Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where to begin. I know. EVERY TIME I start the car, the stupid system downloads my 'phonebook'... and I can't use BT until it's done. Is there a way to disable that 'feature'? Triied everywhere to no avail: no phonebook sub-menu on our cars, nothing on 'setup', and can't disable the feature on my phone (it just lists what it is).

But that's not the worst part. I can't dial any of my contacts by voice (remember we non-nav owners can't do it manually) because names are not recognized (wife, home, etc). But get this: I can't add them thru the 'phonebook' feature (by voice) either because system says they already exist; WTF??? Why the **** it doesn't dial them then? Geez. Okay, let's erase them and re-record them then. WRONG! System doesn't recognize the names when trying to erase them; **** it.

Finally found a way to outsmart the system, or so I thought: Record a different name with the same phone number. Bingo, it worked... until the stupid phonebook was downloaded again next time I used the car; freaking unbelievable.

Bottom line is I can't use the **** phone for the first 10 minutes, can't use the contacts, and can't record my own either because they get deleted next ignition cycle.

Is there a way to disable the transferring of contacts? Don't know why that's taking place when I can't access them manually or verbally. I'd be fine having to individually record a few contacts thru the 'phonebook' feature, and being able to use the phone since I jump in the car. Am I the only one with this problem? Many thanks for your comments.

·
Hyundai-Forums.com Vendor
369 Posts
Most importantly, what kind of phone do you have?

More than likely, this is an issue with compatibility between the phone and the BT system. I see it a lot with all different phones, although BT is "universal", like most things "universal" it is not. There are different profiles and such on phones and on the systems. Some phones ask whether you want to transfer the phonebook or not (try in your bluetooth settings on your phone). Do you have a blackberry or treo? I have a limited without nav and an Iphone and I don't auto-connect when the car starts, but I don't really seem to have issues. Sorry. Check for firmware updates for your phone, and maybe they'll release something for the system (doubtful)

What I'm trying to say is that its probably just the wrong phone for the system, not really the system's fault.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Hey man, I'll try to help with what I can. First I have yet to have a single issue with name recognition. That being said, when I got the car, I revised several of my contacts and added first and last name instead of just "wife," "mom", etc. I have a blackberry bold 9700 with work and have all my contacts in my outlook calendar (not sure if that matters). I have maybe 700 contacts but it doesn't seem to take too long to load the phonebook, not more than 5 minutes. I know a couple times I've looked up the contact in my phone and dialed it with the phone and then hit the bluetooth button (top button on left side of wheel) and it would come through the bluetooth. Not sure if it just happen to sync up by then of if you can dial via this route before the phonebook loads.

That being said, I think the bluetooth on this car is great. Sure it might take a couple minutes to load, but no car is going to be immediate. The sound is much better on the Sonata than on my Dad's Audi that he just picked up.

Good luck man :thumbsup:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Could it be an issue with your phone? Check the Hyundai website to make sure.. I think I read that some phones are partially compatible.
I have an LG Env3 I have no problem dialing by voice. I can call "home", "wife", etc and if I have multiple numbers I can say "call dad cell" or "call dad home" and it works just fine. Calling by number works great too. The only one that I had some issue with was call voicemail.

The downloading of the phone book only takes like a minute in my car. I probably have about 60-70 contacts.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Okay, I have a Sony Erricson c905. I also have a Samsung a707h. Both of my phones, when you dig into the bluetooth menus on the phone, have a feature called "allow device". I can set this to "ALWAYS allow" or "ask for permission". When I set it on "ask for permssion" the car effectively connects via bluetooth when the car is connected, requests to download the phonebook and is denied since I have to give it my permission via the phone. It isn't going to cut out the wait time totally, but it significantly speeds up the process so you have access to the phone more quickly. Search around on your phone's bluetooth menus and see if you have this option. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks a lot for all the replies. Let me start by saying I have had ZERO trouble with my other cars, but on them my contacts were only downloaded after I paired the phone, not every freaking time I turned the car on. I could manually download the contacts, of course, but I had to initiate that. I have a Samsung SCH-u550. And yes, I have it set up as 'ask for permission', but that's probably only for connecting calls, not downloading contacts, because darn car doesn't even ask.

Yes, BT works fine. And I can also dial by voice and store names (different than contacts). Everything would be great if I could disable that feature. Doesn't make sense I can't call my contacts (not recognized), but can't erase them either (recognized). On the M3 I can dial directly from iDrive, or store phones on a memory preset and just dial them by pressing the button. Or by voice too. Oh well. Didn't want nav when I never use it, but should have got it in retrospect (money wasn't an issue); oh well.

Now, how do you dial numbers on your contacts? Do you say them like you have them in your list (last name + name)? I have several one-word names, like office, home, wife, etc., and system doesn't recognize them to call or delete, but when I try to record the same name, then it says 'already recorded'. I don't think it's the phone, to be honest, but will try to reorganize the contacts. Tried disabling the transfer of contacts, but can't be done (no such option on the phone). Maybe it's time to buy a new phone (I'm not the kind who buys the latest and greatest). At least I can answer calls when the darn thing stops transferring contacts (maybe it's time to erase all the ones I don't need anymore). Thanks folks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have the 2011 Ltd w/o Nav, and I gotta say, BT is working perfectly. I have not had one single issue with my iPhone 3Gs. Yes, it does download contacts every time I start the car. I don't have tons of contacts and it only takes a minute, but it still seems silly (it should download the first time, save them, then allow you to manually re-sync whenever you want. Perhaps we can petition them to make this available in an update?).

I also have my contacts on the phone organized by first name/last name, which is not the default, but no trouble with voice dialing by name or by number.

Did you try your phone(s) with other new Sonata's on the lot? I wonder if it's an incompatibility with your phone, or an issue specific to your car.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Also, be aware that once the phone book is loaded, if you want to call by name, it's best to say "call name", then wait for the prompt, then say the name.

You can also use the system before the phonebook downloads by simply dialing from the phone itself. That's what I do if I need to make a call before the phonebook completes downloading.

·
Registered
932 Posts
QUOTE (Todd Nicholson @ May 17 2010, 09:07 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=323636
Also, be aware that once the phone book is loaded, if you want to call by name, it's best to say "call name", then wait for the prompt, then say the name.
Yes, I've seen posts that seem to indication that you could say, "Call John Smith." But I've never gotten that to work. I always have to say, "Call name" and wait for the prompt and then give it the actual name.

·
Registered
90 Posts
QUOTE (midas69 @ May 17 2010, 09:00 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=323654
Yes, I've seen posts that seem to indication that you could say, "Call John Smith." But I've never gotten that to work. I always have to say, "Call name" and wait for the prompt and then give it the actual name.
Which button are you pushing? If you push the top button, you can say "Call John Smith default", or "Call John Smith mobile" or however it's in your phone, and it'll call.

·
Registered
932 Posts
QUOTE (legacy @ May 17 2010, 11:45 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=323666
Which button are you pushing? If you push the top button, you can say "Call John Smith default", or "Call John Smith mobile" or however it's in your phone, and it'll call.
I always use the top (VOICE COMMAND) button. It's never worked for me.

·
Registered
75 Posts
QUOTE (elp_jc @ May 16 2010, 09:48 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=323547
Where to begin. I know. EVERY TIME I start the car, the stupid system downloads my 'phonebook'... and I can't use BT until it's done. Is there a way to disable that 'feature'? Triied everywhere to no avail: no phonebook sub-menu on our cars, nothing on 'setup', and can't disable the feature on my phone (it just lists what it is).

But that's not the worst part. I can't dial any of my contacts by voice (remember we non-nav owners can't do it manually) because names are not recognized (wife, home, etc). But get this: I can't add them thru the 'phonebook' feature (by voice) either because system says they already exist; WTF??? Why the **** it doesn't dial them then? Geez. Okay, let's erase them and re-record them then. WRONG! System doesn't recognize the names when trying to erase them; **** it.

Finally found a way to outsmart the system, or so I thought: Record a different name with the same phone number. Bingo, it worked... until the stupid phonebook was downloaded again next time I used the car; freaking unbelievable.

Bottom line is I can't use the **** phone for the first 10 minutes, can't use the contacts, and can't record my own either because they get deleted next ignition cycle.

Is there a way to disable the transferring of contacts? Don't know why that's taking place when I can't access them manually or verbally. I'd be fine having to individually record a few contacts thru the 'phonebook' feature, and being able to use the phone since I jump in the car. Am I the only one with this problem? Many thanks for your comments.

You probably can't use "call [name]" function because of spanish names in your contacts. However, I am not sure why your recorded entries are "one-time use" only. My phone has a compatibity issue so I can't use "call [name]" function, so what I did was I manually added few contacts through Sonata's bluetooth system with "name tag". Of course I can use "call [name]" function to call those contacts I manually added through Sonata. Yes, those numbers are on my phone's contact list as well, and No, my Sonata doesn't erase those entries with recorded name-tag.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey gang, have an update. But before that, THANKS A LOT FOR ALL YOUR HELP!!!! :liebe011: :thumbsup:

Yeah, the middle button is apparently only good for hanging up calls; that was part of the problem. I also deleted a ton of my contacts and now the ones I recorded manually stayed recorded :banana: . The bad news is I still can't use my downloaded contacts, but again, I only make 'emergency' (short) calls from the car, so only my office, wife and kids need to be recorded. The good news is my wife was able to make calls from her contacts right off the bat... after using the top button :grin: . The other good news is the BT on this car has the best sound I've ever had, and works perfectly fine answering calls.

Bottom line is there definitely is a compatibility issue with my phone, but my much smaller contact list only takes a few minutes to download now, and other than the screen always showing the same number when receiving a call (no matter who calls me, it shows one of my daughter's number), it works flawlessly. BT works perfectly with my wife's phone, so now I know it's not the car. Many thanks again for all your help. Remember to always use the TOP button for any voice commands :bwekk: . Good evening.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts