Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have an ongoing, extremely annoying problem with my high-mounted brake light. It works fine, but it buzzes...as in vibrates. When I hit a certain speed, or other conditions, it makes a gawd-awful, annoying buzz sound.

Since I got the car three or so months ago, I've been meaning to have someone else drive so I could track the buzz I'm always hearing behind me, but never had a good opportunity. Today, as the car was warming up, I heard 'The Buzz,' gritted my teeth and jumped in the back seat. It stopped buzzing before I got there, so I started pounding on the rear deck to see if I could reproduce it. No problem...buzzed like a Deadhead listening to Jerry Garcia.

I know the prescribed procedure for getting the back deck out involves removing practically everything from the front seats back, up to the headliner, so I'd like to avoid that (although my back speakers are shot). I don't see any way short of major surgery to get in there and damp out the vibes that are giving me bad vibes.

I'm hoping someone else has a better idea. Help restore my sanity, please! (like that's possible) :crying2:

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Make sure the torsion rods for trunk lift (under deck) is in the hooks ??

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hey Man...I lost my buzz

Examined the third brake light the other day, found out that it's fastened with a couple of nuts attached to studs on the unit. They protrude through the rear deck and are easy to get to from the trunk.

Two nuts and a connector, and the assembly was out. Four screws and the unit came apart. What I found in there was a bank of LEDs behind a red lens that is merely slipped loosely into the plastic housing. It was this lens that was vibrating and causing the buzz...a really loud, annoying buzz that was the only extraneous noise in an otherwise surprisingly quiet interior.

A little silicone sealant around the perimeter of the lens completely damped it out. Peace, man

1 - 4 of 4 Posts