Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I am a newbie to this forum and hoping you all can give me some ideas of my questions for the latest model of Tucson as I am hoping to get one soon.

I live in Vancouver Canada and not sure if the Hyundai has their 2011 Tuscon model yet ? This is already Aug 2010 now, if I buy, I might as well get the 2011 model assuming it has some bug fixes, improvements and additional features.. Correct me if I am wrong please.

My main question is that I've seen some Tucson/IX35 on the web has the keyless entry. I mean not only a remote key chain like my Honda Civic Si, but the proximity key feature (key in the pocket around the car and you can lock and unlock the doors). Also, some of them has the in dash start button. In the local dealer, I did not see this in my test Tucson ? I guess this may be the Canadian version does not come with this feature even with the highest mode (Limited with premium package). Can it be easily installed one as after market option ?

For the folks in US, do you have the proximity key and start button option there ? If the US version has this, I may just purchase one from US and import it to Canada instead !

For the power wise, do you guys feel this 4cyl engine powerful enough for highway driving ? Particularly when trying to pass other vehicles at 100KM range. BC has hills that go up and down. When I test drove it in Richmond (flat land no hills) I could not test that out.. However, I was kind of surprised this car is very peppy even with 5 people sitting in ( the sales lady came with my family) compared to the Mitshibushi Outback (6 cyl engine) with 4 of us in the vehicle we just test dove on the same day. My wife said, she feel more power from the Tucson than the Outback.

BTW, I have seen some web site showing another version of Tucson called "ix-onix". It looks outstanding ! Is it the future model only ? of it is the 2011 model in some countries ?

Many thanks in advance.

·
Registered
316 Posts
My wife's 2010 Tuck, Feb 2010 build in Korea, bought May 2010, does not have, nor did it offer, true keyless entry..
it is Limited and loaded with every option on Hyundai's site, at the time.

It obviously has no Start button on dash, either.

I've driven several cars with true keyless entry and I don't understand the enthusiasm for this "feature", but just, imo.

The 2.4 ltr engine has plenty of go; it's not a 6 or V8, but it goes. We too live in a very mountainous area, but I've
never felt it wouldn't get and go. And, we've done one ~1600 mile highway trip, (when almost new), and it never
felt underpowered in interstate highway situs.

Not a Hyundai Spotter expert, but the Ix-Onix is a concept car, imo.

The 2011s should be "on the boat"/coming; not sure what real changes are in effect, other than a 2.0 engine.
If one found the 2010 they wanted, I would not think twice about a '10 vs '11.
GL, mD

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The true keyless entry feature is handy as you don't have to hunt for the keys in your handbag especially with all the groceries on hands after a shopping.. The push start button feels and look cool too... Don't we all men like to push buttons ? hehe.. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
The smart key is not available in the US version of the Tucson. I also have a 2010 Limited AWD with every available option and I have no problem with the power. The 2.4L motor pulls it's weight just fine and it has plenty of pep while climbing hills, even with 5 people in it. My only gripe would be the mileage, it's fine for me but not as good as I though that it would get. The premium stereo has awesome features but I wish it had a bit more volume. I have been thinking about upgrading the speakers and adding an amp.
I would probably wait for a 2011, only b/c they are just hitting the market. Unless your concern is money then you should be able to get a better deal on a 2010. I heard that the 2011 went up $800 USD in price. I don't think there are any changes other than the available 2.0 for the GLS edition and the 2.4 would be optional for the base model.It's a great ride you will not regret purchasing it.

Good luck
Joe

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I really don't understand that why they don't provide the Smart Key option to US market ? If people willing to pay for it, it should be a option at least ! especially when they have already engineered and configured the setting with the proper push start button housing on the dash already !
Also heard that the direct injection 4cyl engine will come soon.. maybe 2012 which will boost it to 201 HP.. Who needs a 6 cyl ...
BTW, Joeeey, what kind of gas mileage are you talking about ? anywhere close to 23 - 25 combined ? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
QUOTE (oris98 @ Aug 4 2010, 10:19 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=347230
BTW, Joeeey, what kind of gas mileage are you talking about ? anywhere close to 23 - 25 combined ? Thanks.
Well as far as the fuel mileage. I drive about 20 miles per day (10 miles each way to and from work) and it's mainly local driving. I always have the A/C on auto and I drive with a bit of a heavy foot on the accelerator. I get about 18 - 20 MPG. I also have the AWD model which gets a bit less MPG compared to the FWD model. I am still very happy with it. I took the family on a 600 mile trip last month and I was getting around 26 - 28 MPG, but I was doing no less than 65 - 70 MPH on the highway. I am sure if I kept it under 55 mph the mileage would have been much better. btw I would have loved to have the "push to start" option.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, in the Honda world, lots of people can mod the SI to add push button on dash.. For Tucson, it already has the circuit designed and manufactured to the European market, can it be some home some handy man be able to order the part from hyundai UK or AU and get it hooked up to the US version of Tucson ?? I just assume some people may be able to do this think of mod ??

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
QUOTE (oris98 @ Aug 5 2010, 10:54 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=347467
Well, in the Honda world, lots of people can mod the SI to add push button on dash.. For Tucson, it already has the circuit designed and manufactured to the European market, can it be some home some handy man be able to order the part from hyundai UK or AU and get it hooked up to the US version of Tucson ?? I just assume some people may be able to do this think of mod ??
I would like to look into that. In theory I cannot understand how do you stop a vehicle from staring when it's does not have a transponder system. Otherwise anyone can just get in your vehicle and push and start it without any key.

·
Registered
838 Posts
QUOTE (motordavid @ Aug 6 2010, 02:52 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=347617
My '52 Ford had a push button to "start";
I remain mystified over the enthusiasm for this
"new feature". :whistling:
My 1st car a 51' Ford had this feature as well. I guess it's for people who are to lazy to take the keys out of their pocket, and put them in the ignition,,,lol

By the way my 2nd car a 56' Buick Special Hardtop was 3spd stick (3 on the tree) with the standard V8, rare back then, and had a clutch switch, besides the normal ignition switch, it wouldn't start untill you pushed the clutch in. Very annoying to me as a kid, I always had to put the clutch "pedal to the metal" to start it, can you imagine they had this technology way back then?

This brings back memories, Yeah, I also used to drive all my Chevy's without using the key, until my old 60' Chevy got stolen by joyriding kids, but then recovered. They used to have a protruding key slot tab, once you put the key in and took it off Lock, you could then take the key out, and just grab the tab, and turn it to On, then Start, and Off, I never used the key,,,lol, then again back in the 50's & 60's, we never locked our doors, even our house doors.

·
Registered
570 Posts
@motordavid: Not only "enthusiasm", but downright demanding! In the newest edition of MotorTrend (which arrived yesterday), one of the editors was doing a long-term update on the Tucson, and the only thing he could find to say about it was "Why isn't there a push-button start in a car approaching $30k?" What a complete buffoon. Yeah, that really affects the way the car rides, handles, and especially the mpg! If this is a deal-breaker for someone, they really aren't looking at the vehicle itself.

@oris98: The power is plenty adequate. Can you find other vehicles with more power? Sure. You sacrifice mileage to do so, but heck, you could even get the Santa Fe with it's V6 engine and have a great vehicle. I just returned from a trip through the mountains of Tennessee and Kentucky, and this little 4-banger was solid. It climbed with little effort and had plenty of passing power when called upon. While we only had two people, we had loaded suitcases, golf clubs, and two bikes on the trailer hitch, so we were pulling enough of a load. Mileage with all of that was about 26 for the whole trip, with average speeds of 75+ for most of it. I have been getting around 24.5 mpg in my all-around driving, which is usually 50/50 city/highway. Also, I was planning on using the manual mode through the mountains to keep it from gear-hunting, but some of the grades were just too steep and the shifts were usually so smooth, it didn't bother me any. I imagine I could have squeezed out a little bit more mpg, but it wasn't worth the extra effort at the time.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your decision.

tim B)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks TimmyB,

75+ with loaded weight on hilly road is very impressive for an SUV AWD class.. I think I like the overall vehicle from engine power, interior to exterier design, I just like this vehicle more and more.. Have the smart key is of course a bonus. It will not be a deal breaker however. It is just the question that I believe most people would have for Hyundai that for such a car manufacturer that portraying their image as high tech, trendy, modern and fully understand what the customers want, but they don't go that extra step to satisfy their customers with the feature that they will like to see and and buy. Particularly that this feature has already designed, manufactured and deployed in the same car that is sold in other countries.. Even for just extra $200 - $300 option, I am sure lots of people will pay for that option. This is just my 2 cents..

·
Registered
570 Posts
QUOTE (oris98 @ Aug 6 2010, 11:56 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=347731
Thanks TimmyB,

75+ with loaded weight on hilly road is very impressive for an SUV AWD class.. I think I like the overall vehicle from engine power, interior to exterier design, I just like this vehicle more and more.. Have the smart key is of course a bonus. It will not be a deal breaker however. It is just the question that I believe most people would have for Hyundai that for such a car manufacturer that portraying their image as high tech, trendy, modern and fully understand what the customers want, but they don't go that extra step to satisfy their customers with the feature that they will like to see and and buy. Particularly that this feature has already designed, manufactured and deployed in the same car that is sold in other countries.. Even for just extra $200 - $300 option, I am sure lots of people will pay for that option. This is just my 2 cents..
Oh, no doubt, it would be a "cool" feature. I am sure there is some reason why it is not here in NA, probably related to some US safety requirement that they would have to upgrade their system or something. :eek:

Just to be clear, though, I do have the FWD, not the AWD. Either way, I am very pleased with the power and mileage of this vehicle.

tim B)

·
Registered
570 Posts
Two more pieces of info, if you are still considering:

First, there is a great article in this month's Automobile Magazine about the rise of Hyundai as a real player in the world car scene. The part of interest to you would be the crazy amount of changes that Hyundai makes during each year of a model. They are very good listeners and are willing (and able) to make changes quickly. With that in mind, you are clearly better off getting one of the new 2011 models.

Secondly, the new Kia Sportage, which is the clone-car of the Tucson, IS offered in 2011 with the proximity key and push-button start. Whether or not the Tucson is getting it, I haven't heard, but it is on the official Kia website.

Hope this helps.

tim B)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the info TimmyB !

I have looked at the 2011 Kia Stortage and compared to the Hyundai Tucson, the Tucson is still a better looking from both outside to inside ! Tucson is just more sexier than the storage even though both car have the same guts. I am hoping Hyundai can listen to this and not restricted their market share expansion opportunity particularly that the competitors such as Honda CRV is very dated in model line up and Toyota RAV4 is just not innovative enough to complete with the new CUV market. I looked at both and none of them get me excited ! Before we test drove the Tucson, my wife was kept saying that CRV would be the choice but as soon as she tried out the Tucson, she has her heart set for the Hyundai.. Simple as that ! Yes, I think we will go for the 2011 Tucson...
Thanks again..

·
Registered
3 Posts
QUOTE (oris98 @ Aug 9 2010, 02:27 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=348099
Thanks for the info TimmyB !

I have looked at the 2011 Kia Stortage and compared to the Hyundai Tucson, the Tucson is still a better looking from both outside to inside ! Tucson is just more sexier than the storage even though both car have the same guts. I am hoping Hyundai can listen to this and not restricted their market share expansion opportunity particularly that the competitors such as Honda CRV is very dated in model line up and Toyota RAV4 is just not innovative enough to complete with the new CUV market. I looked at both and none of them get me excited ! Before we test drove the Tucson, my wife was kept saying that CRV would be the choice but as soon as she tried out the Tucson, she has her heart set for the Hyundai.. Simple as that ! Yes, I think we will go for the 2011 Tucson...
Thanks again..

Go for 2011, I have a new one with 2.0 gasoline engine 4WD! It is very good! 480 km to empty the 55liter tank. :clap:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts