Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would those people getting such great mileage please show a scan of your ticket with mpg and miles together? I had an Elantra and managed 40 mpg several times, but my Santa Fe has gotten close to 24-25 mpg on a trip. I had a brother in-law who owed a Ford camper and drove it to Florida quite often. He was always loaded down and 5 people in it driving at highway speeds or over. He always got great miles on his camper, but if you figure it for the trip and do it honest, it was nowhere near what he claimed.
My best tries only gave me 25 mpg on a tank of highway driving. I like Hyundai but I don't believe some of the mpg some list.:unsure:

·
Registered
161 Posts
I think a thread has been started...
I agree..28 mpg is the max for me on highway, and that's coasting down hills.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
How did you get to 24 - 25 mpg on yours ? I just completed a 2k mile trip of over 90% highway and only managed 21.4 . It's AWD with 2.0T but when you start running at 65 mph + it becomes a very thirsty machine. Fule economy is not it's strong suit IMO.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I just got back from vacation last night. From Vero Beach, FL to Baltimore MD and back. I-95 running at 77 mph was 27.8 mpg while in town I was getting 32 mpg with eco mode on. I was watching how much fuel the SF was using at different speeds but, 77 mph was the best for me. I use premium fuel only, not sure if that is a key factor but I thought I was getting pretty good fuel mileage on our trip. I also have a K&N drop in filter as well.

·
Registered
870 Posts
How did you get to 24 - 25 mpg on yours ? I just completed a 2k mile trip of over 90% highway and only managed 21.4 . It's AWD with 2.0T but when you start running at 65 mph + it becomes a very thirsty machine. Fule economy is not it's strong suit IMO.
Same here, did a 250 mile trip, probably 95% hwy (speed in the 75 to 80mph) and managed to get 22.2mpg (calculated by Fuely, the dash was showing 23.1mpg). I guess if you do hwy only and keep it at 65 then it's possible but at real world speeds it drops quite fast, especially for the 2.0T AWD model. I really miss my TSX in this aspect where city mileage was better than Santa Fe's hwy mileage.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Where we live doesn't help at all. The altitude, the hills etc. Even our flat roads are not really that flat. My best is about 24 and that was probably 75-80% freeway at 60-70.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Where we live doesn't help at all. The altitude, the hills etc. Even our flat roads are not really that flat. My best is about 24 and that was probably 75-80% freeway at 60-70.
My trip took me NW to Glacier N'tl Park - so a lot of miles were logged in MT - where I had scoped out the ethanol free gas stations and used them when possible - could tell the difference in mpgs running ethanol free gas - seemed to be at least 5% and as high as 8 % , hard to figure because of the variables in terrain, so had I not used this gas I'd expect my mileage would have been below 21 . No roof rack and not a heavily loaded vehicle. But I did track fillup gallons and total miles covered.

Being in the USA I have since written my reps in DC regards my feelings about allowing 15% ethanol content.

·
Registered
91 Posts
My trip took me NW to Glacier N'tl Park - so a lot of miles were logged in MT - where I had scoped out the ethanol free gas stations and used them when possible - could tell the difference in mpgs running ethanol free gas - seemed to be at least 5% and as high as 8 % , hard to figure because of the variables in terrain, so had I not used this gas I'd expect my mileage would have been below 21 . No roof rack and not a heavily loaded vehicle. But I did track fillup gallons and total miles covered.

Being in the USA I have since written my reps in DC regards my feelings about allowing 15% ethanol content.
I did as well. 15% ethanol is nothing but a bad idea. I'm all for using things other than fossil fuels but not ones made inefficiently from food stuffs.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Would those people getting such great mileage please show a scan of your ticket with mpg and miles together?

My best tries only gave me 25 mpg on a tank of highway driving. I like Hyundai but I don't believe some of the mpg some list.:unsure:
This thread needs to be moved to the already existing 'Fuel Capacity and Range and MPG readings' thread...but as long as it`s here, I`m gonna reply to the OP`s post...

I personally don`t care if you don`t believe mine, or any other members` posts, about their MPG, as you say above in the above quote...

There is no contest to see who can get the best MPG out of their SFS...Folks pass along their info to inform others of their own MPG results, in the interest of general information...

There is no question that driving habits, local terrain, FWD or AWD, and MANY other things, play a major part in ones` MPG, (good or bad)...These factors should be recognized...

If the OP visits the above mentioned thread, and reads all the posts, he will see many detailed posts from myself, and others, about the factors that played a part in the MPG results that were posted on that thread...

P.S....What does the OP mean by a..."scan of your 'ticket' with MPG and mileage together" ??

1 - 11 of 11 Posts