Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Tuscan SEL ;21 Sonata N Line
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finished installing my dashcam earlier. Ran into a few as to location of cam since I have a tint strip on the top part of windshield. Anyhow, I’m currently powering via the 12v socket, I routed the cable nice and tidy but that last one foot or so I’m not sure where to hide the cable. Can the visible cable depicted below be routed from behind that area to the 12v socket. ?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you considered or will you consider something like this in the future? Not that much harder to do than what you already have done- Amazon.com: Hardwire Installation Kit + Fuse Tap for Dash Cam,Micro USB Port, Low Voltage Protection(10ft): Beauty
Yeah of course. But now I have to reroute the mini USB cable from cam again. Since I noticed the hard wire kits have a pre existing mini USB which is non removable. Don't they sell a hard wire kit with just the black box and a usb socket so one could use existing wire?

What type/ size of fuses are used in our vehicles? Cheers

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
in pic 1, in both our sonata and elantra, the lower panel comes off easily. if you can remove that panel, then you can thread the cable behind the console, and underneath the steering column. if you look closely, there is a tiny panel in the lower right side, same as our sonata/elantra. pry that off, and there will be an 8mm head screw. the rest of the panel can be accessed by prying off the triangular cover in pic 3. pull off the inner door seal, and then pry off that cover. there will be 2 more 8mm hd screws(maybe more, ours have 2), then the panel comes off. some of the clips holding that panel are kinda cranky, dont get mad and break them. in pic 2, you can easily pry off the a frame cover, but it will only come off about an inch. you can take it completely off, but you gotta cut a clip, it is not reuseable. on all 3 cars i never cut that clip, there is just enough room to run the cable thru, BEHIND the airbag. then up to the front of the headliner. use a plastic pry tool, and the cable can be stuffed into the front of the headliner. however, all said and done, with the lower panel removed, you now have easy access to the fuse box, and it would be easy and more practicable to hardwire it. the add a circuit taps just plug in. i used the viofo hardwires, they have 3 connections, hot, switched, and ground. this way i can put the camera in parking mode, and when it is parked, and gets hit, it will record. there is also a battery minder, you set the voltage limit, and if it goes below that, the minder cuts the power so the battery dont drain

·
Registered
2008 Optima LX 2.4
150 Posts
Easy way to do it is buy a fuse tap and 12v cig lighter socket. Secure socket somewhere in the dash near fuse box. That's if you want to use the cable with the socket.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yeah of course. But now I have to reroute the mini USB cable from cam again. Since I noticed the hard wire kits have a pre existing mini USB which is non removable. Don't they sell a hard wire kit with just the black box and a usb socket so one could use existing wire?

What type/ size of fuses are used in our vehicles? Cheers
They probably do sell a kit somewhere with just the black box and socket. I just did a quick search to find the link I posted. Google is your friend.
Pretty sure Hyundai uses standard auto blade fuses. They are marked with their amperage rating.

·
Registered
3 Posts
in pic 1, in both our sonata and elantra, the lower panel comes off easily. if you can remove that panel, then you can thread the cable behind the console, and underneath the steering column. if you look closely, there is a tiny panel in the lower right side, same as our sonata/elantra. pry that off, and there will be an 8mm head screw. the rest of the panel can be accessed by prying off the triangular cover in pic 3. pull off the inner door seal, and then pry off that cover. there will be 2 more 8mm hd screws(maybe more, ours have 2), then the panel comes off. some of the clips holding that panel are kinda cranky, dont get mad and break them. in pic 2, you can easily pry off the a frame cover, but it will only come off about an inch. you can take it completely off, but you gotta cut a clip, it is not reuseable. on all 3 cars i never cut that clip, there is just enough room to run the cable thru, BEHIND the airbag. then up to the front of the headliner. use a plastic pry tool, and the cable can be stuffed into the front of the headliner. however, all said and done, with the lower panel removed, you now have easy access to the fuse box, and it would be easy and more practicable to hardwire it. the add a circuit taps just plug in. i used the viofo hardwires, they have 3 connections, hot, switched, and ground. this way i can put the camera in parking mode, and when it is parked, and gets hit, it will record. there is also a battery minder, you set the voltage limit, and if it goes below that, the minder cuts the power so the battery dont drain
I don,t see the pics you are refering to.

·
Registered
4 Posts
They probably do sell a kit somewhere with just the black box and socket. I just did a quick search to find the link I posted. Google is your friend.
Pretty sure Hyundai uses standard auto blade fuses. They are marked with their amperage rating.
Lots of hardwiring kits out there, and I agree with you, Google is everyone's friend for finding this stuff. Sometimes the camera manufacturer has kits available, or you could look at Dash Cam Cables, Clips, & Hardwiring Kits

Hyundai does use the blade type fuses, but just make sure to get the right type, there are several. The amp rating is marked on each fuse in your fuse box. You can also get the add-a-fuse kits on Amazon that basically piggyback onto an existing fuse. That is what I did when I added my 2-channel Thinkware into a Honda Civic hatchback.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lots of hardwiring kits out there, and I agree with you, Google is everyone's friend for finding this stuff. Sometimes the camera manufacturer has kits available, or you could look at Dash Cam Cables, Clips, & Hardwiring Kits

Hyundai does use the blade type fuses, but just make sure to get the right type, there are several. The amp rating is marked on each fuse in your fuse box. You can also get the add-a-fuse kits on Amazon that basically piggyback onto an existing fuse. That is what I did when I added my 2-channel Thinkware into a Honda Civic hatchback.

View attachment 459991
I wasn’t asking about hardwiring my cam. It was suggested by the other person. All I wanted to know originally was if I could feed that cable from the rear (oooh er ). Don’t worry about , I’ll work it myself then post a solution so that it might help someone in the future.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, I'll probably end up getting a 12V cigar socket and hardwiring that into the fuse box then plugging in the already routed usb cable from cam into it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I wasn’t asking about hardwiring my cam. It was suggested by the other person. All I wanted to know originally was if I could feed that cable from the rear (oooh er ). Don’t worry about , I’ll work it myself then post a solution so that it might help someone in the future.
Yeah, I won't worry about it, so no need to get your knickers in a bunch. And the reply was to @Vermonter (hence the quote), and I was trying to help on the types of automotive fuses that are used.

Carry on though, and go back to feeding the cable up your rear. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Tucson Hybrid Blue
13 Posts
Here's a vid of how to take the parts off.
. You need to take the center console off to take off the little piece under the screen. If you take that off you should be able to feed the cable to the place you were talking about. I think it's better to route it through the passenger side glove compartment though. Sometimes the steering wheel can chaff the wire and there's usually a lot less wires going through the passenger side pillar.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here's a vid of how to take the parts off.
. You need to take the center console off to take off the little piece under the screen. If you take that off you should be able to feed the cable to the place you were talking about. I think it's better to route it through the passenger side glove compartment though. Sometimes the steering wheel can chaff the wire and there's usually a lot less wires going through the passenger side pillar.
Thanks that clarifies it much better than the tech info site which I reviewed a few weeks back.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts