes in CO my brakes have 10 ~15k more wear till replacement.

At 30 k or maybe 45k that inspection would seem to make more sense if you need someone else to do it.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
See Reply 4. Keep a log and write down that the other "inspections" were performed, and/or log them in at www.myhyundai.com.

As mentioned in Reply 4 - most of the inspections are meaningless anyway. For example - you look at the driveshaft boot and it looks fine. The next day, it can split and it would be covered by warranty.

The ONLY way you COULD get in warranty trouble. Let's say the driveshaft boot is leaking - normally not a big deal and a simple repair. But you don't inspect it, don't notice it, don't hear the clicking noise and drive until the bearing fails and potentially the wheel falls off the car while you are driving. Hyundai SHOULD replace the boot under warranty, but they easily COULD say the wheel, bearing, axle, and body damage would not have happened if you had inspected the boot so that is not covered.

Then again - it is really hard to prove how quickly a boot split and how long it was like that - but they would probably look for dirty (not fresh) grease on the suspension, etc.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.