Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my '06 Sonata GL the third center brake light does not work all the time. I say all the time because it has a mind of its own; it works when it wants to. I have changed the bulb and it was working perfectly fine for months and months until recently when it suddenly began to act up. Any suggestions please let me know.

·
22,793 Posts
If not the brake light switch, check for a loose connection to the light. Sometimes, just puling it out and reinserting it will correct it, IF that's the cause. But if it did it once... Wouldn't be a bad idea to check the bulb. Or, simply replace the thing...not that expensive.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you had your brake switch replaced? Just a thought....
To answer your question, no I haven't. Doesn't the brake switch also control the side brake lights as well? If it does, then that probably isn't the problem, because the side brake lights work just fine.

·
Registered
217 Posts
On my '06 Sonata GL the third center brake light does not work all the time. I say all the time because it has a mind of its own; it works when it wants to. I have changed the bulb and it was working perfectly fine for months and months until recently when it suddenly began to act up. Any suggestions please let me know.
I had this issue all the time in my 06 Sonata. It was due to a loose connector/cable at the light assembly, at the mount where you attach the bulb. Wiggling the cable would help, but would never fix it for good. Very irritating, and the replacement part was too expensive for my taste to have it fixed properly...

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
If not the brake light switch, check for a loose connection to the light. Sometimes, just puling it out and reinserting it will correct it, IF that's the cause. But if it did it once... Wouldn't be a bad idea to check the bulb. Or, simply replace the thing...not that expensive.
Not that expensive Rich but in the case of the 06 Sonata a very royal pain in the arse to do. I am not not looking forward to doing mine when it's time.

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/181-n...924-replace-high-mounted-rear-stop-light.html

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had this issue all the time in my 06 Sonata. It was due to a loose connector/cable at the light assembly, at the mount where you attach the bulb. Wiggling the cable would help, but would never fix it for good. Very irritating, and the replacement part was too expensive for my taste to have it fixed properly...
Seppo, do you know relatively how much the replacement part costs?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Seppo, do you know relatively how much the replacement part costs?
Sorry, I do not remember the price. I have a vague memory that the dealership wanted to replace the whole brake light assembly, and thus the high price.

And, as someone else pointed out, accessing that location (to fix it and operate on it yourself) is a pain.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry, I do not remember the price. I have a vague memory that the dealership wanted to replace the whole brake light assembly, and thus the high price.

And, as someone else pointed out, accessing that location (to fix it and operate on it yourself) is a pain.
I know it is, I've changed the bulb on my own once, gotta say it is an unfortunate design.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts